New computer audio system
May 22, 2007 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

andrus

New Head-Fier
Well at first I was just going to get some headphones for my amp/zune but I figured I might as well buy some stuff for my computer too
rolleyes.gif
. I'm pretty much set on the MS-1's for my headphones and have about 300-400 for a semi-decent audio system. I'm thinking a sound card, receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers. (does a receiver serve as an amp?)

For the sound card, probably an AV710?

I have no idea for the receiver/speakers though. What's a good price balance between them? Is there really a huge difference between say a $70 receiver and a $150 one, what exactly is better about them?

So yeah, help a newb out
600smile.gif

May 22, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 8
Get the Creative S750
tongue.gif

They're pretty nice. For sound card, if you're going primarily for music, might as well get an E-Mu 0404.

If you want gaming and everything else, X-Fi.

- lk

May 22, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 8
Err.. I don't want surround, especially not 7.1 lol..

I'll be using it almost completely for music so don't need an X-Fi. I thought the 710 was really good for the money? Or is it missing something important?

May 22, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 8
For $25, it seems to be quite worth it. I've got a computer running on ASUS's integrated audio... might as well make the switch. Review, if you haven't already seen it.

For a 2.1 setup, I haven't really heard anything better than the Philips MMS430 (for the price I got it at, US $20).

- lk

May 24, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 8
How about a sound card for transcribing LPs by connecting to an audio system? I just want to replace my tape deck at this point to simplify the process. Is there something out there with good noise rejection, 24bit and RCA jacks built in?

May 24, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 8
One of the best Stereo sound cards I have came across is the M-audio audiophile 24/96. Even has coax. dig. if you want to run a external dac. As for the reciever/amp, if you are not looking to have a tuner or multiple sources I would look into the Sonic Impact T-amp. I have put this amp through many test, performs very well. It is also really small. Speakers? go audition some.

Hope this helps.

May 24, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 8
May 24, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
300-400 for a semi-decent audio system...does a receiver serve as an amp?

Yes, a receiver has both a preamplifier (the part that allows source selection and volume attenuation) and a power amplifier (large amount of amplification) built in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrus
For the sound card, probably an AV710?

With a budget of $300 to $400, it's not a good idea to skimp on the source. This is where all of your music will be coming from--if the sound quality coming out of the sound card isn't great, it won't get any better as it's amplified. Some people recommend spending equal amounts on the source and headphones (or in your case, speakers). So, I wouldn't recommend the AV-710 after personally owning one. It's a decent--if finicky--budget card, but it doesn't stack up to offerings in the $80+ range (X-Fi, E-MU, M-Audio, etc.).

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrus
Is there really a huge difference between say a $70 receiver and a $150 one, what exactly is better about them?

Between $70 and $150, not much. $150 is still in the low "budget" range, in terms of receiver cost. More expensive receivers add more and different types of inputs and outputs, in addition to cleaner, stronger amplification. For that price range, it's probably a good idea to check out the used receiver market. If surround and video features aren't important, you could consider an integrated amplifier, which is an audio-only stereo preamp/power amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back