New Computer: ASUS Essence STX II vs Schiit Magni 3 + Modi 2 Stack vs Onboard Audio
May 28, 2018 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AlexM13

New Head-Fier
Okay, first of all I wasn't sure where this topic belonged, several of the categories seemed to fit fine. I just shoved it into "Dedicated Source Components" since it seems the most generalistic and correct.

Basically, I'm building a new computer since my old one is dying.

Here's a link to the machine I'm intending to build.

I'm popping this question because I have three options for my audio solution:
Having never heard any of these I can't really decide. I've been using an Oppo HA2 for ages now, but it's connector has become all lose and finnicky so now I'm gonna have to replace it.

What I'm mainly driving is a pair of AKG K7XX Headphones. I also have a Shure SRH 960. I mainly listen to music, watch anime, and play games.

Any videos I watch usually aren't streamed sources, rather high-quality torrent downloads - meaning they often have 5.1 audio tracks and the likes. For playback I use MPC-HC+MadVR+SVP with LAV Filters I update myself.

I've got these three arguments in my head for the three options:

Schiit Magni + Modi: "I bet that's the best solution for clear and transparent stereo audio quality..."

ASUS Essence STX II: "I bet that's the best for gaming and multipurpose in general - probably supports virtual surround and better imaging in games and with surround audio sources and supports far more technologies in general..."

Onboard Audio: "People say that onboard audio is fine nowadays, I wonder if it's even worth the money to buy extra audio equipment or if I would hardly hear the difference... I wonder if dedicated audio solutions is basically snake-oil for most headphones/users at this point..."

That's about it, I'd like to hear some opinions if anyone's had any expereince with these before or knows anything about the hardware involved and it's quality.

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 2
I think it's worth noting that I am also considering the JDS Labs Objective2 ODAC, but it's a bit out of my price range so I'm just wondering if it's worth it over just getting the Schiit stack or Xonar.

While it's expensive new, there seems to be good bargains on Used and "New (Other)" models on eBay. But I think they're older models and not the "Revision B" that JDS is currently selling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back