new/complementing setup for the office
Jan 27, 2012 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kchau

100+ Head-Fier

tl;dr:

Have Q701 and Valhalla at home, want a set for office.
Have second pair of Q701, buy asgard and use at office?
Grado SR80 or SR325?
Do not want AD700/AD900.
Looking for suggestions.

I went through a bit of a phase choosing my first set of cans. i went from SRH840 to ATH-M50s to AD700 to AD900 to SR225 finally to Q701. And I paired my Q701 with a valhalla to boot.

That was for the home, now i want something for the office. I want something that has the same qualities of the Q701 and Valhalla pairing, but I want these new cans to be able to be driven straight off of my iPhone (maybe).

I have another pair of Q701's laying around, that depending on what i decide to do, I may or may not sell.

I'm looking at some grados', namely the sr80, or sr325. But i ultimately want an around-ear headphone, so if i got grado's i would probably get the PS1000 earpads.

Alternatively, I might pick up an Asgard and use that with my second pair of Q701's in the office (I dont think this would be that bad of an idea, but i definitely want some variety).

I dont want another pair of AD900's, as i found them to be too analytical, and the midbass and bass were lacking.

Any Suggestions?

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 6
It strikes me as odd that you found the AD900 more analytical than the 701, but perhaps that's just my ears. If you listen mainly to rock, a Grado will probably satisfy your ears to no end. If you like variety in your music, the 701/Asgard combo is similar to the Valhalla that you already like. I'd personally sample something new and go Grado, but it's up to you.

Sincerely,

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 6
i do find that the q701's lack in the rock section.

But i have a ton of variety when it comes to music. I did try my uncle's 15 year old SR225's and i thought they were warm, with full mids and bass, with punch. but they were a tad muddy when it came to the details.

the challenging thing is that these 2 setups are going to be discrete, and independent, they will never meet each other. It means that I don't want something to A-B all the time.

price is also a factor too.

an asgard is cheaper than sr325's. But if i go the asgard route, do i buy a lyr for home, and bring the valhalla to work? or keep the valhalla at home, and get the asgard for work.

too many choices.

What else would you recommend?

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back