New comp + airport express = unhappy sound
Apr 12, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will, or at least can, improve all parts of the sound.
The DAC might be the second most important component in you system, after the audio stream itself. Since it convert digital to analog signal, and have a major impact on the end result. As in "$hit it" = "$hit out".

or you may say (in the case of having a shyt DAC): "good in" = "shyt out"

Apr 12, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or you may say (in the case of having a shyt DAC): "good in" = "shyt out"

Yes, that sounds more correct.

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my setup at home:
Mac Mini > Airport Express > Oritek Modded Zhaolu v4.1 DAC > [AMP] > Sennheiser HD650 (playback controlled by iPhone using Signal)

I use a optical mini toslink to connect AE to DAC. Sounds great. I'm running 11g network in my house, so there is no latency issues. Pretty much, I push the Play button in the Signal "remote control application" on my iPhone and a 1/2 second later, the music starts playing. Maybe it's a full second if I'm generous.

I have a very similar setup mac --> AE --> DAC
iTunes controlled by iPhone.

Not to thread-jack, but thanks for the "Signal" tip. I was using a program called webremote with the Iphone's browser. I'm going to install signal tomorrow and give it a try.

Apr 12, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #19 of 25
Most definitely, figured I should leave the speaker chat outta the headphone forum though. Yeah my next upgrade is gonna be a sweet set of horns. I'm between Devore, Totem, Dynaudio, and possibly but probably not Epos. Now if only I had the cash...

For better DACs what kinda money do I have to spend to get a legit upgrade because to be honest sound out of my computer is way secondary to sound out of my turntable. And if it ain't too hard I might just build a dac. I'm pretty close to finishing my first headphone amp. Just got the casing done today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better everything, basically. Accuracy, dynamic range, frequency response...

Looking at your setup, the Linn Classik seems to be above the quality of your other gear. You might find a greater improvement with a speaker upgrade. If you do decide to get a new DAC, you may want something better than the 0404 USB.

Apr 12, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackCrank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most definitely, figured I should leave the speaker chat outta the headphone forum though. Yeah my next upgrade is gonna be a sweet set of horns. I'm between Devore, Totem, Dynaudio, and possibly but probably not Epos. Now if only I had the cash...

For better DACs what kinda money do I have to spend to get a legit upgrade because to be honest sound out of my computer is way secondary to sound out of my turntable. And if it ain't too hard I might just build a dac. I'm pretty close to finishing my first headphone amp. Just got the casing done today.

There are plenty of speaker guys hanging around this forum... I'm one of them, though I do enjoy headphone listening. In the studio world, Dynaudios have been nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

My guess is that practically any DAC over $100 will be a significant upgrade over the analog output of the Airport Express. Which DAC you'll want will depend on your budget and listening preferences.

Apr 13, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #21 of 25
Well I'd say budget is no more than $300, preferably 200-250 and I listen to mostly 70's/early 80's metal (mostly Black Sabbath and Sabbath inspired doom), punk/hardcore of all kinds, powerpop, and that kinda crap. Got any recc's?

Also which dynaudio's do you have? I've heard their break-in is a total bitch.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Well I'd say budget is no more than $300, preferably 200-250 and I listen to mostly 70's/early 80's metal (mostly Black Sabbath and Sabbath inspired doom), punk/hardcore of all kinds, powerpop, and that kinda crap. Got any recc's?

The 0404 USB is an option, but I'd check out the Zhaolu D3 or the KECES DA-131. Both were brought to market fairly recently, and they use good parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackCrank
Also which dynaudio's do you have? I've heard their break-in is a total bitch.

I've heard that, too... I don't own a pair yet, but my college had a pair of BM15As set up in the main studio control room, and I used them extensively for recording and mixing. I never, ever had monitor-induced listening fatigue from that set. They were a little laid-back, but incredibly transparent.

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Interesting, i'll have to look in to both of those. Are there any places in nyc that sell em?

Also are there any relatively cheap tube dac's?

If you're still thinking about buidling, Scott Nixon sells decent tube dacs, but none with toslink. I know that audiosector sells a clone of the NOS 47 labs dac that accepts toslink, but you'll have to email as it's not listed on his website.

Me, until I get a preamp with multiple inputs, I'm stuck with just vinyl.

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Interesting, i'll have to look in to both of those. Are there any places in nyc that sell em?

No, the Zhaolu is from China and the KECES is from Taiwan, so both are sourced through just a few U.S. distributors. Head-Fier 'Maniac' is the U.S. distributor for KECES, and Eddie Wuh (diykits.com.hk) seems to be the main distributor for Zhaolu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back