New college set up
Oct 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #16 of 22
after some research into the world of used speakers I have found a pair of used kirksaeter silverline 120 for $525, it seems to be a good deal but I havent been able to find much about the speakers (reviews wise) has anyone had any experience with kirksaeter speakers or this model in particular? 

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #17 of 22
That's not a well known brand, and that sounds like a lot of money for a speaker that sold for $700 initially unless they are still under warranty and in near mint condition. 

If you are hoping to save a little money off buying retail, grab these new Kef Q300s from Audiogon. Offer the guy $525 to see if he'll take it (although $550 shipped sounds good).  Lots of reviews of those (search the web). 

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #20 of 22
Don't get a 300$ HT receiver. Don't even get a 600$ HT receiver. All of those have crap amplifiers in them and you will hear it. The lowest HT receiver I recommend you buy it's the 1000$ Anthem MRX300. Don't put any weight on the network features on receivers, most of those have crap interfaces, bugs, formats missing and are generally not worth the extra money. Instead, spend your money on a HTPC/Squeezebox/Sonos to actually play stuff.

I recommended the Jamo C607 because it's the best deal in relatively cheap speakers with good bass - Jamo does cheap speakers like nobody else. Also because it's possible to get a great deal on it in the USA. But anyway, YMMV on speakers.

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #21 of 22
I think that I am going to get a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8i and a factory refurbished Denon 1712 for $800 and a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 for the Blu-Ray player, is this a blaring mismatch of speakers and amp?

[size=3.3333em]  [/size]

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:
I think that I am going to get a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8i and a factory refurbished Denon 1712 for $800 and a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 for the Blu-Ray player, is this a blaring mismatch of speakers and amp?

Best to check the impedance of the speakers. Denon receivers are typically rated for 6 ohm and 8 ohm speakers. They can do sometimes do 4 ohm, but not be able to handle hard to driver 4 ohm speakers. So as long as 6 or 8 ohm, should be fine. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back