New CNET Reviews-look before you laugh...
Apr 8, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #16 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Steve Guttenburg from C-Net is going to be at the National Meet this month. Anything you'd like us to pass along personally?
evil_smiley.gif

wait, dont' National meet people have to bring something with them?....what's he bringing?
i guess i can't attack cnet too much...this could actually bring people into high end headphones.

Apr 8, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #17 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
wait, dont' National meet people have to bring something with them?....what's he bringing?
i guess i can't attack cnet too much...this could actually bring people into high end headphones.

actually, feel free to give honest feedback - in fact, there's an "ask the panel some questions" thread, you should post up stuff there you want folks like Steve to answer! Who knows, this could indeed result in a constructive new movement in Cnet and elsewhere when looking at cans! dunno if he'll be on the panel, i think it's just for can manufacturers, but he'll definitely be one of the press listening in!

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...+meet+question

Apr 8, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #19 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naris
That's impressive. And also amusing. Also amusing it the fact that their member of the week is some guy named 'bozeman...'

Don't forget, even tho he isn't a "Bose"-Man, our own Tyll from Headroom runs his ops from Bozeman, Montana!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #21 of 69
heh... the Ipod as the baseline reference for a source...

Apr 8, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #22 of 69
I've already asked questions on the thread. but to Cnet (if they are listening):
The HD650 and the others can be ipod friendly if they add a pocket amplifier. also, i have a fear people will be discouraged by them quoting 550 as the price of the HD650, simply put, it can be found for lower than 300.

Apr 8, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #23 of 69
I trust their reviews on digital cameras and pdas since most of their opinions on goods and bads of these items are the same as my impressions so I've come to trust them on these, but for audio gear, those bastards almost had me buy a set of QC2s last November (which for some reason are the biggest thing now at my school replacing the triports, I mean c'mon even if they were any good why would you need noise canceling headphones on a HS campus?) and I've never forgiven them since
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #24 of 69
It wouldn't mean a whole lot to test the headphones with a $1000 DAC, $1000 amp, etc. Testing them with an ipod is fine but they should definitely point out the importance of an amp to get the most out of a lot of those headphones.

One major thing that I think they did wrong is that they went by prices which don't reflect how much you can actually (easily) get them for. It's a big deal to do something like inflate the price of the DT880 by well over $100.

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #25 of 69
I just read the HD650 review. Honestly, I thought it was pretty darned good. I originally used my HD600 straight out of a home theater receiver as well, and would have found this review to be very useful, as it mirrored my experience.

I skimmed some other reviews (E4c, UE10 Pro, DT880) and I think they're pretty good and useful for the average consumer looking for a headphone for their computer, iPod or home theater rig. Does anyone care to point out why these reviews/reviewers should be flamed?

Best,

-Jason

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #26 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I just read the HD650 review. Honestly, I thought it was pretty darned good. I originally used my HD600 straight out of a home theater receiver as well, and would have found this review to be very useful, as it mirrored my experience.

I skimmed some other reviews (E4c, UE10 Pro, DT880) and I think they're pretty good and useful for the average consumer looking for a headphone for their computer, iPod or home theater rig. Does anyone care to point out why these reviews/reviewers should be flamed?

Best,

-Jason

x2, I found the reviews to be very good
a lot better than some of the reviews on the "audiophile" sites

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff
Apparently, the reviewers over at CNET went on an audiophile binge, and posted their impressions on the HD-650, K601 (why not 701?), DT-880, and UE-10...

Far be it from me to criticize the CNET reviewers or these headphones, but here are the ratings and basic excerpts from the reviews (0-10; often partly based on sound out of an iPod):

UE-10: 9.0; "the best in-ear headphones that money can buy"
HD-650: 8.7; "fit for a king--and have a price tag to prove it"
K601: 8.3; "fast becoming an audiophile favorite--with more speakerlike sound any headphone we've heard before"
DT-880 8.2; "very expensive, a bit narrow-sounding at times, and ill-suited to an iPod"

For perspective, the Shure E4 has an 8.5, the Senn HD-280 has an 8.4, and the Bose QC2 has an 8.0. Let the flames commence...

I've read the reviews and I didn't laugh. I found them rather interesting, actually.
rolleyes.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #30 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dicjohnson
ROFLMAO
k1000smile.gif

Is that for the Cnet reviews, or for this thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back