New closed headphones! (perhaps amp too)
Apr 23, 2015 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kowaqt

New Head-Fier
Greetings fellow headphone enthusiasts!

I’m looking into buying a closed pair of full size headphones. My current headphones are the Sennheiser HD 598, which are open. I’d like a closed alternative to them, as I sometimes need the isolation when I’m sharing my room with others. Also the isolation would be nice when travelling with plane or car.

While I’m at it, I would like “a definite upgrade” as well, which means that I’ll probably need an amp as well. I currently have the FiiO E17 Alpen, and I was thinking of getting the FiiO E09K, as that’s supposed to be a good combination. I’m open for altnernative suggestions as far as amps goes as well, in case the FiiO combo won’t be adequate.

I don’t have a set in stone budget, so I’m pretty open to any suggestions. Sadly I live in a town where there’s a huge lack of headphones stores, meaning that I can’t just go and try a bunch of different equipment.. so I’ll pretty much have to rely on others recommendations and try my luck ordering something online.

Anyway, I’ve mainly been considering the following alternatives so far:

Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs as well as the Alpha Dogs.

Audeze EL-8 closed.

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0

Denon AH-MM400

I’m literally listening to all kinds of genres, so it doesn’t have to particularly good for an exact one. I value comfort highly as I tend to wear my headphones for extended periods of time, say 10+ hours.

I believe that’s all the relevant info I can give you. Thanks a lot in advance!

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 4
  I’m looking into buying a closed pair of full size headphones. My current headphones are the Sennheiser HD 598, which are open. I’d like a closed alternative to them, as I sometimes need the isolation when I’m sharing my room with others. Also the isolation would be nice when travelling with plane or car.
While I’m at it, I would like “a definite upgrade” as well, which means that I’ll probably need an amp as well. I currently have the FiiO E17 Alpen, and I was thinking of getting the FiiO E09K, as that’s supposed to be a good combination. I’m open for altnernative suggestions as far as amps goes as well, in case the FiiO combo won’t be adequate.
I don’t have a set in stone budget, so I’m pretty open to any suggestions. Sadly I live in a town where there’s a huge lack of headphones stores, meaning that I can’t just go and try a bunch of different equipment.. so I’ll pretty much have to rely on others recommendations and try my luck ordering something online.
Anyway, I’ve mainly been considering the following alternatives so far:
Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs as well as the Alpha Dogs.
Audeze EL-8 closed.
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
Denon AH-MM400
I’m literally listening to all kinds of genres, so it doesn’t have to particularly good for an exact one. I value comfort highly as I tend to wear my headphones for extended periods of time, say 10+ hours.
I believe that’s all the relevant info I can give you. Thanks a lot in advance!

If you stick to low Ohm and easy to drive headphones, you will not need to get the E09K.

Here are some used (40-Ohm) Audio Technica ATH-W1000X headphones, $275 or best offer.
retail price for new in the USA is over $600.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/763669/audio-technica-w1000x

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #3 of 4

If you stick to low Ohm and easy to drive headphones, you will not need to get the E09K.

Here are some used (40-Ohm) Audio Technica ATH-W1000X headphones, $275 or best offer.
retail price for new in the USA is over $600.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/763669/audio-technica-w1000x

Thanks a lot for the reply. They definitely seem like a great option for me. I prefer to get a new pair though. I'm from Denmark so the cheapest I've found them for is $649 which is alright to me. 

How are the isolation - do they completely block out all noise? Like say you're on a plane, would you be able to listen whilst blocking all the noise? I'm mainly going to use them at home, plugged into a stationary PC, so it's not like I'll be transporting with them often - but it would definitely be a +. 

Also I'm a bit worried about the comfort. It seems like my ears could potentially touch the drivers, which possibly could hurt in the long run. How is your experience as far as long listening sessions goes? Can you wear them for 10+ hours without any discomfort?

Do you think an amp like the E09K (or an alternative) would improve the sound considerably or are they totally fine without? 

Thx in advance :)

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks a lot for the reply. They definitely seem like a great option for me. I prefer to get a new pair though. I'm from Denmark so the cheapest I've found them for is $649 which is alright to me. 
How are the isolation - do they completely block out all noise? Like say you're on a plane, would you be able to listen whilst blocking all the noise? I'm mainly going to use them at home, plugged into a stationary PC, so it's not like I'll be transporting with them often - but it would definitely be a +. 
Also I'm a bit worried about the comfort. It seems like my ears could potentially touch the drivers, which possibly could hurt in the long run. How is your experience as far as long listening sessions goes? Can you wear them for 10+ hours without any discomfort?
Do you think an amp like the E09K (or an alternative) would improve the sound considerably or are they totally fine without? 

I do not think they would block any more noise then any other regular headphones.
Have not used them for 10 hours straight, at least nothing that I remember, but I do find them comfortable to wear and fairly light weight on the head.
The E17's less then 1-Ohm output impedance is a more desirable then the E09K's 10-Ohm output impedance, for 40-Ohm headphones like the W1000X.
So I just can't see a good reason for getting the E09K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back