new Clip+ owner looking for tips
Jun 10, 2010 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

terriblepaulz

1000+ Head-Fier
I am a long time iPod/iTunes guy, but could not pass up the Clip+ deal on woot.com. All my music is archived in ALAC so I believe I need to build a library in Windows Media Player.  Any suggestions for converting the files?  

Also, should I consider Rockbox?  I am not sure I need or would use Rockbox's features.   

Jun 11, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 12
dBpoweramp is awesome for converting files. Look into it. As far as the WMP library, I never do any of that. I keep my Clip+ in MSC mode and drag/drop as opposed to syncing. I like it that way, but some people can't stand that method.

Look at the Rockbox site and read the manual. I use Rockbox mainly for true gapless playback that works 100% of the time. That alone makes it worth it for me. The Rockbox EQ beats the crap out of the OF's EQ. It doesn't muddy everything up, and gives you much more control. If you use EQ, definitely check out Rockbox. It can also play games, view pictures, and other cool stuff that the OF can't and probably never will do. If you don't think you'll need any of that, then just stick with the OF. The OF isn't bad, but I like Rockbox way better.

I haven't tried it, but the sound codecs page of the Rockbox site looks like ALAC is supported. Maybe that would be reason enough to try it? It wouldn't play in the OF though.

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 12
I would really suggest rockbox, after using it for 4-5 months there's no way i could go back to OF on any player.

Here is great concise info on why you should use rockbox.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/WhyRockbox

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 12
I'll second (or third?) the Rockbox motion. It boasts better battery life, better eq, gapless playback, easier browsing, games and if that doesn't float your boat the option to load into the OF with the hit of a button.
Can't really argue with that in my eyes.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 12
Ummm...correct me if I am wrong, but is there a truly stable version yet? The last I read people kept having all kinds of issues with rockboxing it.
I have an 8GB Clip and 2 4BG Clip+'s and I'd like to try rockboxing one.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 12
I've had a total of zero issues since installing rockbox around a month or so ago. I don't know what the latest version is but the one I have has no issues and works great. The only thing is that I had to do manual installation which I've never done before but it was really quite easy. I'm not sure if the rockbox on clip+ can be installed without doing manual but no issues really.

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 12
My Clip+ is new and I Rockboxed last week. No problems whatsoever.
And you can start as normal (without Rockbox) by holding power and left buttons.

Benefits:
More control - easier playlists, ability to view by album artist/composer etc., ability to see comments/composer info, better EQ and separate bass/treble/stereo cross adjustment, crossfade options, better sleep/wakeup options, permanent on-screen clock...

Tips:
- I haven't had much time to tweak or read the manual, but I go into normal Clip mode before charging and syncing.
- Choose the right them settings - font etc., some are easier to read, some are overloaded.
- EQ (standard or Rockbox) will drain your battery much faster.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
EQ (standard or Rockbox) will drain your battery much faster.

Also, the crossfade function on Rockbox drains battery life alot faster too.

I highly recommend putting Rockbox on the Clip+. With Rockbox and it's EQ, I have my Clip+ sound quality sounding just as lush and juicy as my Sony X1060.

Art

Users who are viewing this thread

Back