NEW Chord Electronics Poly & Hugo 2 preorders available now!
Feb 27, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #34 of 51
Need more information on the Bluetooth part.  Is it only for control or stream music as well.  But Bluetooth doesn't have enough bandwidth for high bitrate file even with AptX.

Will the Poly be a DLNA Renderer?

And the Hugo2 still don't have balanced output.....why!?!

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #36 of 51
It seems like some companies think that headphone enthusiasts must have the word "Sucker" branded on their foreheads.

Yeah, and a lot of them do, unfortunately...

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #37 of 51
Yeah, and a lot of them do, unfortunately...

Or they just forget about consumer needs and create these products in a bubble where cost is no issue. I understand creating a quality product with no compromises, but I guess what irks me the most is that thr Poly is a Mojo accessory, and the Mojo was supposedly a way to offer a high quality product at a relatively low cost for the masses, and yet they go directly against that philosophy by pricing the Poly this way. It actually wouldn't bother me so much if all of their products were ridiculously priced, kinda like AK for the most part, but to price a Mojo accessory that does not even add improved SQ at a price higher than the Mojo is ridiculous no matter what the reasoning is. If the cost to make it was higher then that's poor decision making IMO. Use some of that ingenuity to find ways to achieve the same results at a lower cost.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #38 of 51
Or they just forget about consumer needs and create these products in a bubble where cost is no issue. I understand creating a quality product with no compromises, but I guess what irks me the most is that thr Poly is a Mojo accessory, and the Mojo was supposedly a way to offer a high quality product at a relatively low cost for the masses, and yet they go directly against that philosophy by pricing the Poly this way. It actually wouldn't bother me so much if all of their products were ridiculously priced, kinda like AK for the most part, but to price a Mojo accessory that does not even add improved SQ at a price higher than the Mojo is ridiculous no matter what the reasoning is. If the cost to make it was higher then that's poor decision making IMO. Use some of that ingenuity to find ways to achieve the same results at a lower cost.

I actually think that it would cost much less to manufacture a Poly than a Mojo, considering what the cost of the custom-made DAC chips of the Mojo might be and the fact that most of the DAP functions of the Poly would be performed by a smartphone. The reasoning might have been to price something that is "almost" a DAP (but is not) in an upper mid-fi segment, i.e. between $1'000 and $1'500, banking on the SQ superiority aura of the Mojo.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #39 of 51
I actually think that it would cost much less to manufacture a Poly than a Mojo, considering what the cost of the custom-made DAC chips of the Mojo might be and the fact that most of the DAP functions of the Poly would be performed by a smartphone. The reasoning might have been to price something that is "almost" a DAP (but is not) in an upper mid-fi segment, i.e. between $1'000 and $1'500, banking on the SQ superiority aura of the Mojo.

I thought so too but on the Poly thread Chord directly stated that it costs more due to the tech involved and layers and some other obscure descriptions. But if in the end they knew it would cost more it would behoove them to consider alternative solutions.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #40 of 51
I thought so too but on the Poly thread Chord directly stated that it costs more due to the tech involved and layers and some other obscure descriptions. But if in the end they knew it would cost more it would behoove them to consider alternative solutions.

The market doesn't lie, we will find out over the next few months if they're right, and we are wrong, as I suspect, given the widespread market craze..

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #42 of 51
i think many people have the wrong impression of chord based on the mojo.  their stereo components are high end and have the price to match.  they were never about great sounding budget components.  

That was just my impression of Chord's approach to the Mojo, not them as a company. Guess we got lucky then? If I was mistaken then they price gouge on everything I guess. In which case it makes sense for them to price an accessory higher than the product it adds functionality to.

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #43 of 51
Shame they don't support AptX HD as it has been present almost 1 year and a half. Smartphones like LG and audio companies like Naim have them in their products. 

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #45 of 51
They'll sell a boatload if it works and sounds good, as they should. Folks may find out that it beats their home rigs. It also makes a nice remote streamer for a dedicated HiFi from your PC. It has enough versatility where it virtually can't fail if it sounds good and we all expect that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back