New CDP a Very Difficult Decision! Advice
Apr 18, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #31 of 44
Just think, though, if you spent $1000 less on the player and used the money to add to your CD collection. I'd say that there's more enjoyment in $1000 worth of new CDs than $1k difference between players, IMO.

Apr 18, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mls64
Just think, though, if you spent $1000 less on the player and used the money to add to your CD collection. I'd say that there's more enjoyment in $1000 worth of new CDs than $1k difference between players, IMO.

Or I could spend the $4-5K AND add $1K of CD/SACDs. Best of both worlds.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Is the Naim route a viable option? Are balanced outs overrated? I would just love to drive to Dublin when I get paid and get what I need hassle free from the Naim dealership.

Jason,

If you have an access to a good dealer nearby, why not try and decide?
Either you borrow for a home dem or bring your headamp and 'fones which is much easier than schlepping the speakers.

You decide and see if balanced outs is overrated or not.

I didn't particularly care for the Headamp/Grado and Naim combo ( a bare CDX2 & CDS3/XPS2 ), but you ought to try one yourself.

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #35 of 44
Hopefully everyone recommending players in this price range have actually heard them
evil_smiley.gif
I've only heard a couple truly high end players but the Meridians have always stood out. G08 or even if I had $4K to spend I still consider a 508.24 at less than half that.

Apr 19, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #36 of 44
Well I pulled the trigger today on a Resolution Audio Opus 21
icon10.gif
without an audition payed over the phone, however the countless great reviews online give me hope for this little player for me. I have alot of faith in this little beauty. I have decided that I am going to now get an integrated amp to use with a pair of K1000 and other modified cans. I just missed out on an Ear V20 however the same dealer offered me a an EAR 859 for around $1800 which is great considering it costs around the $4.5k mark here in the UK and around $3.5k in the USA. What do you guys think?

Apr 19, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #37 of 44
Congrats man! I've been curious about that unit ever since tkam got one. You'll have to let us know your thoughts once you get it!

Best,

-Jason

Apr 19, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #38 of 44
I'd looked into one recently and got some feedback from the owner. Here were his words to me:

Quote:

Before this player I had the Wadia 860x with GNSC mods. It the best player I've ever heard. The Resolution Audio was about 75% of the Wadia. Again, the Wadia was modified. Steve Huntley (Great Northern Sound Co.) also is a dealer and mods the R.A. The R.A. is a lot cheaper and with the mods It probably sounds closer to 90% of the Wadia. Give Steve a call. He is a great guy and wonderful to talk to. By the way the later models fixed the loud transport and added direct disc access from the remote.

A pretty solid endorsement and this was after he'd sold the unit so it wasn't a sales pitch. Interesting player and for some reason, I do like the look. Kinda George Jetsonish in a way. Might be a contender for my system. Hope you'll keep us posted on how you feel about it.

Apr 19, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #39 of 44
Congratulations. Reading the starting posts I was about to suggest the Opus 21 and to point to that UK Dealer with that used one (I was toying with the idea of give it a try myself), but I can see you did your homework.

Congratulations! Please let us know. It seems like they it works great even as external DAC, almost jitter inmune it seems, according to some reviews. I'm starting to be tempted as a small footprint is really convenient for me.

Enjoy them but try to ask to the dealer first (I hope you are still on time) about the transport. Some early units were showing a little defect, being the transport a bit noisy. This has been fixed already on the new ones. Try to make sure that you are getting one of these.

Cheers

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #40 of 44
Guys I will keep you posted on this player, as I believe only me and Tkam own the Resolution audio so any questions I will be happy to help when the darn thing arrives
tongue.gif
Oh by the way Nomad I always do my homework and you obviously know were I got the opus, probably the best hfi store in the UK in my opinion, I had to jump on this IMO

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonharkin
Well I pulled the trigger today on a Resolution Audio Opus 21
icon10.gif
without an audition payed over the phone, however the countless great reviews online give me hope for this little player for me. I have alot of faith in this little beauty. I have decided that I am going to now get an integrated amp to use with a pair of K1000 and other modified cans. I just missed out on an Ear V20 however the same dealer offered me a an EAR 859 for around $1800 which is great considering it costs around the $4.5k mark here in the UK and around $3.5k in the USA. What do you guys think?

Jason I am really interested in this player and I am trying to decide between this and a Wadia 830, 301, or 302. So please keep posting your impressions.

Do you know that you should be able to use your K1000 or any other can directely from the O21 either in balanced or unbalanced mode, being actually a pre amp with analogic volume control. You should get excellent sound quality this way (well, may be a bit more difficult with K1000, but should work perfectly with any other can). Before splashing on a head amp give it a try and keep us posted.

I am also very interested to know how it fares as a DAC.

Finally can you tell me or PM me the name of the UK dealer, as I am ready for auditions

Cheers

Apr 21, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #42 of 44
Hi guys

My buying is all finished for a while now, besides getting the Opus 21 I have purchased an E.A.R Yoshino 859 Integrated Amp, Nordost Frey Interconnects and a pair of new K1000's. Will post pics when the equipment arrives.

Regards Jason

Apr 22, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #43 of 44
Oh gosh, I just auditioned the Chord Blu Upsampling CD Transport and Chord DAC64 and it was an eye opening experience. Compared to the dCS P8i, it was less detailed, but more musical. Compared to the Chord ONE integrated upsampling CDP, the Chord Blu/DAC64 was noticeably more detailed and also quite a bit more dynamic. It matched well with the Diva Utopia Be that I was testing. I've been going on a mammoth hifi component search lately and out of all the CDP I tried (Naim CDX2, CD5i, CDS3, dCS P8i, Chord Blu/DAC64, ONE, Meridian G08, G07), I liked the Chord Blu/DAC64 and the dCS P8i came out at the top of the group. I liked the analytical nature of the dCS P8i and the musicality of the Chord Blu/DAC64. The Naim CDX2 and CS3 were also very musical, but lacked a ton of detail that the dCS P8i was able to extract. Meridian players didn't strike me as anything particularly special, but were very all rounded and on the thick muscular sounding side. It's very difficult...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back