New Case project, need some advice/help
Nov 29, 2007 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Troyhoot

Head-Fier
Its not really Headphone related, but case modding is case modding so I figured why not get some opinions. This is my new computer case, It is going to be my source
wink.gif
Its almost purely out of steel so far. I have some more pics on my phone ill post a bit later. I have the front holes for dvd roms and such cut. Fan holes are cut. I am in process of making raised, louvered fan grill/covers. Im going to use a sander to make uniform sanding marks on the steel then seal it for final look. Im using copper tubing for edge molding. I know its hard to picture it so Ill try to update some more pics today.

Anyway. I need some ideas for switches (power and reset). I was thinking a big Copper knife switch for power or maybe a couple Military style toggles with guards. Any other ideas are welcome too, not just switches. I need to figure out some casters or legs for the bottom yet also.

pics are a little fuzzy, my camera phone and my shaking hands
tongue.gif

Edit: adding updated pics

edit front and top panel mounted. Copper tube to show you what im gonna do

I still need to trim the tubing down to fit the panels. basicly the copper will hide my seams
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 8
Troyhoot,
these guys have nice switches... I also think a nice recessed pedestal with rope style lighting all around would make the case appear to float in the air... the way the bubba's do thier trucks with that indirect lighting

Nov 29, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 8
I like the lighting idea Vixr! Dude, that knife switch would be sweet! Dangerous, but sweet!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 8
Its going to be sitting on my desk/counter so if I do a pedestal it will need to be kinda short, which would work fine. Your lighting idea is growing on me.

Im building a new cabinet/desk/electronic work station/tv stand/computer desk in my computer room. Basicly one full wall will be countertop and cabinets with 2 spaces for me to roll a chair under. Then the right hand wall will be 18" cabinet for about 8 feet. This computer will sit in the corner of the "L" counter top. So I cant go real bright on the lights.

Still leaning towards a copper knife switch. But I might make it just for show. Have it activate another switch so there isnt any live electricity.

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 8
I think I might still have a can of Never Dull. Used it in my Hotrod days to polish chrome. I had forgot all about it.

I got alot done today. All the sides are mounted/drilled/countersunk. I got the louvers cut and ready to put in the fan shrouds. My fans came in mail today. Hopefully I can start sanding the panels tomorrow and also get the fan shrouds mounted and finished. Then get the copper tubing done this weekend.

Thinking of putting some kind of big gauge in the front. Maybe a temp probe or pressure. Still looking for switches. maybe Ill be through with it mostly next week.

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 8
All panels sanded, polished, and sealed. Inside lower and middle panels welded in. Frame and inside of panels all painted flat black. Front switches mounted but not wired till tonight i hope. Fan shrouds finished over the weekend and louvers in. About finished with this project. Maybe tomorrow or next day. i also epoxyed the copper tube together but i wont remove the tape and such till i set it up at home for good. Ill get some better pics of finished project in a day or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back