New cartridge problems
Sep 1, 2006 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

spikyho

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I just a new cartridge (AT120e) for my yamaha p-500 turntable. I installed the cartridge on my turntable and it worked beautifully through my yamaha a500 preamp. I then took the cartridge off of the turntable to try it out on my aunt's old Dual 1015. The quality was much worse on this older turntable (probably because it wasn't very well taken care of) so I promptly removed the cartridge and installed it back onto the p-500. However now, the sound is considerably quieter and I have to turn the volume knob to max just to hear it at a good volume. In addition, the sound from the right channel is a lot quieter and almost non existant as compared to the left channel. I have tested the turntable out through my a500 and my dads yamaha receiver (about 4 years old), I am sure they have phono-in's, and on both my Dt770's and some speakers however the sound is the same, very very quiet. Any help with my problem would be awesome as I am hoping to finally get this turntable working properly.

Sep 1, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by spikyho
Hey guys, I just a new cartridge (AT120e) for my yamaha p-500 turntable. I installed the cartridge on my turntable and it worked beautifully through my yamaha a500 preamp. I then took the cartridge off of the turntable to try it out on my aunt's old Dual 1015. The quality was much worse on this older turntable (probably because it wasn't very well taken care of) so I promptly removed the cartridge and installed it back onto the p-500. However now, the sound is considerably quieter and I have to turn the volume knob to max just to hear it at a good volume. In addition, the sound from the right channel is a lot quieter and almost non existant as compared to the left channel. I have tested the turntable out through my a500 and my dads yamaha receiver (about 4 years old), I am sure they have phono-in's, and on both my Dt770's and some speakers however the sound is the same, very very quiet. Any help with my problem would be awesome as I am hoping to finally get this turntable working properly.

It's sounds as though

1. you've damaged the cart or else it was faulty maybe.
2. the phono stage is not working / not present / damaged.
3. the cabling between the cart and amp is damaged

The only way to know is to logically eliminate each of the possible faulty compontents from the chain. You have 2 decks so if the cart sounds the same on both then it's unlikely to be the decks.
Do you have access to another amp which definitely has a phono stage?

Failing that a local dealer or fellow Head-Fier who has a turntable might be worth a shot.

You could also return the cart as faulty if it's brand new and get a replacement. If you didn't handle it roughly when you were mounting it then perhaps it has a bad connection inside it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back