New car buyers ***"spinning"...BEWARE***
Apr 15, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #31 of 44
So...

I went to the dealership to cancel my contract, which, shockingly enough, they could not locate. Apparently the guy that does the car finding has it and will not be accessible until Monday.

Hmmm...the suspect behaviour continues.

At this point I don't want a better deal on a car with more options. Hell, they could knock another $500 off and I'd tell them to shove it. I don't want to deal with people like this.

What will happen on Monday? Will they magically locate my car just in time to meet their contractual deadline after realising I won't buy the red one with leather? Will they attempt to put me off some more?

STAY AWAY FROM BANK STREET MAZDA

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #33 of 44
You've got me convinced it's a scam now. The "we can't find your contract" is standard sleazy car salesman behavior. Your car may magically show up on Monday. However, if it doesn't, try to go there over your lunch hour to cancel the contract. If they won't let you do it, or if the guy is not in, send a registered letter to the dealership stating your wish to cancel before the post office closes on Monday.

BTW, a friend of mine posted your dilemma on CarTalkCanada:
http://www.cartalkcanada.com/forum/i...c,45255.0.html

Interestingly, Wing, the owner/admin of that site, who lives in Ottawa and is also a car reviewer and has good industry connections, posted this:
"Bank St. Mazda: they are the biggest scammers in the entire city, perhaps in the province."

So I guess they have a reputation.

Apr 15, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY
You've got me convinced it's a scam now. The "we can't find your contract" is standard sleazy car salesman behavior. Your car may magically show up on Monday. However, if it doesn't, try to go there over your lunch hour to cancel the contract. If they won't let you do it, or if the guy is not in, send a registered letter to the dealership stating your wish to cancel before the post office closes on Monday.

BTW, a friend of mine posted your dilemma on CarTalkCanada:
http://www.cartalkcanada.com/forum/i...c,45255.0.html

Interestingly, Wing, the owner/admin of that site, who lives in Ottawa and is also a car reviewer and has good industry connections, posted this:
"Bank St. Mazda: they are the biggest scammers in the entire city, perhaps in the province."

So I guess they have a reputation.

Apparently they do have a reputation.

I'm just curious as to what I can expect to happen on Monday. I have been brainstorming as to why they would put me off. The last thing I would want in my store is a customer that I have pissed off twice, and then forced to come in again.

I assume they will have mysteriously located my car just in time to meet their contractual delivery date when I show up on Monday.

I think they bullied to see if I would cave on the upsells/colours, and when I wouldn't, now they'll put me off and make it seem that within those 2 days they found my car. And then, lucky me, my car arrives.

Apr 16, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
As I said, they had no intention of letting the car go for that price. They will sell out of however many they get in, and for more than the price that I negotiated. They will pull out, and sell it to someone else for a higher profit margin if I decide to wait them out. They lose nothing by not selling it to me, as they will see my $1000 as a loss, not a gain.

Why sell it to me for a $1000 markup if you can just jerk me around for a while in an attempt to get even more out of me and if I refuse, sell it to Johnny for a $1500 mark up plus whatever else they talk him into.

The toal time they put in including phone calls is probably around 25 minutes. If they can bully me into spending another $800, it's not a bad gamble is it?

**edit** bear in mind that they sell more Mazda's than any otehr dealership in my province, and the city I live in is not nearly as large as Toronto, so, they sell a lot of cars. It's not like by my refusal they will have a car rotting away on the lot.

or they could sell it to you at a 1000 dollar markup and a 1500 dollar markup to johnny???

im sorry but your logic really doesnt make sense. why not wait the 4 weeks. im sure 4 weeks isnt a long time compared to the amount of time you are going to have the car.

Apr 16, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo_
or they could sell it to you at a 1000 dollar markup and a 1500 dollar markup to johnny???

im sorry but your logic really doesnt make sense. why not wait the 4 weeks. im sure 4 weeks isnt a long time compared to the amount of time you are going to have the car.

Because if I had known I'd be waiting a month I would have bought from another dealer.

Because I was promised (in writing) it would be here by Monday.

Because I want it now.

Because they are holding $1k of my money for something I have not touched.

Apr 16, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #38 of 44
I'm not suprised if they happens to mislocate your money
wink.gif
If you have any friends/relative who happens to be a attorney, this is a good time to ask him to accompany you to that dealer.

Apr 16, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
Because if I had known I'd be waiting a month I would have bought from another dealer.

Because I was promised (in writing) it would be here by Monday.

Because I want it now.

Because they are holding $1k of my money for something I have not touched.

ya but your logic on why sell it to me when they can sell it to johnny for 1500 mark up doesnt make sense. they can sell it to both of you and make 2500 dollars

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_loo
bank st mazda? i know the owner i think.. dilawri or something
wink.gif
he's got the nissan @ walkley and a few others too.

Yep. Dilawri. He owns a few dealerships. I doubt he has much to do with the running of things these days. If he does, he should pop into the Mazda dealership and see what they are doing to his name.

Lord knows neither me nor any of my friends will purchase from any of his dealerships going forward. I don't know why you would want to mess with a first time car buyer. He just lost years of repeat business from me and from anyone I tell my tales of woe. All of my friends are around my age and in similar positions. Over the years, that could mean a lot of lost car sales.

Apr 18, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #42 of 44
Final follow up...

I finally got my deposit back. They told me that there is not a single car to my spec in the city and that noone will have one before the 4 week date they stated.

I went to another Mazda dealer (Performance Mazda on Youville) and bought my exact car off the lot. It is costing me $400 more, but I touched it, sat in it, and barring any major mix ups, I'll be picking it up Thursday. So far it is the best $400 I have ever spent.

The hilarious thing is that Performance and Bank Street will often get cars from each other in order to fulfill customer requests. This one was on the lot and the sales manager told me that Bank street Mazda did not even call them to see if they had one on the lot. That confirms my original contention that Bank Street Mazda never intended to deliver me the car that I ordered. The sales manager at Performance went so far as to say that they constantly get a flow of disgruntled Bank Street Mazda customers, ans subsequently end up selling to them. He also said that he was suprised that I actually got my deposit back quickly, as they usually drag their feet.

Moral of the story? Bank Street Mazda is owned, run, and operated by soulless jackoff scheisters who deserve the worst kind of torture.

I have a wish for the sales associate I dealt with...

May he own a hotel with a thousand rooms, and be found dead in every one of them.

EDIT: Here is a link to the Better Business Bureau http://data.ottawa.bbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=11550
They have an unsatisfactory rating. Two unresolved issues include sales practices and refund/exchange issues.

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #43 of 44
Drive your new mazda over to bank st and flip em the bird

Users who are viewing this thread

Back