New Car Advice
Mar 16, 2005 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
I’m considering a new vehicle as a reward for obtaining my new (relatively) job and enduring the same mangy 1989 Maxima with over 200,000 miles on it since I was 16. After having recurring issues with the window regulators and timing belt (not a chain), along with transmission issues I have decided to cut my losses and give it to charity (Blue Book value is under $500, and that’s being optimistic regarding its physical condition). After foolishly considering the Audi S4 for 10 minutes I decide to wade back into reality. The 2005 Acura RSX is ~ $20,000, and my Credit Union offers competitive rates up to $50,000. My maximum monthly budget cannot exceed $500 a month (unless I wanna eat Ramen for the next 4-5 years).
wink.gif
Is the Acura RSX a true Integra replacement? Is it an agile, decent-performing vehicle with great gas mileage and long lifespan? What other cars should I be considering around the $20K-$25K arena? Any and all help/input/flames are welcome.

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 51
I'm afraid I don't know very much about cars, but have you considered the Volvo S40? It seems to be a good car for the money (I have heard good things about it) and is in your price range. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in and evaluate its potential as one of your choices.

EDIT: Upon reading some reviews, it seems the S40 is a worthy contender.

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 51
I suggest you buy a car that gets 30 to 50 mpg. What good is a car if you have to put $50 or more of gas into it a week?

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 51
not so sure about that^
tongue.gif
(took me too long to writes this post haha was address to utep10)

I personally believe the rsx is the well deserved replacement to the integra, but dude if anything acura/honda engines last a long time. My car alone is a testament to that... so it likes to smoke a little... when its cold, but it runs reliably.

As far as I know the K-series are top notch engines, more power earlier, better efficiency, longer lasting, better tech, Don't know if honda is using fiber reinforced metal for the sleeves but if it is then its lost some weight and gain some thermo efficiency and a big big plus I don't really hear anything about rsx's being broken into unlike integras.

Another car I'd look into would be the srt-4, was able to drive one at one of the promo's held at sears point, long time ago though. Had guts of power plenty of it! Great raw car but if you are looking for luxuries and reliability then a nicely equipped rsx would be hard to beat IMO.

Are you sure you can't get yourself a used S4? Nice car but feels like a boat on pavement
tongue.gif
, buddy has a blue one with blue alcantera interior, he got his serveral years ago used with <40k miles around ~40k? he never gave me the exact number but its really affordable now. Not sure how comfortable you are with buying used car but here's a shot

silver s4
black s4 with blue alcantera!

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 51
According the Acura’s specs, the Acura RSX 5-Speed Automatic (I’m done with manual transmission, so please no debate on this one – it’s more fun sometimes and the control is nice, but it’s a pain for the majority of my driving) achieves 25 miles city/34 miles highway, but who knows how accurate these specs are in the real world. I’d like to try a hybrid, but the longitudinal studies are still inconclusive (regarding its TCO among other issues) and battery replacement could be daunting; hybrids are simply too unproven for me to consider at this time, though the Accord Hybrid and Prius seem promising. Perhaps when diesel/hybrid vehicles emerge this will be the last stop-gap until a true fuel replacement emerges. Please let’s not discuss fuel/hybrid merits; I’m simply looking for a good solid automobile that performs well, achieves solid fuel economy and isn’t over $25K. I will have to research the Volvo S40 but I’ve heard some criticisms of that particular model from colleagues. The Audi S4 is simply out of my budget and its fuel efficiency isn’t too enchanting (plus maintenance on luxury European sports cars is much more financially prohibitive than the Acura). Other possibilities include the Honda Civic/Accord, Toyota Celica/Camry and Nissan Sentra/Altima. The RSX is still the most appealing among these choices.

Bruce, the rear seats fold down so it will accommodate all my audio gear and that drum kit!
cool.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #8 of 51
Non-Hybrid Accord: Almost the same fuel efficiency as the hybrid for less money. Plenty of power, luxury, space.

VW Jetta: Plenty of power in the VR6 or 1.8t, enough torque in the TDI to make that a cool, fuel efficient option. For the price, I'm not sure the luxury and 8 speaker monsoon sound can be beat.

Note on the RSX: you should drive the manual just for fun. It had the smoothest most enjoyable gearbox of anything I've ever driven. I do agree that manual trans is better suited to a second car though.

Mar 16, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 51
Every review I've seen of the RSX has been positive. I've also known several satisfied Acura owners. As long as it fits your needs and tastes, it should be a solid vehicle.

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
I’m simply looking for a good solid automobile that performs well, achieves solid fuel economy and isn’t over $25K. I will have to research the Volvo S40 but I’ve heard some criticisms of that particular model from colleagues.

The Volvo S40 is simply overpriced vehicle. It has a same platform as the new Ford Focus. Although it's a solid chassis I wouldn't pay over $5K for volvo brand premium. No way.
Quote:

The Audi S4 is simply out of my budget and its fuel efficiency isn’t too enchanting (plus maintenance on luxury European sports cars is much more financially prohibitive than the Acura). Other possibilities include the Honda Civic/Accord, Toyota Celica/Camry and Nissan Sentra/Altima. The RSX is still the most appealing among these choices.

The S4 will be very very costly in the long run. Personally I like the current S4, but the new one is coming out this fall. After the warranty, those special S4 parts will cost arm and leg in your pocket. Not too crazy about Celica/Camry and Nissan Sentra/Altima.

Just check out your profile, mid 20's and medium built. As much as I like M-Benz E class, it really wouldn't fit 19 year old. Simply a football linebacker wouldn't fit well in Mini Cooper. You get my point?

My pix are:
-Mini Cooper S (Amazingly fun driving car with great resale value)
-Acura RSX (Total reliability and top fit/finish brand quality)
-Saab 93 (Incredible discount $5000 off msrp and 5 star crash test)
-Subaru Impreza WRX (Superior 4wd, potent turbo and endless upgrades)
-New VW GTI (Original pocket racer and direct injection DSI engine)
-New Audi A3 (Upscale and luxurious interior, but TT like Quattro ferocity)
-New Mazda Miata (Old formula done right, topless, airy and dynamic)
-New Pontiac Solstice (For $20K U get front-engine, rear-wheel drive cabrio)

Most likely the NEW cars should hit this spring-summer. You really ought to wait for these latest cars on the horizon. I've listed 3 door hatchback, 5 door wagonback, 2 door coupe, 4 door compactsedan and 2 seater convertibles. It's just like headphones. Do you want open or closed (roof vs. topless)? Then circumaural or supraural (2 vs. 4-5 seater)? Then weather versus performance (Fwd vs. Rwd vs. 4wd)?

I believe the cars listed above should give you good reasonable fuel consumption yet very zippy and zesty on the road. Most of them have good brakes and handling to match the solid chassis and flexible engine. My personal preference are in order: Cooper S, GTI, Miata, WRX...My time to give you my 2 cent.

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

My maximum monthly budget cannot exceed $500 a month (unless I wanna eat Ramen for the next 4-5 years).
wink.gif

Ramen does come in several tasty flavors
biggrin.gif

The Acura looks like a nice car. Enjoy.

Mar 16, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
Ramen does come in several tasty flavors
biggrin.gif

The Acura looks like a nice car. Enjoy.

Instead of car suggestions thread, you should open a ramen suggestions
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
The Volvo S40 is simply overpriced vehicle. It has a same platform as the new Ford Focus. Although it's a solid chassis I wouldn't pay over $5K for volvo brand premium. No way.

Damn, I like the new S40 alot, I didn't know it share the same platform as new Ford Focus. Where can I find that info?

Mar 16, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #14 of 51
With exception of available aftermarket and drop in motor options, I consider the RSX to be very superior to the integra.

If you liked in the integra for it's tuning options and it's shared platform with the mutec civic parts, then the RSX doesn't have those advantages.

It really doesn't sound like you care about that however. For a front wheel drive car, I actually liked the RSX handling quite a bit. It was fairly agile for your day to day operations. On the track they suffer from understeer and a bit of torque out on the curves, but so long as you don't plan to autocross, again, doesn't sound like you care.

I happen to like the RSX, and if I was choosing a front wheel drive performance car, it'd be a toss up between it and the mazdaspeed protege.

Depending on your requirements, I also echo the sentiments of a previous posters recommendations of the WRX, miata and 93. Haven't driven the saab 93, but I've heard decent things about.

As ugly as the wrx is, for the price it's a bucket of fun that can't be beat. Miata's aren't practical, lack power unless you get the zippy mazdaspeed version, but are still very fun cars.

One thing to do when shopping for cars is to build a priority list. Order the following aspects to your priority. Feel free to add any other aspects to your list.

Sticker Price
Monthly Payment
Reliability
Saftey
Driveability in rain and snow
Dealer Service
Gas Consumption
Looks
Fun Factor
Street performance
Track Performance
Pick up Chicks Factor (joke)

Mar 16, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
Damn, I like the new S40 alot, I didn't know it share the same platform as new Ford Focus. Where can I find that info?

At $23.5K starting price, you're better off with forementioned cars above. Actually I prefer to pay less for the new Euro Focus 5 door hatchback. The new Euro Focus, Mazda 3 and Volvo S40 share the same platform under Ford brand management. You can search at the Road & Track and Car and Driver magazines.
Quote:

Depending on your requirements, I also echo the sentiments of a previous posters recommendations of the WRX, miata and 93. Haven't driven the saab 93, but I've heard decent things about.

As ugly as the wrx is, for the price it's a bucket of fun that can't be beat. Miata's aren't practical, lack power unless you get the zippy mazdaspeed version, but are still very fun cars.

Considerable difference between $28.5K and $23.5K for Saab 93 counting the hefty savings. Like said this is the same reason why S40 won't cut it whereas 93 prevails in the value department.

As the Miata is concerned, the new model will have an improved engine to go with stiffer body. Moreover my curiosity is 150% aroused by Pontiac Solstice. I usually don't like American cars as the Big3 ditched their effort of making cars, NOT SUVs. But Caddy, few GM, few Ford cars are looking quite promising lately. I think the Pontiac Solstice with an hydro-formed body, big 4 banger, bilstein suspension and spyder factor is very very tempting formula. Only if this car has good driving dynamics, braking, transmission, rigidity I'll be sold for sure. This is the 1st car I'll test drive this year to see the GM's commitment in cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back