New cans primarily for rock music
Jan 3, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #16 of 47
I listen to a lot of rock and I'm quite happy with my SR225s. I find the bass to be adequately loud on most recordings even without an external amp. If you do end up buying a pair keep in mind that the bass improves as they are burned in.

Jan 3, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #18 of 47
the only complaint about grados from me is comfort. it's not their fault... i have a giant head with small ears. not a good combination. but they're GREAT for rock&metal. i'm hearing Van Halen - Jump and Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell like i never thought i would. it's just so... awesome.

not to threadcrap, but does anyone have ideas for grado pads for small-eared folk? the sr80 bowls are all the way around my ears. would todd flats be a good plan, or is there some sort of velour from another manufacturer that i don't know of from a quick search?

np: Dream Theater - The Spirit Carries On

Jan 3, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercheif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not just Shenhiser, its the headband they use. Ultrasone uses the same headband.

For example, here are my Ultrasone HFI-700

343306177_d991259984.jpg

Man send this Ultrasone to them to replace that headpband, it must be in warranty, and the new headpbands are a lot tougher...

Jan 3, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #21 of 47
I've run through alot of headphones, trying to find headphones that suit my tastes (I listen to primarily indie/prog/alt rock and some electronic music). The SR225 are the headphones I've settled on. They are the rockalizer... add Todd Flats and nothing is more enjoyable to me (save the HF1s that I have not heard and the RS1/RS2s that are beyond your budget).

Another option to consider would be MS1s with either Bowls or Todd Flats. Since you're only going to be using these headphones with a Audigy 2 ZS or X-Fi and not with an amp, you might want to consider loosing some of the scalability that the SR225 provides when you use an amp and get the MS1s for $100. They'll provide the same enjoyment unamped that the SR225s would provide. I would use either Bowls or Todd Flats with them though to add some treble sparkle that they otherwise lack.

Jan 3, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #22 of 47
cmirza: Where exactly can I buy the MS1 and MS2? A quick eBay search didn't seem to turn up much, nor on Froogle.

luckybaer: I'm smart enough not to mess with most Sony audio products but thank you anyway
biggrin.gif
Now about those K601s, how do they sound unamped and are the 701s worth the extra ~$50 over them. I see that you're using those HeadRoom Micro amps with them, glad to see that they seem to be a viable choice.

emericanchaos: Aren't those DT990s pretty tough to drive?

Right now I really don't know what I'm leaning towards...I seem to hear a good bit about the A900, and the SR225 + these "Todd Flats" which I gather are some sort of comfort-adding pads... yet I'm also curious about the Beyer and AKG options...

Jan 3, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #23 of 47
I'll have a vote twards the A900's. The amp on the Audigy is a little lacking, but, they still sound great. I love mine, great for your taste in music, but, don't listen to Beethoven's 4th with them, you will be wanting to upgrade your system like me....

Jan 3, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by JungleMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

luckybaer: I'm smart enough not to mess with most Sony audio products but thank you anyway
biggrin.gif
Now about those K601s, how do they sound unamped and are the 701s worth the extra ~$50 over them. I see that you're using those HeadRoom Micro amps with them, glad to see that they seem to be a viable choice.

LOL. Yeah, those Sony products are definitely hit or miss apparently.

The only thing I've tried the K601s with unamped is my iPod Nano. It needs to be cranked to about 90% volume in order to get to the 75 dB range. Oh... wait... I've tried running them out of my Onkyo receiver, and they sound pretty good out of that. It depends on the amp of your source, I suppose.

I've never tried the K701, so I can't tell you whether or not they are worth the extra money. I couldn't wait for vendors to restock their K701s a month ago, and I didn't want to pay a premium for them, so I went with the K601. I'm happy with them, and I'd try an AT or Grado headphone next before I went to get the K701. I've heard that the K601 is a lot like the K701, just that the K701 might resolve the highs a bit more and offer more lower end punch. That's just what I heard, though.

Jan 3, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #25 of 47
Okay, thanks for the input.

Now, on the question of closed vs. open...
I'd bought a closed pair last time because I liked the isolation, but this time I'm really thinking open because I've always heard that sound quality is better. Leakage concerns me though, and I realize it's inherent in headphones like this. Exactly how much leakage is normal though, at a moderate listening volume? A few feet away? Through walls? There is usually nobody in the same room as me but there is someone below me and a couple of rooms down from me.

Also, while I don't do so much, would I have difficulty using open headphones such as Beyer/Grado/AKG with services like Skype (two-way voice chat)? I mean, it's not a huge deal since I still have the HD280s and can always use those instead, but still.

Jan 3, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

However orders from the Alessandro or Grado websites seem to be taking ages to get through, so you'd best buy used.

Yeh that's true, I read somewhere that they are back-ordered at the moment, so unless you can wait a month or so, don't expect availability from the proper seller straight away.

Jan 3, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by JungleMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, thanks for the input.

Now, on the question of closed vs. open...
I'd bought a closed pair last time because I liked the isolation, but this time I'm really thinking open because I've always heard that sound quality is better. Leakage concerns me though, and I realize it's inherent in headphones like this. Exactly how much leakage is normal though, at a moderate listening volume? A few feet away? Through walls? There is usually nobody in the same room as me but there is someone below me and a couple of rooms down from me.

Also, while I don't do so much, would I have difficulty using open headphones such as Beyer/Grado/AKG with services like Skype (two-way voice chat)? I mean, it's not a huge deal since I still have the HD280s and can always use those instead, but still.

I only have experience with the 701s.

Guitars (Ash Ra Tempel) at full volume of a Sony VAIO A190 Pointed directly at the outside of the left driver. Inside db measured between pads w/RS SLM Lower range 50 db. fast response. They were put on a photobag to deaden the listening area of the interior to make masurements.

Inside db

3 ft

10 ft

20 ft
<50

40 ft
cnh

Out of amp
Inside db
75-78

3 ft

10 ft

20 ft

40 ft

They would not be for public, quiet areas. In an apartment, neighboors would not hear. A room mate would have issues.

This is not a calibrated, structured test. Living room w/hardwood. Just grabbed the SLM and did an impromptu check. In order to break in these headphones, I had to put them under the cushions of the couch.

To me, the difference between open and closed phones are liken to electrostatics and cone. One gives full, dynamically loud sound. The other removes some of the body but gives finer resolution.

Jan 5, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #29 of 47
Wow, that's actually really helpful, thanks. If I decide I can't tolerate the open-ear, the A900s seem to be a great option. As for your likening of it to the electrostatic vs cone thing, would the "less body, more resolution" be the open-ear or the closed-ear? Sort of a newbie
biggrin.gif

My friend has a pair of Grado SR-60, which I know are not in the same league as the phones I'm looking at (though still a great value), but I am hoping to borrow them to get a true feel for the open ear, as well as the signature Grado sound and fit in case I decide on the SR225. I will let you all know if I do.

Anyway, just bumping this for more opinions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #30 of 47
Open-wider soundstage, less body, not as much impact or as deep a bass (depending on amp)
Very generalized statement. Of course there will be exceptions. Search- 701 reviews. ASR has a very detailed review.

I am also looking forward to auditioning some MS Pros or RS-1s some day. Looking for a good rock phone too. Those K1000s are generating some serious interest though. Since everyone is trying to get 2-4 times the cost, I will just sit tight and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back