New cans primarily for rock music
Jan 2, 2007 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

JungleMan

Head-Fier
I have a set of Sennheiser HD280 Pros right now, they sound good to me, but they are physically falling apart and the cord is tangling up. I want an upgrade.

What I will be using them for: Listening to music on my computer through my Audigy 2 ZS sound card, which I am possibly thinking of upgrading to an X-Fi or other good card, but not right now. I mostly listen to indie rock but also listen to alternative, electronica, and more mellowed out piano/jazzy stuff. Most of my music is either CD-quality or near-CD quality (as in 320kbps MP3)

My requirements:
- not Sennheiser, these have left a bad taste in my mouth
- comfortable and high-quality design
- open or closed ear designs are both fine, I think open-ear would be best for quality though
- no telephone cord style cable (if they do, it must be user-replaceable with a straight cord)
- adequately powered without an external amp
- $150-250, would consider spending more if it would be really worth it to do so

Thanks, I will take any and all suggestions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ooh look, a 280 smiley!
280smile.gif
Too bad they don't have a version with falling-off earpads and tape around the top
redface.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 47
That pretty much spells out audio-technica ATH-A900. It squarely fills all of your criteria.

and you definitely won't have to worry about low build-quality. AT cans are very well made.

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 47
Appreciate the suggestions everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Grado SR-225- I have a friend with the Grado SR-60. I want something higher-end than the SR-60s, but should I try them on for size to see how physically comfortable the Grados are, or are these a different fit? I always hear the Grados are great for rock music, so this might work.

Audiotechnica A900- I will keep these in mind, they seem like they might fit the bill
smily_headphones1.gif

DT phones - by these I assume you mean the Beyer DT880s and such? I was looking at them but they seem to have high impedance, 250 ohms @ 1KHz. Would I be able to drive these with my sound card, or possibly through the headphone jack on my Klipsch Promedias? I will not be using these headphones on a portable player.

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 47
Grados are pretty bad for jazz and electronica. They're good for fast paced hard rock or techno. My first suggestion would be the HD595s....they're certainly better made then my more expensive Grados.....but if you really want to try something else
icon10.gif
Beyer or AT.

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 47
Since you've got a >$100 budget, I suggest getting the Alessandro MS-2s. I have owned the MS-1s, and they are excellent headphones for the price, and perfect for the type of music you listen to. I have heard nothing but positive feedback for the MS-2s, and I think they will fit your criteria.

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 47
Aren't those Grados made out of cheap-o plastic and have been having quality control issues lately?

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by KayoDot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you've got a >$100 budget, I suggest getting the Alessandro MS-2s. I have owned the MS-1s, and they are excellent headphones for the price, and perfect for the type of music you listen to. I have heard nothing but positive feedback for the MS-2s, and I think they will fit your criteria.

Exactly where can I buy them and how much will they cost me? A quick search on eBay, Headroom, and Froogle turned up nothing.

To everyone else: I hope I don't sound too stubborn by insisting on going unamped; it's just sort of an expensive proposition, especially if I can get something that sounds great without an amp. If you think it's in my best interest, feel free to recommend an entry-level amp for me.

And as far as Sennheisers...yeah, honestly, after 3 years of never leaving my desk, headphones that look like this are an indication of poor build quality, so I'd rather not give Sennheiser my money again. Just my two cents. (This pic doesn't even show the cord)

IMG_0271.JPG

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 47
SR225 is one helluva rock can, but bass leaves something to be desired off, atleast without bassy-oriented warm amplifier.

A900 is great all-arounder for computer use. Closed, so fan noises are blocked, good bass and highs, and really big soundstage for gaming. Also works without amplifier quite nicely. A700 is cheaper though. I dont know how the sound differs from A900.

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #12 of 47
OH MY GOD! Those Senns look like an elephant raped them!!
eek.gif

Jan 3, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #13 of 47
Well, as far as closed cans go, these Senns have sounded pretty good (though they are the first "real" set of cans I've owned so yeah), but I've always heard the open cans were better so I was really considering those.

In addition to the other suggestions, I am curious to learn more about the Beyer DT880s and the AKG K701 (or the K501 or 601). The K701 is barely within my budget as they seem to be going for $250-300 new on eBay these days, but I could swing it if they would be awesome. Not sure if they would work well without a dedicated amp though. The DT880s look comfortable and people speak highly of sound quality, and they are a bit cheaper.

Thoughts?

Jan 3, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by JungleMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, as far as closed cans go, these Senns have sounded pretty good (though they are the first "real" set of cans I've owned so yeah), but I've always heard the open cans were better so I was really considering those.

In addition to the other suggestions, I am curious to learn more about the Beyer DT880s and the AKG K701 (or the K501 or 601). The K701 is barely within my budget as they seem to be going for $250-300 new on eBay these days, but I could swing it if they would be awesome. Not sure if they would work well without a dedicated amp though. The DT880s look comfortable and people speak highly of sound quality, and they are a bit cheaper.

Thoughts?

coming from senns you may not groove with the 880's much. from what i'm being told 880's are extremely revealing and honest can while senns in general are usually a very full sounding headphone. DT990 might be a better direction to go since you're used to fuller sound. also has boosted lows and highs slightly over the 880 so i would expect them to be strong for rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back