New Cans, or New Amp?
May 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

umbalito

New Head-Fier
Just looking for all your thoughts here:

My current set-up is currently:

Laptop with Foobar playing FLAC to a Keces DA-151 DAC and to a Dared MP-5.

Cans are an AKG K271 and an AT A900.

I've been thinking of getting either a C2-C or Corda Swing - OR - a K701 or DT880.

Music is mostly rock, and acoustic stuff and some metal. Lots of female vocals. Most important is female and male vocals, and detail and instrument separation.

Any thoughts? Unfortunately, can't afford both a new amp and a new can.
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks!!

May 29, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 6
New cans. Sounds like you already have a decent source and amp, and I think you'll hear a much more different sound through new cans than old cans through a new amp.

May 29, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 6
^ Thanks man, I'm leaning towards new cans as well.

Since both my cans are closed, maybe open cans will be a nice change.

A lot of reviews recommended the K271 for vocals, which is why I got them, but for some reason, I'm just not that happy, it's like there's something missing. Vocals just aren't as intimate as I want them to be.

That's why I'm thinking of the K701 (since it's open) or the DT880 (because of the supposed brightness with highs) - though I don't know if a new amp would improve my K271's to where I want them to be.

Thanks!

May 29, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 6
I think that I am new CAN.
I think that I draw out the difference of CAN because DAC and AMP already have the one more than the level.

I think that it is also good to buy cheap KOSS PortaPro, and to enjoy Music if a faithful sound is not requested.
wink.gif

May 29, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 6
New cans FTW. In the end the cans is what gives you the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back