New Cans MS2i
Mar 6, 2010 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

HEARDATBEAT

100+ Head-Fier
Well I just took the plunge on a whim and decided to buy me some full size cans, I've been living in the IEM world for about 2 yrs with my ER4P's when I realized I need some full sized cans so I started researching and come up on these Grado/Alessandro cans and have read almost nothing but praise so after about a million questions to the buyer
smily_headphones1.gif
i bought them and at the same time bought the PS1000 bowls for them from headroom and man do they sound awesome the soundstage is HUGE. Anyway I'm running them through a Cmoy Ultra Tin Amp and it sounds good but I was wondering if a better amp might be needed? something towards the line of a P-51 Mustang or something similar?

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #2 of 19
Needed, no. Helpful, probably. The official Grado amp is said to be no more than a cmoy in a nice, wooden case.

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 19
MS2 i an extremely good can
smily_headphones1.gif
Congrats on your purchase.

I am using MS2i with Mustang. Its improves on the sounstage a lot plus details, bass and dynamics. Don have juch experience on other amp but it suits me so well that i don see any need to audition on other amp to match with MS2i any more
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried MS2i with Jumbo pads but i don like how the mids collaspe. Sound stage do improve but there is a drop of the lush mids which i love on the ms2i....and ultimately settle for the BOWL pad which in my opinion has the best balance.

Good luck on ur search
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 19
Great phones, congrats on the purchase. I haven't tried them with jumbos, due to widespread reports of what darlim describes.

I like all the other pad options with them, but like flats the best. Least soundstage, true, but most bass, most musicality and fullest body. Worth a try.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 19
I have heard much about the MS-2i being fairly well-suited to TTVJ flat pads and/or Sennheiser HD414's that have been reverse-quarter mod'ed, as well. Overall, I would expect for all Grados bellow the RS-2 and including the HF-2, L-cushions (bowls) are the best pads to use. (The exception being the SR-60 which is best paired with the stock comfies.) RS cans seem to work equally well will flats or bowls. The only Grados that work well with the jumbos/"salad bowls" consistently, apart from the GS and PS series cans, is the HF-2, as best I recall.

Congrat's on your purchase!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard much about the MS-2i being fairly well-suited to TTVJ flat pads and/or Sennheiser HD414's that have been reverse-quarter mod'ed, as well. Overall, I would expect for all Grados bellow the RS-2 and including the HF-2, L-cushions (bowls) are the best pads to use. (The exception being the SR-60 which is best paired with the stock comfies, as best I recall.)

Congrat's on your purchase!
smily_headphones1.gif

I personally think SR60i, SR80i and SR125i sound better with comfies than bowls, I don't think it's a random choice that they are come with them stock.

None of those three have enough bass with bowls for me, while they have plenty with comfies. Comfies smooth out the treble too. Using bowls with them makes the treble come across as a little harsh and overly bright. Just my opinion. Bowls on the MS2i sound great, on the SR125i the opposite, while comfies make the latter sing.

I really think the anti-comfie sentiment is a group-think thing, they need to be given another chance with the phones that come with them - trust John Grado to know what he was doing when he made them stock with those models.

Again, for me, all Grados sound better with flats, which is what they once all came with.

Mar 6, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 19
wonder if the little dot I+ would be good with alessandros since its good with grados. its half the price of the mustang but not portable. something to look into. congrats on great headphones. stop reading this site or else youll find yourself with RS1i next week.

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 19
I just got my MS-2's yesterday. Heard them before so I knew what to expect. With my Woo3+ they sound really good. Now have to figure out where to send it to get recabled?

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 19
Dumb Question? What makes them MS-2i? I saw on the website there was A MS-1 improved version for 109.99. Alessandro High-End Products

But not the others improved?

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 19
I wouldn't say MS2i + Jumbos is a good couple, too shrill and too honky mids. If you want such an effect with a more realistic tonal balance, organize yourself some HD414 pads or comfies, and glue a set of AKG K270 velours pads onto them.
ms2b.jpg

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say MS2i + Jumbos is a good couple, too shrill and too honky mids. If you want such an effect with a more realistic tonal balance, organize yourself some HD414 pads or comfies, and glue a set of AKG K270 velours pads onto them.
ms2b.jpg

wow! those look really comfortable. good job. i might have actually kept a grado in my collection (first if i could have afforded it) if i did this and the comfort level was raised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back