New Can's Help
Jan 9, 2003 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kpfeifle

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All:

Well, I broke down and purchased a used Corda HA-1
cool.gif
, should be here in a few days. I'm sure it will make a huge difference with my curent cans (AKG 240), but I am probably going to upgrade here as well. Looking at the HD580/600 or the AT ATH-A900. I have read all of the posts I could find (plenty!), and have a pretty good idea what the sound differeces are, but have not really seen anything on high imp vs low imp headphones with this amp. Will it make much difference with the HA-1? Anybody tried the AT's with an HA-1? Anybody else have any suggestions for spending my hard earned money?
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 12
I've been wondering about the same thing. What would be the perfect amp for low imp. phones like AT W1000? Maybe Gilmore amp? For Sony CD3000, some said when paired RKV the can sing like angels. What about when they are paired with AT cans?

Jan 9, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 12
I believe it was Duncan who stated that the A900 doesn't gain as much when it is amp'd. I do know that slight crossfeed may benefit certain headphones (like the Philips 910). And of course the sound will sound slightly different from both outputs (0 and 120 ohm). So experimentation is in order, but chances are that you'll be using the 0 ohm output with the A900. And even at 120 ohms, the HD600 may not sound its best. I would therefore think that the Gilmore will sound best with the A900 as it was originally designed to drive 32 ohm Grados.

Jan 9, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 12
Wallijonn:

So I guess I would be better off with the HD600, and then upgrade the cable at some point?

Jan 9, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by kpfeifle
Wallijonn:

So I guess I would be better off with the HD600, and then upgrade the cable at some point?

I would say no, but that's just my personal preference. I found that the W1000 sounded a bit better than the Senns, even with an Equinox cable upgrade added to the mix. I found the W1000 much more enjoyable and fun to listen to. The mids on the Senns are just too laid back for me, Equinox or no. Since upgrading to the current cans I own, I won't be going back to my old beloved Senns again. I might try out the Senns with th RKV using the amp's headphone jack to compare with the Impedancer's output to see if the Impedancer changes anything with the sound, but that would be te extent of my borrowing a pair of these cans.

Jan 10, 2003 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 12
kpf,

i am one of the guys who do not advocate any newbie get senns and then upgrade the cable and add an amp. i would rather that newbies go through their wallets slowly, to start with low impedance cans and then graduate upwards.

what can i tell you? i'm poor. so i'm buying the ak401, dt931, dt531 (all used) and i have the dt831, k501 and k1000. can you see a pattern? they're all over 120 ohms. the only units i bought new were the K1000, hp910 ($40 ebay), aiwa ak100 ($20), ad10 and grado sr80, and i should have bought the sr80 used, and should never had bought the audio technicas.

actually, listen to any headphone before buying if you're starting out, or it's a large purchase (like k1000, cd3000, a1000, etc). no one headphone does everything well (stax and r10 nonwithstanding). So it's easier to start with used headphones and then work your way up. attend any head-fi meetings in your area, meet up with fellow head-fi'ers in your state, and make a smart purchase.

i've heard the corda total air head and was not impressed (because they were auditioned against the Melos and SAC). So i'd rather get an all class A amp if at all possible. whether or not i can ever justify $500 for such a purchase is another matter. i'm presently looking at Yamaha A1010, M45, M65 and M80 amps as my headphone amps. otherwise i would have ended up with a Marantz 1060 as my headphone amp.

Jan 10, 2003 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 12
kevin: I'd recommend to try the new K240S - I guess, you'd be very pleasantly surprised, especially when you compare it to your old K240M. It works very well with the Corda HA-1, by the way...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 10, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 12
While I don't like to disagree publicly too much here, I will say that if you want to take teh plunge and go with some really good, high impedance ehadphones go fo it. Why waste your money buying cheapo headphones, only to turn around and sell them at a loss very couple of months. Save up and go with one of the big guns here and be done with it! See if you can find a store or person in your area with the headphones you want, and give them a listen. That way you make sure that what you like is what you buy. If I recommend the Sony CD3000 and you buy it and hate it, you only have yourself to blame.

I have tried two other sets of cans that I MUCH prefer to the Sennheiser 600s I owned for almost three years. It is a really good set of cans, but for the price that they cost, combined with an upgraded and unwieldy cable, you can still do better. If money is an issue in shelling out more than $300 at once, then save up and take the plunge. The Senn 600s, at about $220 for a B stock pair from HeadRoom, plus Cardas cables, $150 at HeadRoom, and you're looking at a minimum of $370 for them to sound their best. For that money I would highly reco looking at several other cans. Let YOUR ears be your guide for YOUR purchase. Buying on reco alone spells trouble.

Thanks for hearing out my .02 worth. I hope you get an awesome set of cans and avoid buying and selling money at a loss to get where you ogirnally wanted to go.

Jan 10, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 12
Hello All:

Thanks for the helpful replies!

Lini: Thanks for the K240s tip, however, now I see they have a K271 coming out! Might have to give that a listen.

ServinginEucador: Lot's of good advice, thanks! I understand where you are coming from, save up for a good set of phones. I have lisitened quite a bit through both a Sen 580 and a 600, so I do have some point of reference (both had the stock cable tho). They are a little laid back for me, and I thought that the AT's would be a little better in that respect. $200.00 seemes like a good price point to go with the stock HA-1, at least for a year or so. If I decide to upgrade the amp (or blue it) at a later time, I can look into the top of the line Sony's or AT's.

Wallijonn: Thanks for your help, I do like the idea of buying used. I purchased the HA-1 from a fellow head-fier and (you guessed it!), am not wealthy.

I like the idea of attending a meet, missed the last NY one at Grado, maybe there will be another soon...or maybe I will host one
wink.gif
. Thanks again all...

P.S. My wallet is now used only for storing my drivers licence
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 10, 2003 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 12
Kevin: A K240S/K271S-comparision would be nice. For myself, I usually prefer open or semi-open to closed designs - but who knows...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 10, 2003 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 12
just to wet your appetite: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1949087011 they're in NY so the 8.25% tax would still equal the $25 shipping charge. But chances are you can go down and listen to them before buying.

yes, if you know what you're buying then by all means bypass the used section. but even after listening to the dt831s i still prefer the comfort of my k501s. and long term comfort is not something that you can test for when you're listening. you can make an initial impression and immediiately decide yes or no, but you'd have to listen to a set of headphones for hours before you can decide one comfortable set of headphones over another equally good set of headphones.

how many people have bought grados, only to get rid of them with 3 months? or senns because they don't do all types of music well? well i'd rather have two or three headphones which i bought used which i can change according to whim and taste preference. the three headphones will probably cost less than that 1 headphone that was bought new.

look at the $300 headphones: A1000, W1000, CD3000, Senn HD600, and ? not too many choices. meanwhile in the $200 range you have a few more choices, and even more at the $100 range.

definitely listen as much as you can. you'll know when you're in love - there'll be a big grin on your face. that's the one to then go for. but if you can live with $60 Grados or $70 AKGs or $100 Senns until then, fine. if not, buy what you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back