New Cans for Work?
Oct 6, 2015 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

djhack1639

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I'm searching for some new cans to use at the office.

Today I'm using RHA MA750 earbuds. I like them pretty well, and chose them over the Fidelio S1, but lately I have observed two drawbacks:
1. They can be somewhat tiring to the ears. Not fatiguing from the sound, but more that my ear canals can sometimes get a bit irritated & itchy.
2. Co-workers don't notice the 'buds and start talking before I can unplug them...

I have an office with a door, but not really the room or desire for a speaker setup there. Some noise isolation is also helpful as I leave my door open most of the time. 

1. My source is currently an iPhone and will likely continue to be for some time (4s, 5s, or 6s). Much of the content is 128-192k podcasts, but I also have my entire CD collection ripped to ALAC and a few purchases from HD tracks. I've given some thought to an inexpensive (<$150) amp, but I guess it depends on which cans I end up with.
  2. Most of what I'll be listening to will be electronic music (lots of progressive house) but also jazz, big band, pop, and some classical.
  3. I'm looking for some over the ears. Most likely closed back, but open is an attractive option, as the leakage won't bother anybody and I would appreciate a more open soundstage.
  4. Sound preference should be fairly obvious based on the RHA MA750 selection - warm, full on the low end but not to crazy levels, detailed midrange, no sibilance or harshness in the highs.
  5. My typical listening time is about an hour and a half, but can stretch up to 4 hours depending on the day.
  6. Comfort is, naturally, very important. I do wear glasses and have experienced some uncomfortable pinching form cans in the past.
  7. Durability is also a factor. I'm not always gentle with my things, and some days I can be up from my desk 3-4 times in an hour.
  8. I don't need a mic, but iOS player controls would be a nice plus
  9. Price: max $250

The current contenders:
Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 or 2.0
Sony MDR7506 (Wirecutter recommendation and I've had good experiences with Sony cans and buds in the past)
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

What else should I be considering? Audio Technica (to treble heavy for me?), Grado, etc.?

Thanks very much for any responses.
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back