New Canon G11 reduces resolution from 14.7 to 10 megapixel.
Aug 19, 2009 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

john53

1000+ Head-Fier
Canon introduced the G11 premium compact camera.

Canon made a very good move reducing the mp,so we can expect quite good high iso performance,better DR,and overall improved image quality.

Also,the 2.8 tilt and swivel lcd may be a bit smaller,but it has a 461k resolution,so no significant problem here.

I think it will be a great camera,with manual controls,raw shooting,a good 5x stabilised lens...so great news from canon!

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 17
Very nice! Looks to be a solid alternative to the Panasonic LX3 for those who prefer the extra zoom to the LX3's shorter-range but much faster lens (assuming all else being roughly equal).

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 17
The G10 was a magnificent camera in the body of a tank and it looks as though Canon has improved on this with the G11. Reducing the resolution shows that they know that the number of megapixels isn't what matters in a camera.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wired_Gargoyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The G10 was a magnificent camera in the body of a tank and it looks as though Canon has improved on this with the G11. Reducing the resolution shows that they know that the number of megapixels isn't what matters in a camera.

Of course they know that,but they start realising that there are people out there who want an advanced compact with good image quality and low noise.

I think that panasonic lx 3 and the new olympus micro four thirds pushed canon to make this move...

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 17
Very nice indeed!
Hopefully this mean the end of the megapixel war, and a turn to picture quality instead.

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and a turn to picture quality instead.

which, hopefully, would result in a sensor size war. I want a ~15 megapixel full frame SLR for $1500 (new)!

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 17
I love my G10! G10 FTW, wonder if waterproof housings will go down in price now....

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which, hopefully, would result in a sensor size war. I want a ~15 megapixel full frame SLR for $1500 (new)!

D700X baby! But that'll be more than 1500...

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice indeed!
Hopefully this mean the end of the megapixel war, and a turn to picture quality instead.

I agree with this. A return to "only" 10 MP on that larger 1/1.7" sensor during a time when most current 10-12 MP sensors are of only the 1/2.3" size is a refreshing break. And picture quality should be better than the 10 MP compacts of two years ago (which used 1/1.8" sensors) thanks to improved, more efficient in-camera image processing.

The new Canon S90 IS, a brand-new pocketable camera which sports a lens which starts out with an aperture of f/2.0 at the wide end (28mm effective focal length), also uses the "new" 1/1.7" 10 MP CCD sensor. This model effectively replaces the recently-discontinued SD990 IS, a camera with a not-so-wide-angle lens (37mm) and one which packed a whopping 14.7 MP on the same-sized sensor as the new 10 MP S90 IS and G11.

If only Canon could extend the use of the larger 1/1.7" or 1/1.8" sensors (albeit with only 7 MP instead of the pricier 10 MP versions) to its forthcoming $200 to $300 successors to its current 1/2.3"-sensored SD series line...

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is Canon G10/G11 better than Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (ZS3 in North America) ?

Very different cameras. The Panasonic ZS3 has a 12x optical zoom ratio with a 24mm equivalent wide-angle end and a more conventional tiny 1/2.3" sensor. It is aimed for a different market from the Canon G11.

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdaq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice! Looks to be a solid alternative to the Panasonic LX3 for those who prefer the extra zoom to the LX3's shorter-range but much faster lens (assuming all else being roughly equal).

I used to be a huge pany fan. owned (still do) quite a few panys.

ever since battery-gate (chipping their li-ion batts and disallowing 3rd party 'pirate batts' (so called) I gave up on this brand.

its been years since I bought a canon cam but this one is semi interesting to me.

the canon guys seem to hate it due to NOT having HD movie mode. I could care less
wink.gif

as long as they don't follow pany and start chipping batteries, I may switch brands.

lx3 is also too small a zoom range. too specialized. I have 2 lx1 cams which I still think are better than lx2 or lx3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back