New Camera; First Try At Macro; Thoughts? (Large Res Pics)
Nov 15, 2008 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jon G.

100+ Head-Fier
I jumped up from an old Sony that wrote to floppy diskettes (
redface.gif
) to the Canon Power-Shot SD1100 IS. Obviously it won't be as good at macro as more expensive stuff since it's compact and really a point-and-shoot, but it's got some nice options in manual mode and the macro works pretty good for what it is.

Anyway, I got the camera this afternoon and I've been fiddling with it, seeing what it does. I really like macro photography and nature, so I definitely want to try that tomorrow; however, as it is night time in Chicago now, I made due and found stuff inside to shoot!

All shot with ISO80 at 3264x2448:
***, no resize here either..
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v142/Cylex/Macro/

Let me know what you guys think and throw any suggestions you think I could benefit from. B
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 9
Looks alright (kind of boring). It's fine for just getting it and messing around. You should see some of the ridiculous snapshots/macros I took when I first got my camera.. not too good..
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like you need to adjust white balance, though.

Edit: Also, you should turn off any IS settings if you're setting the camera on a tripod/solid surface. Leaving IS/VR on when stationary can cause extra noise when longer shutter speeds are used. If you don't have one already, pick up a cheap tripod. They're especially useful for macro shots.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 9
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...lden701-3r.jpg
Actually, this one is terrific! It's by far the best of the bunch. The composition is what makes it a good picture. Tighten up the aperture and it'll be perfect. I've messed around with it a little in hope to IMHO enhance it. Hope you don't mind! [size=xx-small](I've hosted it on my Flickr account and attributed the picture to you. If you do mind just say so. I'll take it down immediately.)[/size]

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 9
No problem, I'm thrilled somebody thinks it's good! It looks rather good, compared to the original. (I purposely gave it that fireside glow look
wink.gif
)

I can't do much about the focus, there's no way for me to adjust the aperture with this camera. (It's just a cheap point-and-shoot!) I make do with what I have.

It would be nice to have something more and a wide variety of lenses at hand, but I don't. It's on my list of things to get at some point, but I'm not made of money just yet.
tongue.gif

I'm still trying to find out how to get the best white balance, I'm getting better little by little, but it's good.

Here's some more I shot yesterday (from the same time as the one above)
Golden 701 (I balanced the whites to give them a sort of fireside glow- I think it's a tad much
tongue.gif
, but alright for now)

Red Berries

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon G. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't do much about the focus, there's no way for me to adjust the aperture with this camera. (It's just a cheap point-and-shoot!) I make do with what I have.

Stand further back and zoom in (optically).
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back