New cable help
Nov 23, 2017 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GivenTheOkiDoke

Head-Fier
I have an MSR7 and the last few weeks I have been getting some microphonics. I have been using a Little Dot 1+ with a cheap 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter. Is the problem the headphone cable or the adapter? I normally listen to the amp conected to my PC sound card but also have an rca to 3.5mm cable that I connect to my phone. Is this cable the problem?

Regardless I would like to know of any1/4" cables that work well with the MSR7. Or if anyone knows of a company that can make on for me. I would like to cut out the adapter if I can as it is really not needed.

Thanks for any help.

Nov 23, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 10
To me, it sounds like the best option is to get a cheap adapter just to check. Aren't those available at prices like $1?
Yes an adapter is easy to get my issue is what is causing the "noise"? If it is the cable it self or the cable being plugged into the adapter? Or perhaps something inaide the amp it self. On an aside it is a bit annoying that the end of the cable is angled since it leaves very minimal room from the headphone connector on the amp and the desk.

So if they do make an aftermarket cable or someone can make one for me I would like to check it out.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 10
Yes an adapter is easy to get my issue is what is causing the "noise"? If it is the cable it self or the cable being plugged into the adapter? Or perhaps something inaide the amp it self. On an aside it is a bit annoying that the end of the cable is angled since it leaves very minimal room from the headphone connector on the amp and the desk.

So if they do make an aftermarket cable or someone can make one for me I would like to check it out.

Oh, my mistake. I thought it was given that one of the parts were broken.
From what I understand, your headphone doesn't have a proprietary connector. So just look for a jack to minijack cable that you like the look of - any one should work.
I have experienced before that one of those adapters apparently single handedly caused noise. But it could also be the connector on the headphone or on the amp. Trying and failing until the problem is solved is how you find out.

Nov 23, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 10
Oh, my mistake. I thought it was given that one of the parts were broken.
From what I understand, your headphone doesn't have a proprietary connector. So just look for a jack to minijack cable that you like the look of - any one should work.
I have experienced before that one of those adapters apparently single handedly caused noise. But it could also be the connector on the headphone or on the amp. Trying and failing until the problem is solved is how you find out.
Is that basically the same as the adapter that I have?

Nov 23, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 10
Is that basically the same as the adapter that I have?

Not sure what you're asking.
The bad adapter I was talking about is of the same kind as the one you have, yes.

Using a 3.5mm male to 6.3mm male cable would be the same as using the adapter, just handier and with fewer potential failing links.
If you get a new cable, you'll be able to rule out both the cable and the adapter as the cause of the problem, should the new cable not solve it.

Also, just to confirm: your headphone has a 3.5 mm jack connector, right? As in, either end of your cable goes into the headphone?

Have you tried the headphone with the same cable on another device? Do you get noise then?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 10
Not sure what you're asking.
The bad adapter I was talking about is of the same kind as the one you have, yes.

Using a 3.5mm male to 6.3mm male cable would be the same as using the adapter, just handier and with fewer potential failing links.
If you get a new cable, you'll be able to rule out both the cable and the adapter as the cause of the problem, should the new cable not solve it.

Also, just to confirm: your headphone has a 3.5 mm jack connector, right? As in, either end of your cable goes into the headphone?

Have you tried the headphone with the same cable on another device? Do you get noise then?

Yes the cable is 3.5mm. I can use cable run straight out of the phone and it is okay. Have not tried or have anything to try out the adapter other than the amp itself. So does this rule out the cable or could the cable just pick up some issues because of the amp.

This may be reduclious but could having different electronics by the amp be causing some kind of interferance?

One thing I did not add was that I got new rca to 3.5mm cables running out of the amp and into my phone. Maybe those are the issue you think.

Nov 23, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 10
If the problems appeared along with the new cable, it very easily could be the culprit.

You solve this kind of problem by trial and error. Replace/remove a single part of the setup, listen, and repeat until you don't hear noise.

Then, when you know which part is defective, replace or repair it.

Nov 23, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 10
If the problems appeared along with the new cable, it very easily could be the culprit.

You solve this kind of problem by trial and error. Replace/remove a single part of the setup, listen, and repeat until you don't hear noise.

Then, when you know which part is defective, replace or repair it.
Yeah just was not sure if something specific was normally the culprit. I will go down the list and get it figured out. The only place I can find that makes a cable for the headphone is Moon Audio. Just for referance do you know any site that sells 0.5 ft or shorter 3.5mm female to 1/4" male cables. I can find them easily but they are all 10 ft or more.

Thanks for your help by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back