New cable for HD600s or better amp?
Mar 5, 2004 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lonestar

New Head-Fier
Which would benefit me the most, a new cable for my HD600s or a different amp? I'm currently using a MuFi X-Cans V2 with Electroharmonix tubes, sourced by a PS Audio LambdaII/UltralinkII combo.

TIA

ls

Mar 5, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 10
I'd certainly consider SS as well as tubes. Budget, tentatively I'd say less than $1K, but once I've found something I truly like, I can justify it to myself as being cheaper than therapy.

Justifying it to the missus will be a bit tougher.

Mar 5, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 10
Anything is a consideration at this time. I've lived with the 600/MuFi combo for over four years now and I'm ready for something different, maybe even Stax. Just trying to consider all the possibilities.

Apparently you think the 650s are a vast improvement over the 600s though?

Mar 5, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 10
Yes I do. I had the 600s for about 2-3 months... (thanks Gene!) I really loved them and when I saw that I could grab the 650s for about $100 more... I jumped! Well... after 3 days, I have no desire to try anything else except for maybe Stax, R10s and the 1000s.

Trust me... the 650s are heaven!

Mar 6, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 10
lonestar: don't you love how all us demented freaks at Head-Fi are so eager to help you spend your money?
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Picking up on Ron's (vedder323) idea of stepping up to 650's, you might consider an extreme makeover. Sell your 600's and amp (should bring $300 - 400 total), add that to your $1000, and now your talking wide open opportunity.

Some pleasing amp combinations that come to mind for the HD650's include:

- Corda Prehead
- Ray Samuels Emmeline HR2
- HeadRoom MAX (used)
- Singlepower SDS (used) or MPX3
- Grace 901 (used)
- and many others that others can/will suggest

You get the idea.

Where are you located? If you can attend a meet, run to one at your first opportunity. If no meets where you live, seek out fellow Head-Fi'ers with gear you want to audition. Most of us love to share this hobby.

If you can't attend a meet, hook up with a reputable vendor with a trial purchase policy - HeadRoom, Ray Samuels, Mikhail (Singlepower), Tood the Vinyl Junkie, and Audio Advisor all come to mind), and try stuff that way.

There is a world of good listening out there, and if you can afford it, go for it.

Mar 7, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 10
I vote for the Headroom Maxed Out Home. Incredible amp.

Mar 7, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Your in serious amp territory for that money. For $1K you might consider upgrading to the HD650's and Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2, or going for a Singlepower amp if you want tubes. If I remember right there is a Singlepower in the under $1K range that is excellent. There is also a Singlepower Supra in the F/S forum for $875. That's my vote, 650's and Supra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back