New, Burson Swing dual mono 9038 DAC, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Dec 18, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #31 of 216
I don't think Burson implemented this ES9038Q2M in the past, so this is definitely a new approach. However, final specs are usually lower than DAC's specs, given the analogue circuitry from the audio path; I know that some manufacturers are simply copy-pasting DAC chip's specs on their finished audio equipment, but here is not the case. :)

Dec 24, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #34 of 216
Last 24h for PLAYMATE and SWING pre-order; after that, prices will become "normal" for such equipment, so will increase accordingly. So, who wants a Christmas present, today is the big day. :)

Burson Playmate Pre Order: https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/playmate/
Burson Swing Pre Order: https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/swing/

I'm So close to ordering the Swing as I recently purchased the Fun amp and I love the sound. Problem is I've come close to talking myself into buyig a RME adi-2 dac, as I received a holiday bonus of some extra cash. It cost so much vs the Swing. What to do?

Dec 24, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #35 of 216
They say RME can handle both IEMs and planars as well from the two dedicated output plugs 6.3mm/3.5mm: https://headfonics.com/2018/04/rme-adi-2-dac-review/.
That being said, I only have one answer for you: get them both! :)

Seriously, SWING + FUN should be a great combo, so get the basic version of SWING because it's very cheap today and you can upgrade internal opamps later if you'll want to. RME ADI-2 DAC is more into the studio field, but given the fact that it drives so many cans with the built-in & low-impedance amplifier it should be able to work as standalone combo for lot of cans. So, really...get them both! You could also do a quick A/B compare between them later and we're all going to enjoy reading your thoughts.

Dec 24, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #36 of 216
They say RME can handle both IEMs and planars as well from the two dedicated output plugs 6.3mm/3.5mm: https://headfonics.com/2018/04/rme-adi-2-dac-review/.

Seriously, SWING + FUN should be a great combo, so get the basic version of SWING because it's very cheap today and you can upgrade internal opamps later if you'll want to. RME ADI-2 DAC is more into the studio field, but given the fact that it drives so many cans with the built-in & low-impedance amplifier it should be able to work as standalone combo for lot of cans. So, really...get them both! You could also do a quick A/B compare between them later and we're all going to enjoy reading your thoughts.

As ridiculous as it may sound I may end up doing just that. I'm likely to grab the basic Swing as you suggest given the pre-order price and pickup the RME later if it goes back on sale for $100 off like it did a week or so ago. I'll be liquidating some lesser used headphones and dac/amp gear soon so that may take the sting off the RME's price.

Dec 24, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #38 of 216

As ridiculous as it may sound I may end up doing just that. I'm likely to grab the basic Swing as you suggest given the pre-order price and pickup the RME later if it goes back on sale for $100 off like it did a week or so ago. I'll be liquidating some lesser used headphones and dac/amp gear soon so that may take the sting off the RME's price.

We'll I just pulled the trigger on the basic Swing. Hopefully I'll have it in my mitts by sometime mid January!

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #39 of 216
Things are moving: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IsEfMVpK10rZzO6r1MpvfuJtk__JPpA5/view.

SWING_01.png

I wonder if DAC-out is line-level (2V RMS fixed output) or volume-controlled like the Conductor V2+ is, but we'll see when the first one will put hands on this baby. :)

SWING_02.png

Good to see enough digital filters in there.

SWING_03.png

Good thing they choose 2 single opamps in LPF instead of a dual-opamp as inside PLAY. I expect a better channel separation/crosstalk and more fun in rolling opamps. :)

Dec 31, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #40 of 216

Yeah... hopefully the Swing and Playmate will be shipping out over the next few days.

I've gone off the deep end this month. Not only did I pre-order the Swing, I also purchased the RME ADI-2 DAC.

I'm not going to derail this thread with talk of other components however my initial feeling on the RME are that it is both subjectively, my opinion, and from the objective measurements made by others it is a top tier DAC and AMP. Can't wait and see how well the Swing keeps up at less than 1/3rd the price.

I do reserve that my judgement regarding the RME may come down slightly considering I can be susceptible to new gear excitement.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #42 of 216
Anyone know if Burson sends out shipping notices when you order direct from them?

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #44 of 216
Is it me or is Burson being a little misleading? The ESS flagship is the ES9038PRO. I see no mention of the Pro in their marketing. In fact they don't show a pic of the chip at all. I *highly* doubt that a dual PRO dac would cost just $400, so they must mean the 9038Q2m used in the Topping D50, Pro-Ject S2 etc.

EDIT: I see someone mentioned it's a single chip made into monaural.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #45 of 216
Is it me or is Burson being a little misleading? The ESS flagship is the ES9038PRO. I see no mention of the Pro in their marketing. In fact they don't show a pic of the chip at all. I *highly* doubt that a dual PRO dac would cost just $400, so they must mean the 9038Q2m used in the Topping D50, Pro-Ject S2 etc.

EDIT: I see someone mentioned it's a single chip made into monaural.

I've assumed from the start that they would just be using the 9038Q2M. If they were using the pro they would have surely mentioned that as it would be a big selling point. The 9038 family are the flagship DACs in the ESS line. They've definitely not be completely transparent regarding the specifics of the DAC layout wise. Perhaps they are trying to keep potential copying of their specific circuitry to a minimum, at least until the units have been released. I don't know that I read any absolutely purposeful deception in how they've marketed the Swing and Playmate.

On a general note, has anyone received a shipping notification yet? They indicated that they would be going out starting the 1st. I ordered late in the pre-order window so I figure mine will be one of the last to ship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back