New, Burson Swing dual mono 9038 DAC, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Dec 3, 2018 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 216

raoultrifan

Headphoneus Supremus
A new DAC/preamp combo gets on the market soon: https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/swing/. It's based on the ESS9038 flagship chip, stereo single-ended outputs.

Burson-Swing-S0.jpg

This price is a complete steal, coming from a 2x2W headphone amplifier with an ESS 9038 DAC chip inside and USB XMOS transport.

Burson-Swing-S1.jpg

I do love the look for sure, especially the newly designed remote along with the LCD.

Burson-Swing-S2.jpg

The transport is done around the XMOS chip, probably their latest version.

Burson-Swing-S4.jpg

Now the opamp rolling feature looks great. I estimate a really long thread about this audio device because of that and happy about that. :)

Burson-Swing-S3.jpg

A total of six internal power supplies are used. About MCPS technology we can read more here: https://www.bursonaudio.com/max-current-power-supply/, but it should be the same schematic used inside PLAY and FUN. It should deliver a lot of power instantaneously and planar headphones should be thrilled with this technologies.

Swing-front.jpg

Front plate

Swing-back.jpg

Back plate - the SPDIF/TOSLINK connectors will probably please Head-Fiers that asked for that on PLAY's thread.

Looking further for someone to get us some closer look with the internals.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 216
By looking at the above pics there are definitely 4 op-amps that can get swapped with ease for sure.

However, without a clear picture with the internal and DMM to check PCB-board traces can't tell for sure which op-amps is for what stage, but I would guess that the couple nearby the XMOS transport card might be dedicated for the I/V stage, and the remaining two op-amps for LPF and output buffer (for the RCA plug perhaps), but time will tell. :)

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 216
Im sure they will be swappable. It’s Burson in 2018 guys! :)

Cant wait to see some reviews about those beasties. :)

Dec 3, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 216
Hope they fix the noise issues with sensitive iems, and also the sound mirroring issue that is affecting some of the new Fun amps.

Is this replacing the conductor series? I would be nice if they could send a test unit to a reviewer, before the pre-order pricing is over, due to some of the issues with the newer units.

Dec 3, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 216
Some specs below:

SWING.png

Worth mentioning the USB-B, USB-C, SPDIF COAX and TOSLINK digital inputs. Kinda nailed them all, right? :)

Also, notice both RCA output pairs: one for line level and the other one for the pre-amp, benefiting by the internal volume control.

L.E.: Latest specs updated on Dec.07/2018.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 216
Just asked Burson some questions about the Swing and will share the info here.

The Swing only has a single dac chip but the rest of the circuitry is dual monaural like the Fun, no XLR outputs of course so its not true balanced, but dual monaural setup is always good to see.

The Swing has a Mic input in the back that matches up with the mic pass-through on the rear of the Fun so you can amp your microphone up like with the Play.

The Swing will include the same accessories as the play does. The Fun/Swing stack should offer superior performance over the Playmate or Play. Of course that stack is significantly more expensive so value seekers should go for the new Playmate instead.

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #12 of 216
Just asked Burson some questions about the Swing and will share the info here.

The Swing only has a single dac chip but the rest of the circuitry is dual monaural like the Fun, no XLR outputs of course so its not true balanced, but dual monaural setup is always good to see.

The Swing has a Mic input in the back that matches up with the mic pass-through on the rear of the Fun so you can amp your microphone up like with the Play.

The Swing will include the same accessories as the play does. The Fun/Swing stack should offer superior performance over the Playmate or Play. Of course that stack is significantly more expensive so value seekers should go for the new Playmate instead.
I've been using the Burson CV2+ for quite some time. I think you guys will enjoy this new amp, especially with the new chip. Mine is still using the old ESS9018 chip and it sounds clean and good.

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 216
The website is odd, as I can't figure why the DAC/pre SWING (retail $699) is more expensive than the DAC/AMP/pre PlayMate (retail $649)?

Does the Swing have the 9038 pro inside or something?

I hope Burson has a rep that give some details before the pre order sale ends.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #14 of 216
The website is odd, as I can't figure why the DAC/pre SWING (retail $699) is more expensive than the DAC/AMP/pre PlayMate (retail $649)?

Does the Swing have the 9038 pro inside or something?

How Burson has a rep that give some details before the pre order sale ends.
In the basic version they cost exactly the same. The upgrades are messed up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back