New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Apr 7, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #588 of 602
I need to buy a new headphone DAC/AMP for work to replace my AudioLabs M-DAC+ (long story short - need something without Bluetooth) and, being Australian, I'm pretty keen to give Burson a try.

Headphones will be DT1770s (I need the isolation haha), so efficient and easy to drive. I've narrowed my choices down to either the Playmate or the Conductor V2+. Source will be USB Class A (Windows 10 built in drivers) only.

Firstly, do these newer Burson DAC/Amps work without driver installs?

Secondly, is there any reason to choose the more expensive Conductor over the Playmate? The only reasons I can see are more output power (not needed), ability to use line-ins from another source (fun for A/B tests, but not really useful), and more vaguely I really like the aesthetics of the Conductor. It has an understated, minimalist appeal, a certain je ne sais quoi if you will. It's also approaching double the price and lacks all the nice filter controls and opamp customisation.
Edit: I should add, I have no intent to use DSD or super high resolution content at this stage.

Basically, I'm sure I'll be happy with either, just need a little prod in the right direction :)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #589 of 602
I need to buy a new headphone DAC/AMP for work to replace my AudioLabs M-DAC+ (long story short - need something without Bluetooth) and, being Australian, I'm pretty keen to give Burson a try.

Headphones will be DT1770s (I need the isolation haha), so efficient and easy to drive. I've narrowed my choices down to either the Playmate or the Conductor V2+. Source will be USB only.

Is there any reason to choose the more expensive Conductor over the Playmate? The only reasons I can see are more output power (not needed), ability to use line-ins from another source (fun for A/B tests, but not really useful), and more vaguely I really like the aesthetics of the Conductor. It has an understated, minimalist appeal, a certain je ne sais quoi if you will. It's also approaching double the price and lacks all the nice filter controls and opamp customisation.

Basically, I'm sure I'll be happy with either, just need a little prod in the right direction :)
The Playmate in the basic version with the stock opamps, doesn't sound quite dynamic as compared to upgraded version with either combo of the V6 opamps. The sound is otherwise mellow and intimate and most important non-fatiguing. Using mine in the Everest combo mix of V6 Classics and Vivids, which makes quite a difference.
Haven't heard the Conductor V2+ but the Conductor 3 has much bigger soundstage and instrument separation.

Apr 7, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #590 of 602
I would be buying the Everest variant if I go the Playmate route.

Soundstage and seperation is important to me, but I have read that the Conductor 3 is a big improvement on the V2+, so I'm not sure if the same differences would apply.

Apr 10, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #594 of 602
Hello to all,

I have a pair of sennheiser hd600, and i'm looking for a combo dac/amp for them.
I want to ask you what is the best choice between burson playmate (everest edition) and topping dx 7 pro.

I don't have the possibility to test any of the two devices before buying them, so that's why i ask you.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #596 of 602
Playmate has no separate analog inputs so you can't use it as an amp only with external DACs. You either feed it with USB or optical digital input.

Nov 10, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #599 of 602
For the head-fiers that want opamps or Playmate, here's the AD I got this morning in my mailbox:

Burson Click Frenzy - Playmate and Opamps sale - 3 days only
For the next 72 hours only we are taking 25% off the price of our Burson Playmates and 20% off our entire range of world-renowned audio opamps.
The Burson Playmate is our best selling product.
  • ESS9038 DAC, Xmos USB receiver, capable of processing DSD512, 32/796khz.
  • Over 2Watts pc in Class-A,
  • The option to go remote control and roll opamps.
With 25% off, who doesn't want one? Use Coupon Code: CFPLAYMATE
The Burson opamps are core to our R&D. With their incredible sound, ease of use, reverse voltage protection and a life-time warranty, they are the go-to choice for any DIYers. With 20% off, now is the time to upgrade your audio system. Use Coupon Code: CFOPAMP

Burson Online Store: https://www.bursonaudio.com/shop/
Terms and Conditions:
* Coupon Code: CFPLAYMATE & CFOPAMP (Effective between 11th - 14th November)
* Discount applies to purchases from Burson Audio web-store only.
* Order during click frenzy will ship 3 to 5 working days after the end of the campaign.
* Standard 30 days satisfaction refund guarantee applies.

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #600 of 602
I wanna mod my playmates front with a power switch that looks similar to the one on the right, but I couldn't find anywhere online 😕 does anyone knows where I can buy that micro switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back