New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Feb 17, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #571 of 602
I see you have "Mikrofon (2-USB PnP Audio Device) that should be Playmates microphone. Have you checked that default microphone in Windows sound panel?

Yes Its there. And if I go propertis/listen and blow really hard in the mic I hear a hissing sound so there is some kind of connection. The guy in the thread I linked to above has the exact same thing. The playmate is connected to USB 2.0 and I have followed the installation instruktions. I even tried my laptop out and its the same issues. I think Burson needs to update there driver. I use Win 10 1909 and 1809 on the laptop.

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #572 of 602
@andersbrile
Try to uninstall all xmos devices you have used before on your windows. the problem is in the windows, not Burson I think, try different PC to check.

@Fasterball
You have to use app like USB Audio Player Pro and make sure you have an OTG cable, with the app you can only play stored files in memory or Tidal or Qobuz or network ... etc
When connecting, first connect cable to phone then to Burson. :) Have fun

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #573 of 602
@andersbrile
Try to uninstall all xmos devices you have used before on your windows. the problem is in the windows, not Burson I think, try different PC to check.

@Fasterball
You have to use app like USB Audio Player Pro and make sure you have an OTG cable, with the app you can only play stored files in memory or Tidal or Qobuz or network ... etc

I installed on my laptop and same issue. Even did a complete new install of Windows. Burson support said the same thing. Remove all xmos and reinstall driver.

Feb 17, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #574 of 602
Sorry to hear that, it looks like a faulty xmos board, hopefully thay can send you a new one!

Feb 17, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #575 of 602
I have working microphone without Burson drivers. I think that microphone side doesnt even use Burson driver but just generic Microsoft one. Device manager shows that for me

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #576 of 602
@andersbrile

@Fasterball

I read online somewhere that all usb c to usb c cables were otg but that's not true. I was trying my usb c to usb c cable that came with the phone and that was not working. I then used an otg adapter that I got from Audioquest for the Dragonfly and worked beautifully.

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #577 of 602
So if anyone else runs into this issue this is what worked for me: from your phone you need to plug in a short usb c to usb a female otg cable and from there you need a short usb a male to usb c cable. Plug the cable into your phone first and then plug it into the Burson Playmate. On the Playmate change the input to usb-f. After this play your music and you should be good to go. The player does not matter or at least it didn't for me. I was able to use my Amazon music app.

Mar 10, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #578 of 602
You can switch around and try either, but I'd start with the Everest configuration: Classic in I/V and Vivid in LPF/Gain-stage

Hi Mouseman, I am also an owner of Playmate. Right now I have them in reverse. I didn't know the Everest has it in that configuration. I will try and see if I notice any change. Thanks!

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #579 of 602
I tried it in both configurations and I love the Everest configuration. I think it narrows the sound stage slightly but increases the detail - enough that it's worth the slight loss in sound stage. Both configurations are whisper quiet.

Mar 10, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #580 of 602
Hi Mouseman, I am also an owner of Playmate. Right now I have them in reverse. I didn't know the Everest has it in that configuration. I will try and see if I notice any change. Thanks!
I keep meaning to try all vivids or all classics (since I got spares when they were on sale), but I love the sound so much that I can't imagine it being better. It's great using my R5 as the source and streaming Amazon HD or my own FLACs.

Mar 28, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #581 of 602
Hi,
In the recent past my Playmate is completed with two V6 Classic opas.
Burson viv_class_dya.jpg

First of all I choose the configuration/position of V6 Classic and Vivid opas, to decide which one is better to my taste. After that I compare the best setup with the sound of OPA1612 in the same position.
I find the fact true, that as you can peel an onion’s layers off, you can get better and better quality with changing the components and get even closer to the reproduction of a live concert.
Using better and better operational amplifiers (OPAs), linear power supplies etc. we can get further in the layers of the onion, and get higher quality of the music.
Just take a look at my perceptions how can I hear the different configurations (LowPass stage, I/V stage)
LP: Classic – I/V: Vivid
Neutral and dim, almost dry tones. Less interesting sounding, whereas very precise, and I like the violin a lot.
LP: Vivid – I/V: Classic
Warmer and fuller tones. The sound of the instruments shows up much stereophonic
LP: OPA1612 – I/V6 Classic
Rambling parts, less defined bass appears, like the musicians play far, behind a curtain. The pale and toneless sound sift from a glass shade. It’s like the voices from a closed place and you wants to set them free to change the boring tones to much more live-like experience.
Interesting that, I did like OPA1612 rather with the Vivid.

It seems to be Burson opas - the V6 Classic and Vivid - set a higher standard!

SMPS vs linear power supply
As compared to the linear one, the music become much boring and also slower, and the saxophone crows.
We can hear a weightless, undynamic, slushy sound, slurred parts from a curtain-covered distant stage.
The linear power supply provide a much audiophile quality by far, as a much detailed and tight, live concert experience-like music. The bass, drums, and the bass guitar parts are well separated from each other, although the musicians are at close quarters.
I would like to attract your attention to the fact, that the differences showed up after contrasting the two power supplies Also with the commercial power supply only, Playmate is a worthy of note favorite of mine. To summarize, the presence of the linear power supply serve a better music quality
Summary
With the Burson V6 Vivid and Classic opa-s and a linear power supply, we can manage to get hold of a DAC , a source of a delightful sound as a Burson Playmate!

Thank you for your attention!

Player
hardware:
Raspberry Pi 3B+
software: moOde Audio player

Musics
Big Daddy Wilson & Doc Fozz – Doin’ It Right (FLAC)
Dee Dee Bridgewater – Live at Yoshi’s (FLAC)
James Carter – Chasin’ the Gypsy (FLAC)
Andrea Motis, Joan Chamorro – Feeling Good (FLAC)
Ray Brown & Laurindo Almeida – Moonlight Serenade (FLAC)
Hugh Masekela – Hope (FLAC)

Mar 29, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #582 of 602
Hi,
In the recent past my Playmate is completed with two V6 Classic opas.
Burson viv_class_dya.jpg
First of all I choose the configuration/position of V6 Classic and Vivid opas, to decide which one is better to my taste. After that I compare the best setup with the sound of OPA1612 in the same position.
I find the fact true, that as you can peel an onion’s layers off, you can get better and better quality with changing the components and get even closer to the reproduction of a live concert.
Using better and better operational amplifiers (OPAs), linear power supplies etc. we can get further in the layers of the onion, and get higher quality of the music.
Just take a look at my perceptions how can I hear the different configurations (LowPass stage, I/V stage)
LP: Classic – I/V: Vivid
Neutral and dim, almost dry tones. Less interesting sounding, whereas very precise, and I like the violin a lot.
LP: Vivid – I/V: Classic
Warmer and fuller tones. The sound of the instruments shows up much stereophonic
LP: OPA1612 – I/V6 Classic
Rambling parts, less defined bass appears, like the musicians play far, behind a curtain. The pale and toneless sound sift from a glass shade. It’s like the voices from a closed place and you wants to set them free to change the boring tones to much more live-like experience.
Interesting that, I did like OPA1612 rather with the Vivid.

It seems to be Burson opas - the V6 Classic and Vivid - set a higher standard!

SMPS vs linear power supply
As compared to the linear one, the music become much boring and also slower, and the saxophone crows.
We can hear a weightless, undynamic, slushy sound, slurred parts from a curtain-covered distant stage.
The linear power supply provide a much audiophile quality by far, as a much detailed and tight, live concert experience-like music. The bass, drums, and the bass guitar parts are well separated from each other, although the musicians are at close quarters.
I would like to attract your attention to the fact, that the differences showed up after contrasting the two power supplies Also with the commercial power supply only, Playmate is a worthy of note favorite of mine. To summarize, the presence of the linear power supply serve a better music quality
Summary
With the Burson V6 Vivid and Classic opa-s and a linear power supply, we can manage to get hold of a DAC , a source of a delightful sound as a Burson Playmate!

Thank you for your attention!

Player
hardware:
Raspberry Pi 3B+
software: moOde Audio player

Musics
Big Daddy Wilson & Doc Fozz – Doin’ It Right (FLAC)
Dee Dee Bridgewater – Live at Yoshi’s (FLAC)
James Carter – Chasin’ the Gypsy (FLAC)
Andrea Motis, Joan Chamorro – Feeling Good (FLAC)
Ray Brown & Laurindo Almeida – Moonlight Serenade (FLAC)
Hugh Masekela – Hope (FLAC)

HI! Beautiful, what kind of linear supply do You use? Did you try battery?

Mar 29, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #583 of 602
I am having a weird issue with playmate, no sound while playing music unplug/replug usb doesn't work even I restart my laptop but after I turn off and turn on PLAYMATE it works again. this is a weird issues I am experiencing right now! is this is a driver or the internal firmware on dac chip malfunctioning?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #584 of 602
My does it as well, but only after my pc goes to sleep and wake up again, I have to turn off and on the Burson again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back