New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)
Sep 15, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #1,249 of 1,256
I use V6 Classics in I/V.
All V6 Vivid I got 2V at 45% volume.

However the board revision counts too as they changed a bit the way the volume works as for the first revisions on low impedance/high sensivity headphones 2-3% volume was too much. They did that on 2 different revisions as the first time it wasn't enough. Mine I think is the second revision - with first volume change.
I still can't go more than 9% on my Beyers DT1990Pro.

It would be the best if you can measure the output, but if you can't you may give it a try at different volumes and see when it sound closer with another source you know it has 2V.
The input on amplifiers have quite a good tolerance as long you don't give their volume to the max.

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #1,250 of 1,256
Hello!
Basically I use my Playmate to music but I discovered that I have one PLAY PCB left v1.6. It's complete and working as I remember.
Soooo.... now I wonder If I can make it work somehow?
I guess I should find some matching parts like USB xmos module, Front panel with volume control, power switch...
The casing I can print on 3d printer. Some things I could solder if needed with no problems
Which modules could match the PLAY pcb, If any? I have no such technical knowledge to work it out by myself :)
PS. Already mailed burson few times about any spare parts left to resell but I got no answer :frowning2:
Glad to hear any suggestions from you, this thing needs it :D
Cheers!

Feb 4, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #1,252 of 1,256
OK, my third version/fix of the Play has died (internal power supply yet again) so Addicted To Audio made me an offer for a Playmate 2 with a discount I couldn't refuse. It's now connected to my Mac and happily playing away. What I've decided to do is cannibalise the PLAY for it's V6 Vivid opamps. Looking at it I see it has 5 opamps where the PM2 only has four. Can I assume that I would be using 2 dual and 2 single opamps in the Playmate 2? I also need to get them in the right slots do I not?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #1,253 of 1,256
OK, my third version/fix of the Play has died (internal power supply yet again) so Addicted To Audio made me an offer for a Playmate 2 with a discount I couldn't refuse. It's now connected to my Mac and happily playing away. What I've decided to do is cannibalise the PLAY for it's V6 Vivid opamps. Looking at it I see it has 5 opamps where the PM2 only has four. Can I assume that I would be using 2 dual and 2 single opamps in the Playmate 2? I also need to get them in the right slots do I not?
PLAY has 2 x singles + 3 x duals, per https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-play.22702/reviews#item-review-19746.
PLAYMATE has 4 x duals indside, per https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-playmate.23567/reviews#item-review-21676.

If you have 3 x V6, then use only 2 in I/V of PLAYMATE and leave the remaining 2 opamps as the default JRC5532D.

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #1,254 of 1,256
PLAY has 2 x singles + 3 x duals, per https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-play.22702/reviews#item-review-19746.
PLAYMATE has 4 x duals indside, per https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-playmate.23567/reviews#item-review-21676.

If you have 3 x V6, then use only 2 in I/V of PLAYMATE and leave the remaining 2 opamps as the default JRC5532D.
Thanks for posting that but this is the Playmate 2 and a couple of things I saw on line suggested that it uses both single and dual op amps though I could be wrong. They said JRC5532 and JRC5534. I got this idea by watching a couple of videos that basically said put two op amps here and another two op amps there. (The placement was 1/3 and 2/4 for the op amp slots. I suppose my best bet is to contact Burson direct.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #1,255 of 1,256
This is the thread for PLAY, this is why I posted both reviews.

Feel free to read my review for PLAYMATE and you will understand what opamps are inside and what are they ised for. Also, Burson's datasheet is explaining it in detail too.

If you're looking for PLAYMATE 2 answers, then you're in the wronv thread, sorry.

Apr 1, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #1,256 of 1,256
hey, I know this is a kinda old thread, but a month ago I got the Burson Play from my friend and it sounds amazing. But the problem is with the volume know, it works pretty badly, volume level drops from one value to another, and every time I need to rotate the knob very slowly to increase or decrease the volume. The thing goes crazier when the temp of the amp increases(class A, lol) and it's almost impossible to change the volume level. As I know there should be a remote control for these devices, but I couldn't find any. Just for fun I tried the controller from my Yamaha A-S301 and surprisingly I could find the matches for pause and volume decrease, but not for increase. So, the question is where I can buy the remote control for the amp or is it possible to use any universal remote control for this device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back