New budget modern stereo receiver or used pretty high rated rotel receiver?
Apr 12, 2017 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

yosi231

Head-Fier
Hey guys, i'm having a dilemma, i have a choise between a new budget recommended receiver Onkyo A-9010 stereo reciever  for like 300$ in my country.
Or i could buy a used Rotel RX 950 stereo receiver for about 190$, which has nice reviewes, but doesnt have a loudness function which is important for me because i listen to low volumes and want the bass to be felt (idk how the rotel sounds though, it might have enough bass).
Can you guys help me make the decision please? 

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #5 of 15

This is a headphone forum so speaker gear like this aren't as well known.

Also you posted this in the Dedicated Source Components subforum. It should be in the Amplifier subforum.

Hey guys, i'm having a dilemma, i have a choise between a new budget recommended receiver Onkyo A-9010 stereo reciever  for like 300$ in my country.
Or i could buy a used Rotel RX 950 stereo receiver for about 190$, which has nice reviewes, but doesnt have a loudness function which is important for me because i listen to low volumes and want the bass to be felt (idk how the rotel sounds though, it might have enough bass).
Can you guys help me make the decision please? 

i have zero knowledge about receivers, help please :) 

On it being a headphone forum...what are you using these with?

Downstream from it, are you using speakers? Because if it's just for headphones you'll be spending a lot of money over a headphone amp for something as large as either of these (which can be a problem for a desktop headphone system) and has a high output impedance on the headphone output, which will make low impedance headphones sound like either a tin can or gurgling molasses. Rotel still has 138ohms on its headphone output. At least if you were using it primarily with speakers in a regular hi-fi set-up (ie, not nearfield, and especially not with active studio monitors) system you'll be able to drive your primary transducers. Heck, even with speakers, if you don't need the AM/FM radio function, there are some other options. Among amps as old as that Rotel or thereabouts I'd get only the Marantz PM80 and NAD 304, 310, 314, or 3020.

Upstream from these, what will you be using? If you're going to use a PC with a DAC anyway you could install a loudness plug in, or heck, a global EQ app like Equalizer APO, and then just boost everything below 100hz and above 8000hz.

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 15

This is a headphone forum so speaker gear like this aren't as well known.

Also you posted this in the Dedicated Source Components subforum. It should be in the Amplifier subforum.

On it being a headphone forum...what are you using these with?

Downstream from it, are you using speakers? Because if it's just for headphones you'll be spending a lot of money over a headphone amp for something as large as either of these (which can be a problem for a desktop headphone system) and has a high output impedance on the headphone output, which will make low impedance headphones sound like either a tin can or gurgling molasses. Rotel still has 138ohms on its headphone output. At least if you were using it primarily with speakers in a regular hi-fi set-up (ie, not nearfield, and especially not with active studio monitors) system you'll be able to drive your primary transducers. Heck, even with speakers, if you don't need the AM/FM radio function, there are some other options. Among amps as old as that Rotel or thereabouts I'd get only the Marantz PM80 and NAD 304, 310, 314, or 3020.

Upstream from these, what will you be using? If you're going to use a PC with a DAC anyway you could install a loudness plug in, or heck, a global EQ app like Equalizer APO, and then just boost everything below 100hz and above 8000hz.

Hey thanks for answering, i didn't notice.
I will be using those only with 2 speakers (2.0), mission mv4.
Im using them with my pc, without a dac.
Still dont get it, what choise should i make?
Did the receiver technology improve in the past two decades, or is getting a fine old (1990+) receiver gonna do the job just as good?

Shoulf i post this at the amp sub for forum? Didn't know where to post this at first..

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 15
When I worked in retail I used to sell this Rotel, and later on also Onkyo. If you can live without the loudness button I'd get the Rotel. It's a much better built piece of kit, and imho far superior sonically.

I had an Onkyo AV receiver, which had a two year warranty. A month after the warranty expired, the unit failed. Estimated cost of repair £600.00. The receiver retail price was £399.00. I binned it!

May 4, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 15
May 5, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #9 of 15
When I worked in retail I used to sell this Rotel, and later on also Onkyo. If you can live without the loudness button I'd get the Rotel. It's a much better built piece of kit, and imho far superior sonically.

I had an Onkyo AV receiver, which had a two year warranty. A month after the warranty expired, the unit failed. Estimated cost of repair £600.00. The receiver retail price was £399.00. I binned it!

are you sure? the rotel is pretty old, and the onkyo is a very well reviewed piece of equipment, and is on my budget too.
isn't the audio technology on the onkyo far better?

The Onkyo A-9010 is a stereo integrated amp; not a stereo receiver. It has been very well-reviewed:

http://www.soundstageaccess.com/ind...ews/705-onkyo-a-9010-integrated-amplifier-dac

You may have to check the owner's manual, but does the "loudness" feature work on the headphone output.
what does it mean stereo integrated? whats the difference?
i will use it mostly for music, should this bother me?
because for a stereo amp this is the only well reviewed piece of equipment within my budget.

May 5, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 15
I'd go for the Rotel. I prefer their sound, and to be honest Onkyo is unreliable. Sounds good, badly made.

May 14, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 15
what does it mean stereo integrated? whats the difference?

I wouldn't call either a plain "stereo integrated.". Both of those are receivers, except the Rotel has an AM/FM receiver built in while the Onkyo is a digital (input) receiver. Stereo integrated is more like the NAD 3020, digital stereo receiver is more like the NAD D3020 (the new, tiny one with USB input and sub out).

i will use it mostly for music, should this bother me?

Depends on how you'd hook things up. Go with the Onkyo if you can use SPDIF to hook up to it, that way digital audio goes in and the analogue signal would have a shorter signal path.

are you sure? the rotel is pretty old, and the onkyo is a very well reviewed piece of equipment, and is on my budget too.
isn't the audio technology on the onkyo far better?

Amplifier technology isn't all that drastically different in terms of how different the performance is. What you need to take into account are all the digital stage features, like USB inputs, Network player LAN input, etc, when/where applicable (also dedicated subwoofer output with crossover on newer Network stereo receivers). In the same manner this is why you see HT people upgrading a lot more than 2ch stereo listeners who by some point have an amp that won't distort with practically any speaker they throw at it getting loud enough in their rooms, like getting into using HDMI or going from HDMI1.0 to a later version to simplify connections. If anything, when it comes to HT receivers, amp stages and power supply designs seem to have improved on entry level units (likely a response to affordable performance from Emotiva).

In your case if you're just going to use analogue inputs just look into the performance of the amplifier stage, as long as you can otherwise have all the analogue inputs and outputs you need. If anything, the prospect of the older unit busting anything far out of warranty and you have no store near you to fix it (and shipping heavy equipment like this is going to cost a lot) should be the deciding factor as far as age is concerned.

May 18, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #13 of 15
I wouldn't call either a plain "stereo integrated.". Both of those are receivers, except the Rotel has an AM/FM receiver built in while the Onkyo is a digital (input) receiver. Stereo integrated is more like the NAD 3020, digital stereo receiver is more like the NAD D3020 (the new, tiny one with USB input and sub out).

Depends on how you'd hook things up. Go with the Onkyo if you can use SPDIF to hook up to it, that way digital audio goes in and the analogue signal would have a shorter signal path.

Amplifier technology isn't all that drastically different in terms of how different the performance is. What you need to take into account are all the digital stage features, like USB inputs, Network player LAN input, etc, when/where applicable (also dedicated subwoofer output with crossover on newer Network stereo receivers). In the same manner this is why you see HT people upgrading a lot more than 2ch stereo listeners who by some point have an amp that won't distort with practically any speaker they throw at it getting loud enough in their rooms, like getting into using HDMI or going from HDMI1.0 to a later version to simplify connections. If anything, when it comes to HT receivers, amp stages and power supply designs seem to have improved on entry level units (likely a response to affordable performance from Emotiva).

In your case if you're just going to use analogue inputs just look into the performance of the amplifier stage, as long as you can otherwise have all the analogue inputs and outputs you need. If anything, the prospect of the older unit busting anything far out of warranty and you have no store near you to fix it (and shipping heavy equipment like this is going to cost a lot) should be the deciding factor as far as age is concerned.
I dont have an SPDIF, im not even sure what it is :)
All i need as a 2 speaker (2.0) input (with simple wires connecting the amp and wires) and an aux output for the pc.
So are you saying that even if i get a pretty old (1990+) amp/receiver which is a stereo reciever, in terms of sound (not features) i shouldnt be able to notice a difference?
Is there any other cheaper but good enough option for me?
Keep in mind that the shipping will always be pretty pricey because i live in israel and the equipment is kinda heavy.
The 1st hand receivers in my country cost too much (like 600$ min for the cheap one's).
Keep in mind i will only bee using my pc, 2 speakers, and a direct connection to my pc with an aux.
I need 20-120 wats

May 20, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #14 of 15
So are you saying that even if i get a pretty old (1990+) amp/receiver which is a stereo reciever, in terms of sound (not features) i shouldnt be able to notice a difference?

Not really unless the Rotel is faulty. If the Onkyo was a slightly older budget receiver I'd get the Rotel since there was some time that the receivers just sucked in the amp section.

Is there any other cheaper but good enough option for me?
Keep in mind that the shipping will always be pretty pricey because i live in israel and the equipment is kinda heavy.
The 1st hand receivers in my country cost too much (like 600$ min for the cheap one's).
Keep in mind i will only bee using my pc, 2 speakers, and a direct connection to my pc with an aux.
I need 20-120 wats

Look for a Class D or Class T stereo amp, something like one of the Dayton amps. You won't need 120watts unless you're trying to drive something like a Dynaudio tower in a midsize room. Or maybe a big room.

These amps are smaller so shipping won't cost as much.

May 27, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 15

The difference between a receiver and an integrated amp is that the receiver has an AM/FM tuner. How important is the tuner is up to the user. It is assumed that a stereo integrated amp is better build and has better parts than a stereo receiver.

Dependent on where the OP is from, the Onkyo A-9010 stereo integrated amp may just be a straight analog component. The digital inputs, along with the associated onboard DAC, are only available on the US model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back