New Bright Eyes CD
Apr 11, 2007 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zombieDave

500+ Head-Fier
Is anybody else digging the new Bright Eyes CD? It's called "Cassadaga". It was just released yesterday, but I've listened three times so far and, with the exception of the first track (Conor usually starts off with something weird, doesn't he?), I like it an awful lot. It's very melodic, has some new instruments & voices, and the songs are all relatively short. It definitely sounds more "polished" than the other Bright Eyes CD's and the SQ is very, very good (as usual). So far, my fave tracks are #2 (Four Winds) and #10 (No One Would Riot for Less). Oh yeah, I think I hear a nice little Springsteen influence on some of the tracks, which aint' a bad thing and doesn't really surprise me after the Kerry campaign tour!

Pick it up if you like Bright Eyes' past works, good alt-folk, or just plain 'ol decent American indie bands. It's only $7 and change at Circuit City.

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombieDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is anybody else digging the new Bright Eyes CD? It's called "Cassadaga". It was just released yesterday, but I've listened three times so far and, with the exception of the first track (Conor usually starts off with something weird, doesn't he?), I like it an awful lot. It's very melodic, has some new instruments & voices, and the songs are all relatively short. It definitely sounds more "polished" than the other Bright Eyes CD's and the SQ is very, very good (as usual). So far, my fave tracks are #2 (Four Winds) and #10 (No One Would Riot for Less). Oh yeah, I think I hear a nice little Springsteen influence on some of the tracks, which aint' a bad thing and doesn't really surprise me after the Kerry campaign tour!

Pick it up if you like Bright Eyes' past works, good alt-folk, or just plain 'ol decent American indie bands. It's only $7 and change at Circuit City.

as you can see in my sig, im listening to his cd a lot

it was released yesterday but many people got it already from pre-ordering. Classic Cars, Four Winds and If the Breakman Turns My Way are my fav tracks

great for people who liked "I'm Wide Awake" by Bright Eyes or AM by Wilco or any Uncle Tulepo and Jayhawks fans

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 10
Totally agree with jinp6301. So far, my fav track is If The Brakeman Turns My Way. It would be I Must Belong Somewhere, except I've been familiar with that track for almost 2 years (and, actually, I like this version the least). This is one band whose success does not bother me.

I've been listening to this band for about 6 years now (Conor actually went to my high school, so I'm surprised that I didn't hear of him 10 years ago), and their recent efforts have yet to disappoint.

Apr 12, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 10
I'd liken this CD (because of the song structure & length and the overall tone of the work) to those of other indie artists who were poised to become more "mainstream" after years of word-of-mouth promotion and little radio play (but who cares about airplay, anyway!) like Regina Spektor's "Begin to Hope"; Death Cab's "Plans"; and My Morning Jacket's "Z".

Apr 13, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 10
I just bought it this evening (official release tomorrow in Aus I believe). Listened once and loved it. Going to listen to it again now. And yeah, track 2 is awesome!
rs1smile.gif

EDIT: Seven bucks? Bah, it cost me AU$23!

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 10
the album art is awesome!

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 10
I never got into Bright Eyes, what's a good album to start out with?

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndbest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never got into Bright Eyes, what's a good album to start out with?

This one is best to start out imo but it all depends on your personal music tastes

Apr 15, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 10
I picked this cd up at Circuit City yesterday for $7.99...a great deal btw. I am out of town visting family so I have not had a chance to listen to it on a proper headphone setup, but the music itself is right up my alley. I can't wait until I can rip the cd onto my iPod so I can hear it on my portable rig.

I had heard of Bright Eyes a few years ago when they were on the same episode of Austin City Limits as Wilco...Bright Eyes gave a pretty good performance on Austin City Limits, but it didn't immediately convince me to go out and buy the CD like some other Austin City Limits performances I have seen...namely Ray Lamontagne.

An interesting side-story...on the way to Circuit City, my 20 year old sister-in-law asked me, "why are you buying the CD? Why not just download it from iTunes?" I told her that I didn't like the bitrate that was sold on iTunes and that I liked to rip my music using the best quality possible....but after purchasing this cd, there is another reason...ALBUM ARTWORK!!! The concept behind the album artwork is just unprecedented...seriously, I have never seen anything like it. My 2 year old son has been carting the CD cover around with him for a full 36 hours showing it to everyone...he is as amazed by it as I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back