New Bowers and Wilkins (B&W) P5 headphones
Mar 6, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried these for a quick second in the Apple Store. I didn't hook it up with my iPod but it was with an iPod nano playing 256kbps. Uhh...I didn't like it. It reminded me of Bose or Monster Beats to my ears. Quite congested and a bit muddy to my ears.

I told The B&W RSM that they needed to be amped. No biggie.

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #33 of 57
I found this excerpt encouraging, although I have no real context for it:

Quote:

The good news is that these headphones undoubtedly cut the audio mustard. B&W’s stated aim is to recreate a more natural sound, and these cans remain true to the ethos. Unlike rivals, they don’t boost the bass or doctor the treble to ginger up their performance. This takes a little getting used to, but once you do, the headphones sound warm yet lively and full of detail, just how music should be. A genuine sonic boon, then — if you can afford them.

Mar 7, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #34 of 57
Memory foam earpads? A new standard for comfort? At least it's different.

IMO if they can come close to the ESW9 or ESW10JPN's level of sound quality and be more comfortable and better built (not that the AT's are bad, but a bit lacking at the joints) there's still more room the quality portables space.

Mar 7, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #35 of 57
Well a DAP is always going to hinder a good headphone, but I don't like the idea of "congested and muddy" from a headphone at this price which has been designed with portability in mind.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The B&W P-5 headphones will be $299 when they come to the USA.
B&W's new P5 headphones, MM-1 PC speakers available soon | Crave - CNET

They are already available for sale at the Apple Store in the UK.

Soooo .... with the current exchange rate, they'll be at least £299 in the UK, if not more.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #38 of 57
They are comfortable. I am going to try to get them for my birthday next month.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #39 of 57
In order to have 20 dB of noise isolation the memory foam has to really form around your ears like my Tempurpedic mattress and pillow does. That sounds comfortable as the reviewer says.
Being that they are B&W, I say let's wait until a couple of trusted members gets a pair of these in their home setup, and let's hear what they have to say, before passing uninformed opinions.

They seem to have incredible potential, and the cost for these is almost half of a new ESW-10, and cheaper than an HF-2. Hard to believe. Especially since their speakers are between 1 and 20 grand.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #40 of 57
The pads are framed with lambskin covering them. I have listened to them and liked them. Can't wait to hear them amped.

immtbiker what does "I say let's wait until a couple of trusted members gets a pair of these in their home setup, and let's hear what they have to say, before passing uninformed opinions" Mean? I was at http://www.definitive.com/ Music Matters 5 with a few Headfiers and took the opportunity to listen to these and got the info from the horses mouth.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #41 of 57
Poor lambs. Don't they have enough problems?
redface.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #42 of 57
I'm interested to see how good the isolation actually is, because that's always a problem with on-ear headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soooo .... with the current exchange rate, they'll be at least £299 in the UK, if not more.

Someone earlier in this very topic mentioned them being £250 in an Apple store.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested to see how good the isolation actually is, because that's always a problem with on-ear headphones.

Not always. The best isolating can I have ever used is the on-ear Sennheiser HD-25.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #45 of 57
This should be interesting. Having sold B&W in my store for 10 yrs ( when I had my business ) , I can say that B&W was always a hit and miss speaker company. They would come out with FABULOUS speakers, such as the Matrix 801s, then the newer Nautilus line up, while there lower line offerings could ALWAYS be bettered by other brands at less money rather easily.
Will be interesting to see just how dedicated they are to headphones, and wether or not it is a side project, or a genuine attempt to show just how good B&W has the potential to be when they really want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back