New Bose QuietComfort Ultra (Oct 2023) Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #31 of 46
Sent my Ultra's back yesterday, which has really disappointed me, as I was enjoying them very much once I got my sound preference set. As seems to be a known Bose issue, the right earcup was distorting, cracking, hissing during particular parts of music.

Tempted to try one of the other Quiet Comforts & hope I don't get another dud.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #32 of 46
Just ordered a pair of the QC Ultras last night, should be here Thursday. I'm excited to try them out.
I've heavily eqed an XM5 I got a while back, as well as an MW75, but may sell both of those, and pick up the M4u9 and IO12. i may hold on to them all, but I don't know. Got some wired cans I'd like to pick up as well that I've demoed recently. For now, looking forward to using the QC Ultra very soon.

Jan 25, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #34 of 46
I gotta say: the Bose QuietComfort Ultra is my new guilty pleasure. The just sound fun and great, with plenty of whompy bass, rich mids, and ear-friendly trebles.

But, for me, most amazing is the Immersive Audio feature. It really works! Which is not something I can say about Apple's Spatial Audio.

Add the SOTA noise-cancelling and EQ function and you've got one helluva headphone for a relatively modest price.

Pure sonic fun. How refreshing.

Feb 4, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #36 of 46
I have QC45s which are the most comfortable closed backs I have had. I have resisted the ultras so far due to a lot of reviews citing warm ears. I hate that and is one of the reasons I don't own the Sony ear cooke... Sorry Sony XMs as every version of those I have owned have cooked my ears.

The B&W look great but they don't fold and that is a show stopper for me.

Aptx would be nice for android devices so maybe I'll cave in eventually. The QC45s though eq to sound good enough, and they are just so comfortable.

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #37 of 46
I have QC45s which are the most comfortable closed backs I have had. I have resisted the ultras so far due to a lot of reviews citing warm ears. I hate that and is one of the reasons I don't own the Sony ear cooke... Sorry Sony XMs as every version of those I have owned have cooked my ears.

The B&W look great but they don't fold and that is a show stopper for me.

Aptx would be nice for android devices so maybe I'll cave in eventually. The QC45s though eq to sound good enough, and they are just so comfortable.

Going from the QC45 to the QCU is not a big step up IMO. I nabbed an open box pair of the QC45's for $160, then tried the QCU's at MSRP. I did not notice a difference that would justify that much of a price difference. That being said, my testing was using an Apple ecosystem, so maybe Android has a better codec that makes a difference?

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #38 of 46
Going from the QC45 to the QCU is not a big step up IMO. I nabbed an open box pair of the QC45's for $160, then tried the QCU's at MSRP. I did not notice a difference that would justify that much of a price difference. That being said, my testing was using an Apple ecosystem, so maybe Android has a better codec that makes a difference?
It's the spatial audio that makes a big difference.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #39 of 46
It's the spatial audio that makes a big difference.
I always found this feature kind of gimmicky on every device I've tried, but I understand the appeal for those that like it. For the price of the QCU, you could pick up the QC45's ($160), AirPods Pro 2 ($180), and still have around $100 left over for a used pair of K7xx's. And the APP2's have Spatial Audio too.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #40 of 46
I hear you. I always felt the same. But the Bose implementation of spatial audio is, to my ears, far superior to Apple's.

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #41 of 46
I just tested the QC Ultra while stuck for hours in the Detroit Delta terminal shop. I was impressed by how the spacial audio worked, and preferred it to AirpodsMax. I was really impressed by how light and comfortable they felt, while still seeming well built. I plan on buying a pair before my next big trip in July, unless something better comes out in the meantime. They are ideal for air travel, really absolutely perfect for that IMO.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #43 of 46
No, as they rely on internal DSP, and cannot be used passively.

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #45 of 46
I use my Bose QC35 mostly for cancelling noise and focusing while working, and comfort is the main factor along with the NC capability. When I tried the Ultra did not find it as comfortable as my QC35.
I have the QC45 (the one before the latest model), and that's my use case for it. Focusing and working. The sound quality is okay, noice-canceling is pretty good. I tried the Ultra and any additional features should not be exclusive to it, and the QC45 is about 95% the same sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back