New Black Sabbath Greatest Hits
Oct 23, 2002 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
Got 2 CD "symptom of the universe" set today and it is a great success, remastered to best sound ever.

CD1
Is amazingly good remaster, I have to say straight up the tracks from 1st album "black sabbath" sounds about as good as any I have heard from a 1970 rock CD, equal to the Ludwig "stones" remasters from same time period. CD1 contains 13 tracks from albums 1,2,3 which is thier masterworks, also has new track to USA market called "evil woman" which is great stuff. It is worth the price just for CD1 alone, makes you respect BS more than ever when they sound this good. If you want a double take, check the rain/thunder opening of track 1 creates fabulous huge dark 3D soundstage, also sirens at opening of "war pigs" way off in the distance.

CD2
The sound quality of albums 3&4 are real step down from 1&2, which is a shame, but the remaster does its best to present them in their best form I have heard. Total of 16 tracks here from "master of reality" to "never say die" this is a useful CD because last couple albums were spotty with only a couple good tracks which are contained here. There are 2-3 tracks I would have replaced with stronger tacks, but they never consulted me on this.

You also get cool 50 page color booklet with lots of goodies for fans. If you have any interest in Black Sabbath get this set, my only complaint is they are charging full price for this two CD set of 30 year old songs which doesn't set well with me......GREED.

Oct 23, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

You also get cool 50 page color booklet with lots of goodies for fans. If you have any interest in Black Sabbath get this set, my only complaint is they are charging full price for this two CD set of 30 year old songs which doesn't set well with me......GREED.

Yeah, all that remastering and that 50 booklet should be free! Those fiends!

rolleyes.gif

Jun 5, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 10
I picked up these discs today and I have to agree with DarkAngel, they sound terrific. I've never heard sabbath like this, its like I'm discovering them all over again.

War Pigs has always been my favorite sabbath song and the remaster gives me chills. The sirens in the beginning remind me of my youth when they would test the air-raid sirens once a month. great stuff. I would recommend this set to any sabbath fan out there.

MJ

Jun 5, 2003 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 10
why can't they just remaster the first six albums and release them in a box set? i don't want a a greatest hits collection, i want all the damn songs. it seems some of my most favorite tracks have been left off of this release because of it: hand of doom, sleeping village, planet caravan, killing yourself to live..

oh well, at least they got the sound quailty right. i had seen this in the store and wondered if it sounded any good or not.

Jun 6, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
why can't they just remaster the first six albums and release them in a box set? i don't want a a greatest hits collection, i want all the damn songs. it seems some of my most favorite tracks have been left off of this release because of it: hand of doom, sleeping village, planet caravan, killing yourself to live..

oh well, at least they got the sound quailty right. i had seen this in the store and wondered if it sounded any good or not.

Ditto
redface.gif

Jun 6, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 10
You never seen the re-masters?

They have all been remastered long ago. Evil Woman was included with the 1st album. They all came with huge booklets.

They also released the same remastered album in special CD versions. Which recreated the original vinyl releases in the packaging, but the CD itself was remastered, but no big booklet of course.

None of you never heard of these?

What kind of fan are you
wink.gif

The End Records, a totally kick ass on-line store and killer record label offers free shipping and the best prices on-line!

They have these in stock :

BLACK SABBATH - Black Sabbath VINYL REPLICA RE-ISSUE
BLACK SABBATH - Master Of Reality VINYL REPLICA RE-ISSUE
BLACK SABBATH - Never Say Die VINYL REPLICA RE-ISSUE
BLACK SABBATH - Paranoid VINYL REPLICA RE-ISSUE
BLACK SABBATH - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath VINYL REPLICA RE-ISSUE
BLACK SABBATH - Sabotage VINYL REPLICA RE-ISSUE
BLACK SABBATH - Technical Ecstasy VINYL REPLICA RE-ISSUE
BLACK SABBATH - Vol. 4 VINYL REPLICA RE-ISSUE

They also have the new AD/DC reissues as well.

here is the link :

http://www.theendrecords.com/omega/omega.htm

Jun 6, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 10
Also noticed The End is stocking small amounts of impossible to find 1980's metal.......like currently early HELSTAR and ANVIL albums.

Try to find those anywere else at any price, I have never seen HELSTAR "remnants of war" anywhere (so I had to buy it of course) to go with my "nosferatu & distant thunder" albums

Also see they have POSESSED "seven churches" this stuff sounds great even today music wise.........only later did metal groups figure out that death vocals are even better
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 6, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 10
They also got the Audiophile remastered QUEENSRYCHE albums, everything they made after Operation Mindcrime was complete and total ****, but those early albums were great, at least at the time, don't know how they hold up today. Let's face it, Queen of the Reich was a kick ass song!

They also got the remastered bonus filled Venom albums in stock again.

And TONS of Vinyl
smily_headphones1.gif

OPETH - Damnation Limited edition Vinyl LP

Jeepers, I sure bet that one sounds good
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 7, 2003 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
You never seen the re-masters?

They have all been remastered long ago. Evil Woman was included with the 1st album. They all came with huge booklets.

They also released the same remastered album in special CD versions. Which recreated the original vinyl releases in the packaging, but the CD itself was remastered, but no big booklet of course.

None of you never heard of these?

i realized that some of the albums had been remastered before, but i doubted the quality of the releases, and i believe they were done in the early/mid 90's (import from britain, right?). i'd really like to see albums of the quality that darkangel describes of the greatest hits album. oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back