New Bjork DVD Audio!
Dec 4, 2001 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Her new album, "Vespertine" is out on DVD-A (who says there are no good titles).

There is so much detail and subtle little electronic effects on this album, it's a feast for the ears, especially headphone-lovers like us. But the DVD-Audio version-- oh my God, she's whispering in MY ear! Wish you could hear this disc on my system right now-- if you are a Bjork-lover (and if you're not, you should be) this is pure heaven!!!!!!!!!

markl

Dec 6, 2001 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 11
Thanks for the tip! I saw Bjork do a song live on HBO (Reverb 'best of' show) and really liked her. Before that I knew nothing about her sound, but now I'm getting more curious.

Dec 6, 2001 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 11
hey...just curious...whats the difference between DVD audio and SACD again??

I think i recall its essentially that one of them is an actual sound quality upgrade from CD's and the other is optimized for multi channel systems....something like that right??
confused.gif

Dec 6, 2001 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Nugen
could you categorize bjork under trip hop?

Uh...no. I think she has done trip-hop, but she's done so many other things, that...well, she's just much more than that. Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
hey...just curious...whats the difference between DVD audio and SACD again??

DVD-Audio is higher-bit-rate PCM. They've also been pushing multi-channel. PCM is the same technology that CD's use to reproduce audio, as well as 95-99% of the recording industry that uses digital (and dwindling). SACD uses an entirely new technology called DSD. It seems to be working pretty good. If you want more on this technology, I would recommend looking around on the web. There's probably even a "sacd.com" or "dsd.com" or something... Quote:

I think i recall its essentially that one of them is an actual sound quality upgrade from CD's and the other is optimized for multi channel systems....something like that right??

No, they are both higher fidelity formats than CD, both are (now) multi-channel capable, but one is an entirely new technology (SACD/DSD), and the other uses existing technology but at higher bit-rates (up to 24/192).

Dec 6, 2001 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 11
I was less than impressed with vespertine. Bjorks previous releases were much better IMO.

Its almost like she set out to cliche' herself... If thats even possible, I feel like she has accomplished it nevertheless.

Dec 7, 2001 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 11
thanx for clearing up DVD audio and SACD. In canada i see more marketing and products behind DVD audio (like at www.futureshop.ca ). However, I have seen that in asia, SACD seems to be pushed more, since they now have main stream jpop artists releasing SACD.

Dec 7, 2001 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 11
I'm sticking with 16 bit 44.1 k until I can rip this higher resolution stuff to MP3s. It kills me to have to wait.

Anyway, I really think that both DVD-A and SACD are doomed as most consumers won't care about the added resolution and may only *mildly* care about multi-channel music.

It hurts me to say this becasue I don't think there is enough headroom in the 16 bits and 44.1k just annoys the crap out of me (especially with female vocalists like Bjork).

Heres to wishing Sony and Phillips had done it right to begin with! (BTW, right to me is 32 bit, 96k but that isn't going to happen anytime soon)

Dec 7, 2001 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 11
SAVD? You mean SACD, right? And where can I find a list of the jpop artists on SACD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back