new big screen advice
Feb 2, 2006 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

cpw

Headphoneus Supremus
So (against my wife's wishes as usual) I'm looking at an upgrade. This time it's the TV that I already spend too much time in front of as it is. At least my wife appreciates that I'm home instead of in a bar somewhere.
I'm looking at two Sonys that I can buy at unit cost + a couple percent.
I'm trying to decide between a 50" or a 60". They are both Sony SXRD.
I can squeeze the 60" into my space if I want to but it's tight.

1) My viewing distance in almost exactly 10' from head to the screen. Is 60" too big?

2) Anybody recommend a stand to support sthg like this w/ a high WAF? Doors to enclose components and accomodation for a ctr ch speaker= a must.
Am sorta looking at a Salamander Synergy triple unit but it adds up fast & w/ options will be well over a grand.

In spite of my charter membership as a member of "Team Covert Upgrade", I don't think even I can pull this one off!
biggrin.gif

Thx,
CPW

Feb 2, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous
By the way, how do you score a SXRD at cost?

A friend is the buyer for an HT store/install svc.

Damn! I was hoping someone would say 60" was too big and make my life easy.
CPW

Feb 2, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 16
I recently bought a 50" tv, after much deliberation. I now wish I had bought the 60", so my advice is........Get the biggest tv you can fit into the space available! Especially if it's an SXRD. 60" all the way.

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 16
Those SXRDs are awesome, you made a great choice there! They look 99% as good as the Qualia 006 (we had both at the store I work for during the summer) at 1/3 the cost.

I agree with the previous posters, definitely get the 60" if you can swing it.

Edit: What's really nice is when you can get gear below cost. Some of the audio companies do that for store employees.

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 16
Anyone think 60" is too big from 10' away?
CPW

Feb 2, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 16
Only if you were really convincing.
biggrin.gif

No hop eof that now I guess.
CPW

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
CPW

What are you going to be watching and how picky are you? At 10', HDTV is no issue, and most good digital channels will be fine also. Poorer digital channels or analogue channels can look somewhat krappy, but it depends how picky you are. If I was going to watch compressed digital channels or analogue 75% of the time, I would go with the 50" from 10'. But if I was going to watch HDTV most of the time, I would definitely go with the 60".

P.S. Check out avsforum.com and in particular their Rear Projection subforum for many, many posts on the SXRD, viewing distances, tweaking, etc.

Feb 2, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
CPW

Nope, not a chance. I think my 92" projector screen at 13' away is too small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back