new bie needs help with iPOD--windows user
Apr 7, 2004 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ultraviolet353

Head-Fier
just got a 10GB iPOD from a friend. Installed itunes for Windows (latest version from Apple). Connected iPOD to my computer thru firewire connection--formatted the drive and now for the past 24 hours a circle with a line through it keep sflashing saying "Disk Mode--Do Not Disconnect." I have connected and disconnested a few times to no avail. How the heck do I transfer my mp3's to this iPOD. I thought it would be simple. The manual says to click thge iPOD icon in iTiunes-there there isn't one????? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I must be missing something because this should be really simple.

Thanks

Apr 7, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 21
OS X user here, but can you disconnect the drive (sorry I'm confused)? Try right clicking on your iPod in iTunes to disconnect. There should be an icon at the bottom that looks like an iPod for changing firewire/other mode.

However you need to be "connected" (Firewire mode or not) to transfer files. What happens when you drag your tunes from the library (top right/bottom right side - artist, album or track) to your listed iPod (left side) in iTunes?

Apr 7, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 21
If the iPod reads "Do Not Disconnect" AND it's not listed in iTunes, there's a problem. You may try rebooting your computer. Windows is a little finicky for "mounting" drives, but if you're unable to correct this that way, try reformatting iPod again. If that doesn't help it may be time to call Apple.

Apr 7, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 21
I had a lot of problems connecting my iPod to my PC initially - in the end I downloaded Anapod and used that instead of iTunes and have had no problems since. You might want to try the demo of Anapod and see if that solves your problem.

Apr 7, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 21
i received the iPOD in pristine condition--never been used. I reformatted because a format dirve box popped up in windows so I formatted in FAT32. I just rebooted the iPOD and a folder with anexclamation mark popped up--now it is blank.

Apr 7, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 21
I just read a post in the iPOD lounge forum with someone who was having the exact same problem. He then responded, "problem solved: all i needed to do was upgrade my iPod... to 2.1." What does he mean by upgrading the iPOD to 2.1? Maybe that is what I need to do...

Apr 7, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 21
Does it have a slot on the bottom for a dock? If not, the above upgrade won't work (why I asked).

Apr 7, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #13 of 21
Damn--I just updated to 1.3 ipod software for Win XP and still when I connect--itunes doesn't see the ipod and I get the "Disk Mode/do not disconnect message." What is so weird is that windows recognizes the ipod but iTUnes does not?!?!?!? ARGHHHHHHH

Apr 7, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 21
I think one of the major problems to begin with was your formatting of the iPod. I'd sign up at iPodlounge and ask a few more detailed questions... undoubtedly more people will be able to help you here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back