New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Nov 22, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #871 of 898
I feel really stupid now but I already had DT700 ready to be returned but didnt have time to send them yet. Tiny voice in my head told me to give them one more try... right now I am listening to them on Xonar Essence and it seems like they finally clicked with me. I am runing them on extra high gain (300-600 ohm headphones, but it works best on 32 ohm DT880 too) with just 6% volume. Oh boy this vocals are so addictive..

Going back to laptop and yuck, its not as bad as before but it definitely lost fidelity... so even if they are rather easy to play loud, instrument separation and energy is really audible with amp..

I dont know what to do now. Maybe I will just keep both /dt770 at work and dt700 at home/. Or maybe I would like DT900 even better /I dont need isolation at home/ and if it give them sligthly more space and treble it would be best...
I'd say perhaps get a different H/P amplifier/DAC (or subscribe to Roon for streaming, it has excellent DSP) and then decide again. I use the DT 700 Pro X with a Mojo 2, MB Pro 14", Tidal and Quobuz HR services and Roon. No excess bass whatsoever and well extended, integrated treble.

Imho the 700 Pro X easily holds its own with Sennheiser 6series and/or the lower Hifiman's (Sundara in my case).

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #872 of 898
I'd say perhaps get a different H/P amplifier/DAC (or subscribe to Roon for streaming, it has excellent DSP) and then decide again. I use the DT 700 Pro X with a Mojo 2, MB Pro 14", Tidal and Quobuz HR services and Roon. No excess bass whatsoever and well extended, integrated treble.

Imho the 700 Pro X easily holds its own with Sennheiser 6series and/or the lower Hifiman's (Sundara in my case).

Thank you for reply. I was thinking about that but that would cost me way more than I wanted to invest just for casual listening at work. (240 euros headphones + around 180-200 euros decent DAC/AMP combo like Topping DX3+/Schiit Fulla in Europe).
My JVC HA-RX700 that cost 40 euros actually sound great for that price. If they dont have tendency to break after few years I would still keep them but I am not going to buy 3rd pair. I think that Beyers will last 10 years easily, thats why I was trying just this 2 closed headphones.

Lesson learned. DT700 are not bad and I actualy like them on Xonar Essence STX. They are not as bright as other Beyers /dt770 or dt880/, their soundstage is not as big as DT770s, their vocals are beautiful, acoustic music sounds good but they are not easy to drive... Easy to drive loud? Yes. Easy to drive to sound great ?... Definitely not.

So I am really returning them and maybe when I will be on quest for new headphones for home I may come back to them... but I will have to try DT900, DT990 600ohm and HD600 first..

Thanks for reading and sorry for confusion. Thats just my 2 cents :wink:

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #873 of 898
A little comparison of the 700 pro x with a dt770 80 ohm version. My initial thoughts were 'What, where is all this bass coming from?? This is too much!!!' Then I compared them to my Dynaudio BM15 (with Dynaudio subwoofer), and it suddenly made sense. It basically sounds like a speaker system WITH a subwoofer. Which on paper sounds amazing/brilliant/well done by Beyerdynamic, but then that does not mean the sound is actually all that comfortable, as having a subwoofer on your head is not the same as having it in your room. Frequency response wise older dt770 sound much closer to Dynaudio BM15 speakers, there basically is almost no to very little difference while comparing those studio speakers vs dt770. So I'd say they're more accurate (I have pleather earpads on, btw, as the velour ones are too bright and sound weird in the high upper mids/highs). While dt700 pro have a beefier sound, with a little subdued upper mids, which kinda makes the sound 'cleaner' in a way (not a good thing when using them for mixing, I'd rather hear that 'dirt').
Otherwise well done on the 700 pro x, Beyer!
Oh, PS, At one point I removed the inner inlays on them to look if it attenuates the bass and adds some sparkle, but it seems to not do that much... or maybe I was too tired to notice the difference on that occasion...
Also, there's a bit less bass when I run them off my M-Audio 1010LT PC card, which I am mixing on, so that helps. Wanna try the 900 pro x now.

PPS. Forgot to mention that microphonics of the cables of dt700 pro x are atrocious - MUCH worse than on dt770 pro. You'll hear every touch and every movement. It's a pity Beyerdynamic decided to overlook this nuance.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #874 of 898
I experienced the headband quality issue and replaced it today. I felt compelled to write a post about it.

I bought my pair last June, I suppose it was an early model. I used it daily since then and as of today, over eight months later, the leather is almost entirely peeled off on both sides of the band. There has been no stress to pull the leather out, the glue simply gave up. It's not sticky at all anymore.

Apparently the new versions have improved amounts of leather in the headband. I had to buy a replacement one from a US supplier (I'm in Canada, where Beyerdynamic's support is non-existent and part availability is worse, so shipping alone was the price of the damn replacement). Luckily it's the improved version with more leather.

I do not understand what Beyerdynamic was thinking with this original design. The amount of foam they put into the band has the leather under a constant degree of stress, there was no way that tiny little extra bit of leather in the original design would be able to hold it together forever. Even if they used super glue, which they didn't, it would not last with that much pressure and heat from use, and so little surface area that could adhere to the plastic.

The new version looks a LOT more promising so here's hoping but it's absolute bull they are not offering free replacements to all purchasers. This is such a basic and rudimentary design flaw, you can tell it won't work from just LOOKING at it.

It's such a shame because I otherwise love these headphones. They've improved my Counter-Strike game for sure.

Mar 1, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #876 of 898
Just spotted this thread.
Would any of the 2 models be any good for listening to trance music?
I like good bass.
I have a mp3 player for listening.
Cheers.
Yess

Mar 1, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #877 of 898
Just spotted this thread.
Would any of the 2 models be any good for listening to trance music?
I like good bass.
I have a mp3 player for listening.
Cheers.
They are rather easy to drive and should work well with most players. I used to own DT700 which had nice bass and a lively presentation. I seem to remember that reports at that time that the DT900 had a bit less bass.

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #878 of 898
Yes. Replace the 3pin by a 4 pin connector and then rewire internally so that the ground is no longer shared.
I found some info on Headfi "
Do note that since the grounds of the 2 drivers are internally connected together, you won't be able to use this headphone with a balanced cable
unless you change the mini-XLR connector to a 4-pin one (the factory one is 3-pin).
"
Does anyone modded the DT 900 Pro X with a pin 4 pin mini XLR? And maybe you have a layout so we can see which wire to solder where on the 4 pin mini xlr.

Attachments

• beyerdynamic dt 900 pro x no balanced amp connection possible.png
    beyerdynamic dt 900 pro x no balanced amp connection possible.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 14, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #879 of 898
Look weather simple actually, you just have to separate the two black wires to their respective neg connectors on the 4-pin xlr. Try to find existing cables to keep the assignment aligned with others.

But the question still remains: what do you hope to gain with such an efficient, low impedance driver?

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #880 of 898
Look weather simple actually, you just have to separate the two black wires to their respective neg connectors on the 4-pin xlr. Try to find existing cables to keep the assignment aligned with others.

But the question still remains: what do you hope to gain with such an efficient, low impedance driver?
I would like to connect it to the Meier audio Corda Soul with 4pin xlr. Otherwise I will have to buy a Meier Audio Soul adapter.

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #881 of 898
I would like to connect it to the Meier audio Corda Soul with 4pin xlr. Otherwise I will have to buy a Meier Audio Soul adapter.
I see.
I think this should be rather easy to accomplish. The 4-pin mini-xlr jacks are the same size, internal cabling looks simple enough.
This looks like a balanced pin out for XL4:
https://robrobinette.com/images/Audio/4-Pin_Lugs.jpg

Before connecting the cable to your amp verify the amp pin out… shorting a balanced amp will kill it most probably.

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #882 of 898
I see.
I think this should be rather easy to accomplish. The 4-pin mini-xlr jacks are the same size, internal cabling looks simple enough.
This looks like a balanced pin out for XL4:
https://robrobinette.com/images/Audio/4-Pin_Lugs.jpg

Before connecting the cable to your amp verify the amp pin out… shorting a balanced amp will kill it most probably.
Thanks but I think it would be better to just leave it as it is.

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #883 of 898
This is actually a great headphone ! I just received it and I am testing it with UAP and an ibassodcelite dongle.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #884 of 898
Recently got a hold of the DT 700 Pro X, wasn’t able to give them a proper extended session last time. Been trying out a lot of Senns the past year or so. I’m really enjoying the DT 700 Pro X’s sound, it just gives me a deep connection to the music. I’m starting to like these more than I liked the DT 900 Pro X when I had those but I have a different system now.

Honestly listening to these after my long foray into Senns is confirming I truly do prefer Beyers to Senns; the Senns of course have their own strengths. There is a couple main reasons I prefer Beyers though; first there is a dynamic vibrancy to the sound that Senns just don’t have but the main reason I prefer them is that Beyers in general are just more effortless to my ears, this makes them less fatiguing to me. This is especially true of Beyers with tamer treble responses such as the DT 700 Pro X, T5 Gen 3, T1 Gen 3, etc.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #885 of 898
So whilst I'm mainly a speaker guy, I've had need for a headphone for both music listening and also to work with a guitar headphone amp (Boss Katana Go!).

I've had the DT 770 (80ohm) for many years as my go to (I've always leaned to closed backs for dat bass). I'm currently testing the following Beyers: 700 Pro X, 900 Pro X and DT 1770 (velour pads). For background I'm not modding any of the headphones in any way at all or using EQ as I want to test the purity of the out-of-the-box settings.

I need to do more listening tests but so far the 700 Pro X is leading the race. The soundstage to me is very comparable to the 900 and the 700 is outpacing the 1770s for both vocals (and separation of vocals when there's more than one singer) AND guitar solos. For example testing the outro solo for Comfortably Numb the 1770 just sounds....weird, it's like the solo is too distant. The 700 sounds better imo. Similarly vocals on the 1770 seem unnaturally further in the background compared to the 700s/900s.

The 1770s (serial number 95K) do sound improved over a pair I auditioned back in 2021, which sounded very boxy for lack of a better term - this new set sounds a least richer but there is something still weird with the general soundstage and overall presentation. 700 and 1770 are comparable on bass, but vocals and guitar solos sound better on the 700. I also think the 700 has a superior soundstage/dimensionality.

Biggest surprise between the 700 and 900 is that the soundstage is very similar but I get more bass on the 700.

All 3 are superior to the 770, but I'll only be keeping one of the 3 and I'm leaning towards the 700.

Treble sounds worst on the 1770, it is sibilant. The 1770 is surprisingly efficient and can be run pretty well without an amp but it's at its best with an amp.

On the guitar Katana Go headphone amp, the 700 actually has the best staging and natural sound particularly using the different stage mode settings.

On the overall detail/clarity/resolution, it's a weird one, the 1770 sounds like it has more but sounds "artificially sharp", whereas the same details are easily discernable on the 700/900 but without the artificial feeling. This could be mistaken as the 700/900 sounding veiled but I don't find this to be the case.

Will continue more testing tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back