New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Oct 21, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #856 of 898
I am pretty interested in the DT700 Pro X, but as long that headband padding issue is not resolved I think I'll pass. 233 euro is just too much money for this issue to happen, after only a few months.

Oct 21, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #857 of 898
Oct 21, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #858 of 898
What headband padding issue ?

And there a lots of threads on Reddit, which I think am not allowed to post links from on this forum. Just google DT700 of 900 Pro X head cushion issue.

Oct 21, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #859 of 898

And there a lots of threads on Reddit, which I think am not allowed to post links from on this forum. Just google DT700 of 900 Pro X head cushion issue.

I have heard about that. What made me give up on the DT 700/900 Pro X wasn't their sound, but I actually found their headband very uncomfortable to me. Which is shame as I really liked how both sounded.

Oct 21, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #860 of 898
I am on my second pair. No issues whatsoever.

The power of the internet is astonishing :L3000:

Oct 22, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #862 of 898

That YTer perhaps a little over-dramatic about Amazon putting it in the land fill, amazon used stock has holes in there headphones and 20 deep scratches, clearly 2nd hand used stock which customers just do the swapping trick.

But I get his points, polar or beyer should have just done the right thing, quick and easy take a pic (like he said) and then send a £12 new headband out to the customer at their own expense, retailers and companies do sometimes go "by the book" and want the goods to make a decision since its the tech department so you do have to play ball sometimes to get what you want.

Could have also ordered them from ebay for a fiver...

Its a common issue see it on the B&W forums often with their PX7-8 series, not exactly the issue you want to see with a pair of £280-600 headphones.

I hope beyer do fix this in later revisions since their products are like tanks and good quality.

Oct 22, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #863 of 898
How are Beyer owners cleaning this thing?

Id imagine the velor pads are absorbing the sweat, while the DT700 Xs are comfortable and nice its not like you can see any sweat/water like you could on pleather/leather pads. For now I just use a baby wipe daily to clean it but this Velor looks like it could just be absorbing the liquid from there.

Oct 24, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #864 of 898
For now I just use a baby wipe daily to clean it but this Velor looks like it could just be absorbing the liquid from there.

Why would you do that ?

On Reddit, you can find detailed instructions how to disassemble DT 700 Pro X pads in order to wash them :)

Oct 24, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #865 of 898
Why would you do that ?

On Reddit, you can find detailed instructions how to disassemble DT 700 Pro X pads in order to wash them :)

Perhaps its my ocd or just use to owning pleather/leather type padding before, I just like the idea of keeping it clean. Guess washing them regularly is ok but sounds a lot more long winded since you have to let the foam dry then.

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #866 of 898
DT 900 Pro X owner here and yes, indeed i had to buy a new headband ... and lucky me, i got the outdated version. The newer version of the headband has a more glued surface area. But i got a Wicked Cushions headbandZ for Audio Technica that totally works and is more comfortable when installed with the stock headband.

The thing i hate about these DT 900 Pro X is the overall plastic build. i think i broke some plastic parts without noticing, just by stretching the headband. I heard a "clack!" and now the right earcup connection to the headband makes some noise like it was not fitted properly.

Other than that, the other thing i hate about the DT 900 Pro X is the sound ...
... and i hate it because i really like the sound and when paired with a quality source ... It makes the decision to step up hard! :D

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #868 of 898
I own DT880 32 ohm for like 14 years that I learned to love and appreciate. My music preference also changed over years so my favourite genre right now is symphonic metal. DT880 excel with this kind of music and also has great synergy with Asus Xonar Essence STX.. I borrowed friends AKG K712 Pro for a few days but I prefer my DT880 over it... so this is my background now back to topic :).

Now I am on quest to replace my 2nd broken pair of JVC HA RX700 as a headphone for work and narrowed it down to DT700 and DT770 Pro 80 ohm. So I ordered both of them and am listening to them right now both on laptop Dell Vostro and PCI-E soundcard with headamp Asus Xonar Essence STX.

So far I must say that I prefer what I hear from DT770 Pro 80ohm over DT700. Maybe it is that I am used to DT880 signature so when switching to DT700 I was like... Where are all trebles and why there is so much bass ? Seriously, it sounds really veiled and bass is just too strong for my taste. Guitars in music like Eleine or Nightwish lack energy and are overpowered by bass. DT770 is somewhere in middle. I dont find it more sharp than DT880 and it definitely hass more balls /bass/ than DT880, but its bass is not on steroids like its with DT700. Soundstage is much bigger on DT770 too /compared to DT700/. Comfort wise I also prefer DT770. This are just my initial impressions that may change over time /I will keep both of them for a few days and then return one/.

Only thing that I like better on DT700 is that they are easier to drive /I play them on 25% volume on laptop, while my DT880 32 ohm requires like 40% and DT770 80ohm 50% for same loudness/.

I will come back here with my impressions later but so far DT770 > DT700 on like 90% of tracks that I tried.

Nov 21, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #869 of 898
First, English is not my first language so please forgive some mistakes in spelling etc. :wink:

So... DT700 are on the way back to shop. I compared them with DT770 80ohm and DT 880 32 ohm. A/B/C them wasn't actually that good idea because difference between DT700 and DT880 is like day/night difference. I felt like my ears and brain was about to explode. They both exagerate exact opposite of spectrum /bass on DT700, treble DT880/ and changing from one to other was almost painful experience.

So I tried to do most of comparision just between DT700 and DT770 80ohm that are more similliar but I still dont get it how DT700 should be better sounding DT770 because their sound signature is really different. IMO with DT700 Beyer is trying to expand their audience to people that dont like that Beyer peak..

Soundstage: DT700 has soundstage as... closed headphones. DT770 on the other side has definitely bigger soundstage that helps a lot for majority of music that I listen to. This is my no 1. reason because I never had that "wow, this sounds magical" effect as on DT770.

Treble: DT700 sounds excellent on some tracks but very dull on other. There is defnitely very low chance to hear sibilance. On the other side... Yes, sometimes my ears are trying to hide from that treble attack on DT770, but it is not that often. Actually majority of time it is what makes them special. With excellent soundstage its just last piece from sounds goood, to WOW this sounds great! I came back to some of my electronic music when comparing this headphones, and boy, I dont know why I didnt buy DT770 instead of DT880 those 14 years ago when electronic music was majority of my playlist..

Bass: DT700 has excellent bass. But it is too much bass sometimes... As someone already mentioned. DT700 have speaker like quallity - of course very detailed speaker but with smaller soundstage it doesnt sound as good as DT770 /I hear peak on both of them but they have it on different frequency/. Yes bass in DT770 sometimes boomy, and sometimes mess with other frequencies but it happens with DT700 too.

Mids: On some tracks mids are better on DT700.. they are more forward. DT700 definitely has MORE BODY to sound. When A/B them DT770 sounds almost thin at times. DT700 also has more details in mids.

Comfort: DT770 hands down. Too much clamp force on DT700 /will probably isolate better/ and strange pressure on my ears /something that dosnt happen with DT770 or DT880/

Power requirements: As I posted before I am looking for pair of headphones for work so majority of time I was listening them on my Dell laptop when I will use them. I did some tests also on Xonar Essence STX /PCI E card with headphone amp/ and android phone. DT700 are definitely much easier to drive... I dont feel like pushing volume bar too hard with them, majority of time 20-30% is more than enough.. /on vostro laptop/. They are easy to drive, even easier than 32 ohm DT880. Only difference that I heard when switching sources was that on android phone, DT700 sounds even more dull /but loud enough at like 50%/. I dont think that there was some audible difference between laptop onboard sound and Asus Xonar. I was afraid that DT770 80ohm would be so hard to drive that my laptop wont make it but they sound good on around 40-60 max volume. /right now I am listening to them at 27% and its not bad either/. I think that on Xonar DT770 sounded more V shaped than on laptop, but nothing spectacular. I was suprised that on android phone DT770 80 actually sounded good at around 80-85% volume..

Now we are getting to price... I bought DT770 80 for 140 euros, DT700 were 240 euros. Are DT700 worth 100 euros more? Definitely not for me. Its not like they are more refined version of DT770. Its completely different sound signature. I would still pick DT770 even if price was same. With 100 euros diffeerence, its no brainer for me.

Now some artists that I tried when comparing them:

Eleine, Nightwish, Amorphis, Lorena McKennitt, Dash Berlin, Prodigy, Indila, Katy Perry, Gary Jules, Chris Isaak, Cake, Metallica, Aneta Langerova, Westworld OST, Lindsey Stirling, Witcher OST /my favourite song Burn Butcher Burn actually sounded better on DT700/, some random Psy Trance, and many more I dont remember

Pics below... funny how my old DT880 looks almost brown compared to new velour pads. I should probably replace them

Edit: just typos
:wink:

Attachments

• IMG20231120124729.jpg
    IMG20231120124729.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20231120124757.jpg
    IMG20231120124757.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #870 of 898
I feel really stupid now but I already had DT700 ready to be returned but didnt have time to send them yet. Tiny voice in my head told me to give them one more try... right now I am listening to them on Xonar Essence and it seems like they finally clicked with me. I am runing them on extra high gain (300-600 ohm headphones, but it works best on 32 ohm DT880 too) with just 6% volume. Oh boy this vocals are so addictive..

Going back to laptop and yuck, its not as bad as before but it definitely lost fidelity... so even if they are rather easy to play loud, instrument separation and energy is really audible with amp..

I dont know what to do now. Maybe I will just keep both /dt770 at work and dt700 at home/. Or maybe I would like DT900 even better /I dont need isolation at home/ and if it give them sligthly more space and treble it would be best...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back