New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Aug 20, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #676 of 898
I just got the 700 pro x and the stock cables are way too long for me so I’m looking at replacements. Do they work on balanced 4.4 or should I just stick with 3.5? My devices support both jacks
No balanced on DT

Aug 20, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #677 of 898
I just got the 700 pro x and the stock cables are way too long for me so I’m looking at replacements. Do they work on balanced 4.4 or should I just stick with 3.5? My devices support both jacks
The connector on the DT700 has only 3 contacts, so balanced wouldn't work. But they are very efficient anyway.
AKG Cables with mini-XLR connectors on the headphone side should work btw., and those are available in many forms/lengths.

Aug 20, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #678 of 898
The connector on the DT700 has only 3 contacts, so balanced wouldn't work. But they are very efficient anyway.
AKG Cables with mini-XLR connectors on the headphone side should work btw., and those are available in many forms/lengths.
Yeah I ended up getting a 1 meter cable

Aug 31, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #679 of 898
IMG_6033.jpeg

Apples and oranges comparison of two consumer greats, the open-back Sennheiser HD 560S and the closed-back Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X:

Tidal on Mac > JDS Atom DAC > JDS Atom Amp

• Both the HD 560S and DT 700 Pro X are relatively neutral headphones. However, the DT 700 Pro X features a healthy bass boost, whereas the HD 560S sees an emphasis in its lower-treble.
  • Tonally, the DT 700 Pro X is, to my ears, much smoother, warmer, full-bodied, and musical. By comparison, the HD 560S is relatively analytical—almost sterile—and can sound coarse and unrefined depending on source and upstream equipment.
  • The DT 700 Pro X is much more vigorous and robust in its presentation, whereas the HD 560S tends to sound relatively limp and lifeless on certain tracks out of most solid state amps I’ve paired it with.
  • The DT 700 Pro X displays a distinct perception of dimensionality and an atmospheric, enveloping presentation, which the HD 560S seems to lack, coming across as somewhat flat and one-dimensional.
  • In terms of staging, while the DT 700 Pro X sounds predictably more enclosed owing to its closed-back design, I find its soundstage to be appreciably wider and more spacious. The HD 560S on the other hand sounds more open and airy as a result of its, well, open design.
  • Technically, the DT 700 Pro X strikes me as being appreciably more resolving and detailed than the HD 560S. The HD 560S exhibits a more distinct appearance of surface clarity, but this seems due primarily to its tuning, in particular its lower-treble emphasis and relatively more dialled-down low-end.
  • Despite the HD 560S’s relatively flat response, I find the DT 700 Pro X to display a greater sense of realism and timbral accuracy.
  • Transparency and separation appear similar enough between the DT 700 Pro X and HD 560S. Without close A/Bing, I am unable to discern any meaningful differences in this respect.
  • Bass digs much deeper and is presented with significantly greater heft, authority, and vigour on the DT 700 Pro X. However the HD 560S does have the edge in terms of speed, grip, and definition.
  • Mids are significantly fuller-bodied and pleasing on the DT 700 Pro X with a better sense of realism. The HD 560S’s mids are presented in a more conventionally ‘studio monitor’ fashion. Upper-mids can sound somewhat shouty on some tracks to my ears with the HD 560S.
  • Treble is much smoother and more delicate on the DT 700 Pro X, being somewhat peakier, more emphasised, and at times metallic-sounding on the HD 560S.
Overall, I find the DT 700 Pro X to be the much more pleasing and enjoyable listen, and minimally on par with the HD 560S technically, if not surpassing it altogether in several aspects. Beyerdynamic has somehow managed to create in the DT 700 Pro X a studio headphone that is at once rich, musical, and accurate.

This is now my favourite closed-back Beyer besides the DT 150 (with DT 100 velour pads). For reference, closed-back Beyers I've owned: T5p G2, DT 1770, DT 770 80 ohm and 250 ohm. Amongst the sub-$500 closed-backs I've had, including the E-MU Teak and Shure SRH1540, I would easily pick the DT 700 Pro X for its sheer versatility, excellent tuning, and technical performance.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #681 of 898
After a botched attempted to replace the cable on my 770 after a decade of faithful service I was faced with the difficult choice, a new 770 or the 700. I'm not a wealthy gearhead, I just like to listen to music.

I think for the DT700 the designteam of Beyerdynamic sat down and pondered the question 'what can we improve on the DT770?'
'maybe we should make the cable replaceable?' One of them suggested. 'I've been browsing the web and the replaceable cable mod is quite popular'. 'Let's do something about impedance, 250 ohm is tricky for the sources these days' another engineer said. Someone else mumbled something about burn-in and then they got started.
At least that's what I imagined happened when work started on the DT700. And the results are there. The cable is replaceable. They sound good from the first moment and anything can handle a 48 ohm set of cans.

Some impressions:
Bass: Everything but the girl - Low tide of the night. It rattles the molars. You can actually hear that the synthetic bass has a slight distortion because it's so cranked up. And yet it balances well with Tracey's vocals. Let's throw a little bit of Bach at it, Toccata and Fuge BWV 565, the track so beloved by early horror films. You can feel the big organ pipes doing their thing.
Mids: This is about detail Loads of it and it doesn't matter what you throw at it, vocals, violins, you name it. Texture and details is there in a way that I've never heard on anything cheaper.
Highs: Beautiful! It's obviously capable way beyond my middle aged hearing. And it nowhere gets piercing, sibilant or annoying.

General:
Soundstage: about the same as the 770
Warmth: The 700 is a bit cooler, more neutral, the 770 has more warmth which is nicer on jazz
details: The 700 is way outperforming the 770 here. It makes the 770 sound like it has cotton stuffed in the cups.
Comfort: The 700 has more clamping force but that can be adjusted of course since the headband is all metal.
Compared to the Sony WH-1000XM3.. Sony has BT and good ANC but otherwise sounds hopelessly muddy.
Compared to the Soundmagic e80: Bit of a skewed comparison. The 700 has more detail but the e80 is no slacker and sparkles a teeny bit more in the highs and is just alittle bit warmer in the mids.

Conclusion:
If you can feed these a diet of well recorded music on CD or lossless files then this is a very, very capable and enjoyable set of cans. Have them run lossy material then you'll miss out on the shine. If you're of the bass=quality school of thought then just get the 80 ohm 770 or something made by Teufel.

Oct 23, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #682 of 898
I bought the 990 Pro 250 and loved the wide soundstage and the slam/prat on metal. And the comfort. Treble too much but can be Eqd successfully. But as always, more is more so now 900 Pro X is on its way, will be interesting!

Oct 25, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #683 of 898
Conclusion:
If you can feed these a diet of well recorded music on CD or lossless files then this is a very, very capable and enjoyable set of cans. Have them run lossy material then you'll miss out on the shine. If you're of the bass=quality school of thought then just get the 80 ohm 770 or something made by Teufel.
Totally agree. Got the 700 Pro X on sale so a bit cheaper than RRP. Connected to my Android phone (Foobar Mobile>24/192 FLAC track) via a Shanling UA2 portable DAC. Absolutely joyous.

Oct 25, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #684 of 898
I got the 900 Pro X, yes, they sound somewhat correct already without any EQ. And boy are they easy to drive!

900PROX.png

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #686 of 898
Which one do you prefer for fun listening, with EQ if you like?

So far, probably the DT990 Pro, it's wild and dramatic. The 900 Pro X is somewhat more correct, and maybe less exciting. Depends on music of course. I would say the 900 Pro X is sort of like a HD600 with Beyer soundstage. Of course, it's more usable as it's easily driven, and straight detachable cords are a big plus.

Looks like I won't be able to escape the DT1990 Pro

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #687 of 898
Out of the 3 (DT990, DT900 and DT1990) my personal preference was/is the DT900 closely followed by the DT1990.
I have no need to EQ or do anything with or about the DT900. The DT1990 is a little too aggressive treble wise for me. The DT990 is indeed wild and dramatic. I keep a tamed version (tygr 300r) around for movies, TV and special moments.

Oct 25, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #688 of 898
I replaced DT 900 Pro X with DT 1990 Pro :)
I use TYGR 300R in the office (indeed tame and very comfortable).

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #689 of 898
Are there any alternative choices for a balanced pair of headphones at this price range (max $1000)? I'm a newbie to the game and was looking to invest in new gears to make use of the lossless library.

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #690 of 898
The most balanced can on the market is the Sennheiser HD600, its pure textbook, but it lacks a little oomph in the bass scales well with amps though. The DT 900 Pro X sounds reasonably similar, but with more punch in the bass and a bigger soundstage. I would say it's a pretty good deal, especially because it's so easily driven. Then we have the planars, but they require a lot more in the form of amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back