New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Dec 17, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #391 of 898
Aw darn.

Well, my logic was that if the 770 earpads fit the 700 Pro X, then I could go online and purchase leather pads made for the 770’s and put them on my 700 Pro X’s since I prefer leather ear pads for all my music.

The pads that came with the 700 Pro X are 100% fine and are the most comfortable ones I have worn yet. I just wanted to see if there were options for me out there for these 700’s!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #393 of 898
Thanks. That's disappointing to hear, because I was looking for that super low hertz rumble.
The song below has a repeating rumble every 1 second, which I believe reach down to as low as 5Hz. (Not sure how much of that is retained after Youtube compression.) The peak of that bass sits somewhere around 30Hz, but I suppose it should sound somewhat different between 1770pro and 700proX.

Of course such low frequency is super rare, but occasionally I'd like to hear (or rather, feel) that sub bass.

Picking this title up again, and some others heavy on really low bass, I have to add the AKG K-371 to the list... goes down real low. Unfortunately its not that comfortable to me, with the pads being a tad too shallow and my ears touching the driver covers, but its overall performance is betraying its asking price. Did I mention that nice subbass? Just don't go with the Bluetooth variant, that was quite a disappointment to me, missing that lively performance of its cabled brother.

Dec 18, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #394 of 898
Picking this title up again, and some others heavy on really low bass, I have to add the AKG K-371 to the list... goes down real low. Unfortunately its not that comfortable to me, with the pads being a tad too shallow and my ears touching the driver covers, but its overall performance is betraying its asking price. Did I mention that nice subbass? Just don't go with the Bluetooth variant, that was quite a disappointment to me, missing that lively performance of its cabled brother.

I agree about the sub-bass on the K371. The problem for me was that some of the midbass seemed light. Bass guitars would often sound recessed to me. DT700 has extra bass emphasis, so definitely not a problem there.

Dec 18, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #395 of 898
I agree about the sub-bass on the K371. The problem for me was that some of the midbass seemed light. Bass guitars would often sound recessed to me. DT700 has extra bass emphasis, so definitely not a problem there.
That’s correct, the K-317 has only a subbass emphasis which works quite well with electronic music but not that good with rock et al.

Dec 18, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #396 of 898
Guys, since beyerdynamics wanted these new line of headphones to be 'mobile' friendly being easily driven and all, would it be a waste of money to get a pretty fancy DAC+AMP for this? I'm using the Fiio E10k now but i'm not sure if upgrading can improve these cans.

I'm looking at the Monolith by Monoprice DAC/AMP 788. Am I just wasting money by getting this or will there be an obvious sound improvement?

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #398 of 898
Guys, since beyerdynamics wanted these new line of headphones to be 'mobile' friendly being easily driven and all, would it be a waste of money to get a pretty fancy DAC+AMP for this? I'm using the Fiio E10k now but i'm not sure if upgrading can improve these cans.

I'm looking at the Monolith by Monoprice DAC/AMP 788. Am I just wasting money by getting this or will there be an obvious sound improvement?
My 700PRO X sounds great both on my desktop setup and with my DAPs. so if you solely use 700PRO X I don't think you need to buy fancy desktop setup. it's likely more about sound characteristic of DAC+AMP than price range.

If you want to enjoy other balanced headphones than 700PRO X in the future, and if you convince the characteristic of the DAC+AMP fits your liking after some research, Monolith would be a go.

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #399 of 898
I auditioned K371 some years ago, and I don't remember being impressed by its bass. Maybe I didn't manage to get good sealing. Also the treble was a little bit soft iirc (not Sennheiser soft, but still).
Unfortunately K371 seems to be entirely discontinued now here in Japan, and only the BT variant is available.

Dec 18, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #400 of 898
Does anyone know of any good EQ settings for the 900? I usually hope for some oratory, AutoEQ, or headphones.com settings but I haven't seen anything as of yet. Im a complete novice when it comes to my own settings so I like to take theirs and tweak.

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #401 of 898
Doesn't even work that well with a lot of EDM, where the main beat is carried by the mid bass.
The DT700 has a more versatile bass, but the K-371 offers enough midbass for my taste. Titles with intense midbass are what the „skip forward“ button is made for on my devices :wink:

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #402 of 898

They might sound better, but absolutely not required. My 900's were so easy to drive that I had the volume on my heresy at around 9 o'clock, rather than my more typical 12 o'clock. That was on low gain.

Unless you're itching for an upgrade, I'd say stick with what you have.

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #405 of 898
Is the 900 sharp like 990 ? I don't like too much treble

The sharp treble has been smoothed. As @rawrj pointed out, this has been confirmed by most people. It also has been confirmed by independent measurements of the frequency response.

So they still are brighter than many headphones, but it doesn't bite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back