New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Dec 7, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #346 of 898
I think the 48 ohms and high sensitivity of the DT 700 an DT 900 is due to Beyers aim that they work well with pro USB audio interface, which have notoriously low headphone amp output.
They are certainly much easier to drive than the old DT770/80 (or 250), yes. My impression is that Beyerdynamic feels to have optimized the new drivers so that slightly heavier voice coils are not that much of a problem any more. Therefore they aim to support as many sources as possible, for the Pro models obviously USB interfaces are an important segment.

I think the 80ohm impedance was due to older studio equipment requirements, but nowadays there’s a much larger market segment using low-powered equipment that’s not so happy with 80ohm load and much less with rather power hungry 80ohm headphones

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #348 of 898
Since I couldn't find the 900 PRO X for sale anywhere in the USA and since another Head-Fier had recently posted that Beyerdynamic had told him that the phones had been recalled, I asked Beyerdynamic when the 900 PRO X would be available. I also asked if there had been a recall.

The response from Beyerdynamic was that the phones would be available the second week in January and that there was a problem with the cable. I remember reading that some users had connection problems so I guess that confirms that the phones have been recalled.

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #349 of 898
Since I couldn't find the 900 PRO X for sale anywhere in the USA and since another Head-Fier had recently posted that Beyerdynamic had told him that the phones had been recalled, I asked Beyerdynamic when the 900 PRO X would be available. I also asked if there had been a recall.

The response from Beyerdynamic was that the phones would be available the second week in January and that there was a problem with the cable. I remember reading that some users had connection problems so I guess that confirms that the phones have been recalled.
So the problem is just with the cable itself and not where it plugs into the headphone? I have a set that should be here tomorrow and now I'm wondering if I should just return it straight away. I have an aftermarket cable on the way too so if it's just the stock cable that's no biggie.

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #350 of 898
If there’s an issue with the cable, why only a recall in the US? I can still see the item on other online sites. Um… not even making announcement about recall in other region ?

Dec 10, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #352 of 898
My long cable for the 700's is faulty.
Totally unacceptable for a new product in my opinion.
Thankfully I'm happy to use the shorter cable...but normally it would be a big deal.
Faulty how?

I dropped Beyerdynamic a line this morning to try and clarify this cable issue. Will provide any update.

Also - please all forgive me in advance for this cynical opportunism, but if anyone is looking for a high-end (but affordable) 3rd party cable, please check out my classifieds as I have one for sale (I already have another spare 3rd party one I'm keeping).

Dec 10, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #353 of 898
Dear all, update on the so-called DT700/DT900 "recall" issue: FAKE NEWS.

Screenshot 2021-12-10 154243.png

Dec 10, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #354 of 898
Dear all, update on the so-called DT700/DT900 "recall" issue: FAKE NEWS.

Screenshot 2021-12-10 154243.png
Thank you for investigating, it sounded fishy to me from the beginning…

I’m happy they chose mini-xlr since it’s easy to get other cables for that connector or even make one myself.

Dec 10, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #355 of 898
Faulty how?

I dropped Beyerdynamic a line this morning to try and clarify this cable issue. Will provide any update.

Also - please all forgive me in advance for this cynical opportunism, but if anyone is looking for a high-end (but affordable) 3rd party cable, please check out my classifieds as I have one for sale (I already have another spare 3rd party one I'm keeping).
I think it was the right side (of the longer cable) that kept cutting out several times, when I moved my head!
Like I said, not really acceptable for a new product.
(Still enjoying the 700's with the shorter cable though)
Fake news or not on recalls, there does seem to be an issue with some longer cables (think I remember an online review also mentioned this).

Back to the sound, damn this is good...

Dec 10, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #356 of 898
I think it was the right side (of the longer cable) that kept cutting out several times, when I moved my head!
Like I said, not really acceptable for a new product.
(Still enjoying the 700's with the shorter cable though)
Fake news or not on recalls, there does seem to be an issue with some longer cables (think I remember an online review also mentioned this).

Back to the sound, damn this is good...
Yes, this should absolutely not happen. Did you talk to Beyerdynamic already? They should obviously replace the faulty cable if that das DOA.

It's nice to have two cables included though. I normally use short cables and did not bring the long one along with me. Will check it when I get home next week.

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #357 of 898
Yes, this should absolutely not happen. Did you talk to Beyerdynamic already? They should obviously replace the faulty cable if that das DOA.

It's nice to have two cables included though. I normally use short cables and did not bring the long one along with me. Will check it when I get home next week.
I'll try to report back when I hear from them.

Dec 12, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #358 of 898
I have read that Beyer claims the pair sounds great right out of the box. Yet when I try on the demo, I found the treble are so sharp and too bright on my hugo2. Does anyone have the same experience? Or the cups should run at least few weeks to sound normal?

Dec 12, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #359 of 898
Yes, sounds ok out of the box.
Maybe beyer isn’t the best pairing with your hugo/ears.
And 700/900 x has less treble

Dec 12, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #360 of 898
I have read that Beyer claims the pair sounds great right out of the box. Yet when I try on the demo, I found the treble are so sharp and too bright on my hugo2. Does anyone have the same experience? Or the cups should run at least few weeks to sound normal?
Using them for some time gives your ears and brain time to get accustomed to their sound, especially when using one set exclusively.

On the other hand there’s no need to force anything… if you don’t like them, that’s perfectly fine. Many people love the Utopia, but they do absolutely nothing for me. Your ears, your music, your taste after all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back