New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Dec 6, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #331 of 898
In my opinion, most headphones suffer from being too bright and from treble spikes. (besides the obivously very dark tuned ones). Speakers rarely do. My monitor speakers the Neumann KH310 are considerably "darker" than most studio headphones in the 300$ range. Since the Neumanns measure flat in the mids and treble in my room i guess that is more natural/neutral than what most headphones achieve. I have owned the DT1990 and its far from what i would call a middle ground. I havent heard these 2 new beyers yet yet but from impressions and measurements, they might be what i would call a middle ground.
Most head-fiers are used to too much treble, and weak bass. IF you take flat speakers into the equation. Just a personal observation.
That’s an interesting point and reminds me of a short discussion with Fried Reim of Lake People / Violectric. Talking about the slightly warm signature of his amps he told me: just listen to some concert. There’s not that much treble there, and we’re aiming for that natural feeling.

I‘m not too sensitive to treble, and I dislike muffled sound for sure. But yes, over the past few years I came to appreciate what was also Tyll Hertsens target sound, a bit warmer, fuller. I’m listening to electronic music almost exclusively on headphones, so there’s no absolute reference point… yet warm and detailed is my current preference. Oh, and do I mention deep bass? Wall shaking, breath taking — oh yes. Unstructured or overpowering? No, thank you.

I can appreciate a glittering treble and don’t want to miss air, but when things get sharp as knifes while trying to show off resolution (that’s not even there)… that’s not for me. So yes, I’ve liked several Beyerdynamic models of yesteryear, but I do appreciate their change of signature.

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #332 of 898
Excellent points being made re natural sound signatures, Lake People/Violectric amps and of course the qualities that are more audiophile and are therefore supposedly better...

The idea of a well executed (aiming to be accurate and natural) 'studio' can, has a lot more appeal to me these days (for listening to music).

My Lake People amp is driving the 700's with plenty of authority and really does seem to be a decent match with both the headphones and Chord Qutest dac.

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #333 of 898
So, I want to get this correct. Beyer has recalled the 700 DX and 900 DX because of connection problems with the XLR connector on the phones? Updated model is expected in January 2022?

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #335 of 898
Was posted here earlier by a Head-Fi member that he was given this information from Beyer after he ordered from them but the order never shipped. Amazon is no longer selling them and Sweetwater is no longer selling them and saying they are coming soon. Sweetwater had them available recently but they don't say they are out of stock, but the product info reads to me like they are saying it is a new item they are waiting to receive. Haven't checked any other online sources to see if anyone else still has them available.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #337 of 898
Was posted here earlier by a Head-Fi member that he was given this information from Beyer after he ordered from them but the order never shipped. Amazon is no longer selling them and Sweetwater is no longer selling them and saying they are coming soon. Sweetwater had them available recently but they don't say they are out of stock, but the product info reads to me like they are saying it is a new item they are waiting to receive. Haven't checked any other online sources to see if anyone else still has them available.
Ok, it's weird as they still seem widely available in EU.

Thomann has them ready to ship… doesn’t look like a large scale recall
Quite. Supply issue to the US maybe, but they're available at the usual EU outlets.

Never noticed anything dodgy on my XLR connector personally.

Dec 6, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #338 of 898
Quite. Supply issue to the US maybe, but they're available at the usual EU outlets.

Never noticed anything dodgy on my XLR connector personally.
Me neither. Sounds a bit to me like a hotline guy getting creative with explanations :wink:

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #340 of 898
While I'd not classify the DT700 as dark, its not as treble-happy as past Beyerdynamic models. Unfortunately I've yet to hear the new T1/T5 models, but from what I read I'd put the treble level a bit above those two but well below DT1990 et al.

I think the new pro models are well worth their asking price and definitely worth checking out. I'd be interested in youropinion vs. T1/T5 especially, but I gather you don't own those any longer?
Not my intention to tempt you: T 1.3. :rolling_eyes:

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #341 of 898
Dec 7, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #342 of 898
Of
Not my intention to tempt you: T 1.3. :rolling_eyes:
of course not. How would you :wink:

Problem is, the T1 is rather open and I really prefer closed back models. But the T5 seems to have a rather heavy midbass bump… which is a no-go for me… that’s essentially why I did not test those two. Yet.

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #343 of 898
Of

of course not. How would you :wink:

Problem is, the T1 is rather open and I really prefer closed back models. But the T5 seems to have a rather heavy midbass bump… which is a no-go for me… that’s essentially why I did not test those two. Yet.
Yes, and also the new T1 lack of volume control (at least in my case) - I suppose it's because the low impedance, because I don't have this issue with my other cans -. I was trying to listen to some gothic metal with them and had the volume at minimum and my wife came to said to me to low the volume :slight_frown: :rage:

My Asus Xonar Essence One don't have gain selector, but my friend @Kammerat Rebekka also reported this with an AMP and the gain at low position.

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #344 of 898
Yes, and also the new T1 lack of volume control (at least in my case) - I suppose it's because the low impedance, because I don't have this issue with my other cans -. I was trying to listen to some gothic metal with them and had the volume at minimum and my wife came to said to me to low the volume :slight_frown: :rage:

My Asus Xonar Essence One don't have gain selector, but my friend @Kammerat Rebekka also reported this with an AMP and the gain at low position.
Beyerdynamic wanted to make the new models compatible with mobile players… therefore the much lower impedance on the T1 (there was a 32ohm version available for Gen 1 or 2, branded by Astell&Kern btw). Together with the already very efficient drivers this is a problematic for desktop amps so guess.
The original T1 was rather closed… much more so than the K812, which had my wife mention that she heard my music in the next room… that was not a problem with the T1. But I guess the gen 3 is more open now.
It’s not that I strictly need closed headphones, but overall I prefer them. Also because of the better presentation of bass of course :wink:

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #345 of 898
Beyerdynamic wanted to make the new models compatible with mobile players… therefore the much lower impedance on the T1 (there was a 32ohm version available for Gen 1 or 2, branded by Astell&Kern btw). Together with the already very efficient drivers this is a problematic for desktop amps so guess.
The original T1 was rather closed… much more so than the K812, which had my wife mention that she heard my music in the next room… that was not a problem with the T1. But I guess the gen 3 is more open now.
It’s not that I strictly need closed headphones, but overall I prefer them. Also because of the better presentation of bass of course :wink:

I think the 48 ohms and high sensitivity of the DT 700 an DT 900 is due to Beyers aim that they work well with pro USB audio interface, which have notoriously low headphone amp output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back