New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Nov 23, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #301 of 898
Thats strange. DT1990 pads are softer then T1s and they flatten easier then them as well. I tried both on T1's and found original much more comfortable then 1990.
My issue is not because I found them more or less comfortable, is because the inner space of the pads is smaller in the T 1.3s and pinched my inferior ear lobes.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #302 of 898
My issue is not because I found them more or less comfortable, is because the inner space of the pads is smaller in the T 1.3s and pinched my inferior ear lobes.
1990PRO earpads and 700PRO X earpads have different cross-sectional shape. see attached picture. the measurement is approximate but enough to tell the difference.
If your ear lobes managed to sit safe in the red area on 1990PRO, 700PRO X earpads may cause problem because they lack that space.

FE4d0rFaMAAFqtX

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #304 of 898
I sent them back today. I enjoyed the sound, but the comfort a bit less. If I didn't know better I'd be happy with them but unfortunately I have heard better and ones with less clamping issues but YMMV.

Perhaps I'll try them again in the future.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #305 of 898
Many headphones with spring steel headbands (e.g CA Cascade, Beyer's pro models) are made to be adjusted by the users along with their preference after purchase. Beyer pro models have excess clamping force right out of box for those who need extra environment noise attenuation. It's a bit sad to see people have to give up those headphones because of clamping force issues:cry:

Nov 25, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #306 of 898
Many headphones with spring steel headbands (e.g CA Cascade, Beyer's pro models) are made to be adjusted by the users along with their preference after purchase. Beyer pro models have excess clamping force right out of box for those who need extra environment noise attenuation. It's a bit sad to see people have to give up those headphones because of clamping force issues:cry:
Noise attenuation on an open back headphone? I get the idea with the dt700 because they are closed. But with the dt900 the excessive claming force makes no sense in my opinion

Nov 25, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #307 of 898
Noise attenuation on an open back headphone? I get the idea with the dt700 because they are closed. But with the dt900 the excessive claming force makes no sense in my opinion

Yes, with the DT900 the only argument might be that looking down / moving around might be more common in a studio environment than while listening at home, and the clamping might help keep the headphones in place.

But I think it’s really the intention to provide a more secure fit on the pro models. I did not check if Beyerdynamic still publishes that pressure, but when they did, the pro variants had stronger clamping force over the non-pro versions for DT880 etc. So taking things in one’s own hands and loosening that grip a bit might be the way to go.

Nov 25, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #308 of 898
Yes, with the DT900 the only argument might be that looking down / moving around might be more common in a studio environment than while listening at home, and the clamping might help keep the headphones in place.

But I think it’s really the intention to provide a more secure fit on the pro models. I did not check if Beyerdynamic still publishes that pressure, but when they did, the pro variants had stronger clamping force over the non-pro versions for DT880 etc. So taking things in one’s own hands and loosening that grip a bit might be the way to go.
They do actually. The clamping force, according to the beyerdynamic Website is 5,3 N. For comparison: the dt990 pro only has 3,5 N.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #309 of 898
They do actually. The clamping force, according to the beyerdynamic Website is 5,3 N. For comparison: the dt990 pro only has 3,5 N.

Yes, indeed they still offer these values. I just checked DT880 Edition (2,8N) vs. Pro (3,5N), which was where I initially noticed that difference. I also found a short description of the differences between Edition and Pro models, where they explicitly reference higher clamping force on the Pro models as related to better fit while moving around in the studio. I don't quite understand why the new DT700 has a much increased clamping force over the older Pro models though... yet its still very comfortable, which is a bit surprising since I'm rather sensitive to high clamping force. But those pads are the proverbial ear-pillows :wink:

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #310 of 898
I bended and stretched the headphones to my liking and still ended up deciding to send them back. I got a broad head apparently and have issues with a lot of headphones.
If I get a headache or need to constantly adjust the position due to hotspots, why should I keep the headphones, to torture myself?

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #311 of 898
If I get a headache or need to constantly adjust the position due to hotspots, why should I keep the headphones, to torture myself?

No, no sense in torturing yourself. Comfort is even less transferable than sound signature… but even more important I‘d say — after all a good sounding headphone doesn’t help if one can’t use it due to comfort problems.

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #312 of 898
according to the beyerdynamic Website is 5,3 N. For comparison: the dt990 pro only has 3,5 N.

If my memory serves right, beyerdynamic changed measurement method when they released DT1770/1990PRO. I've read a guy from beyerdynamic explained on the 1770 thread that DT770PRO(3.5N/old measurement) and DT1770PRO(7.2N/new measurement) have almost the same clamping force, FYI.

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #314 of 898
If my memory serves right, beyerdynamic changed measurement method when they released DT1770/1990PRO. I've read a guy from beyerdynamic explained on the 1770 thread that DT770PRO(3.5N/old measurement) and DT1770PRO(7.2N/new measurement) have almost the same clamping force, FYI.

That reflects my impression DT770 vs. DT700… to me the latter clamps less, and a different measurement method would bring the numbers in line with my experience

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #315 of 898
9A06B1FE-93D1-4EB2-9925-81180E433DF5.jpeg
It’s about time I ate my own words and sang this headphone’s praises.
I though I would hate this can…but I really don’t. I thought it’d be a bright and aggressive take-no-prisoners type of Beyer…but it really isn’t.
Damn…I can’t actually remember the last time I tried on an (semi) openback from Beyer that didn’t try to drill out my earcanals. Nahh this is genuinely a contender for peeps like me who are not fan of the classic Mount Beyer.

The 900 sounds like a linear headphone with just a tad of added energy to the bass and low mids..which in effect gives off this meaty and impactful sense to the overall presentation. It’s not a great big boost or anything of the sort that will render the headphone warm, nope, it merely injects dynamics into the sound..as well as a bass to die for👌
Mids are classic Beyer, neutral and realistic - just beautiful.
The treble? Certainly not as natural and smooth as my Sennheisers but more importantly, it’s not a +15 dB mountain of pain. It feels much smaller and not at all intrusive.

The one thing about this can that gave me pause was actually the clamping force right out of the gate…which was strong…but luckily it has subsided with usage and is now just perfect for me.
What more? You can drive it with a wet stick. No power amp needed. It’s actually a bit of a pain hooking up to my main amp as I am fiddling around in low gain at around 9 o clock on the volumepot.
Outside of those two small grievances, Beyer actually produced a home-run here. I am still wildly surprised by how much I am loving this thing. It’s like a DT1990 that doesn’t need EQ or a pad swap..or an upgraded DT880 with lowered treble and a bass that reaches all the way down into the depths of Mordor. Also smacks you upside your head from time to time when the music calls for it.
A big recommendation on my behalf. Fantastic work Beyer👌

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back