New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Nov 5, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #271 of 898
The 700 Pro X looks insanely comfortable though, I think it's a big part of their appeal. But also I realize how good something looks isn't necessarily the right indicator for how good something actually is. Yeah the reduction in size on the pads for instance you can't really tell from pictures, only in direct comparison.

IDK I just keep wondering for whom these headphones are intended haha. I think to myself just put an EQ to your 770's lol. They sound so good.

Nov 6, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #272 of 898
The 700 Pro X looks insanely comfortable though, I think it's a big part of their appeal. But also I realize how good something looks isn't necessarily the right indicator for how good something actually is. Yeah the reduction in size on the pads for instance you can't really tell from pictures, only in direct comparison.

IDK I just keep wondering for whom these headphones are intended haha. I think to myself just put an EQ to your 770's lol. They sound so good.
Another thing that reallllly bugs me...

The headband makes a hotspot on the top of my head, if it had a cutout like the HD650, then there would be no problem. Don't ask my why I don't have the same problem with the 770.

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #273 of 898
Also no one seems to mention the fit of the 700/900 pro x. Seems the pad inner diameter is smaller, so they're sitting mostly ontop of your ears instead of how the 990 etc fit was, where you could mostly cover around your ears unless you had huge wings.

Ofcourse depends on ear size but given my experience with the 990, these are nowhere near as comfortable. I returned mine due to a faulty cable and have been enjoying the 560s, which seems more detailed with sparkle but I miss the impact of the 900 pro x

I don't measure much difference (6cm for the DT770 at 5mm depth, 5,7cm for the DT700), but the shape is very different: while the pad walls are straight down for the DT770, the diameter of the DT770 pads gets much narrower towards the driver. Both are comfortable for me, but the DT700 is *much* better in that regard: the pads are much softer, and together with a bit less clamping force they sit equally secure (larger surface touching my head) but much more comfortable. And no, they are not on-ear for me, not even partially. The pads of the Austrian Audio Hi-X55 offer more room though.

E92610CF-21D8-4298-95F3-7467FF6064A9.jpegEE905581-E7A1-4706-8BF9-8E710BC3EA96.jpeg

They not only look comfortable, but they actually are ear pillows. But comfort is that one aspect thats most personal, so I guess you'll have to try yourself.

Another thing that reallllly bugs me...

The headband makes a hotspot on the top of my head, if it had a cutout like the HD650, then there would be no problem. Don't ask my why I don't have the same problem with the 770.

While fortunately I don't have that hotspot, a cutout would have been a good idea. Inspecting my DT700 I noticed that the headband padding can be exchanged quite easily, it just snaps on... so I guess in the future there'll be spare parts available.
CC3CB0FC-56E0-480E-81F5-DEE7BFDD4FF3.jpeg

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #274 of 898
I don't measure much difference (6cm for the DT770 at 5mm depth, 5,7cm for the DT700), but the shape is very different: while the pad walls are straight down for the DT770, the diameter of the DT770 pads gets much narrower towards the driver. Both are comfortable for me, but the DT700 is *much* better in that regard: the pads are much softer, and together with a bit less clamping force they sit equally secure (larger surface touching my head) but much more comfortable. And no, they are not on-ear for me, not even partially. The pads of the Austrian Audio Hi-X55 offer more room though.

E92610CF-21D8-4298-95F3-7467FF6064A9.jpegEE905581-E7A1-4706-8BF9-8E710BC3EA96.jpeg

They not only look comfortable, but they actually are ear pillows. But comfort is that one aspect thats most personal, so I guess you'll have to try yourself.

While fortunately I don't have that hotspot, a cutout would have been a good idea. Inspecting my DT700 I noticed that the headband padding can be exchanged quite easily, it just snaps on... so I guess in the future there'll be spare parts available.
CC3CB0FC-56E0-480E-81F5-DEE7BFDD4FF3.jpeg
Hump... My earflips sit behind the velvet material on the DT770, and because they are cone shaped, there is in fact more space for my flappy ears. Where's on the 700, I can feel the driver with my eartips, - but again everyone's ears are different.

Nov 6, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #275 of 898
Both are comfortable for me, but the DT700 is *much* better in that regard: the pads are much softer, and together with a bit less clamping force they sit equally secure (larger surface touching my head) but much more comfortable.

The memory foam seems thicker, denser in the DT 700.

Memory foam like that in Dekoni pads tends to soften up a bit over time. If the same thing happens with the DT 700 pads, that's probably a good thing in comparison. Given how quickly the DT 770 pads tend to flatten out. Means the pads could last a lot longer.

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #277 of 898
So... this might be a stupid question at this point, but how would you guys compare DT 900 Pro X to Amiron Home?
There are no stupid questions. The Amiron home is a much warmer headphone, much more V shaped with slightly reassessed mids, and a 8k peak, that you will love, or it will make your ears bleed :)

It's a headphone that tries to target the diffusion field target curve. The DF curve can make music sound extremely life-like, but on badly mixed songs,... well,... not so much (sibilance and bleeding ears)

DT900 tries to hit the Harmon curve.

Think of it this way, when you are mixing, if a mix sounds good in a DT900, then it will likely sound good everywhere and every everything will be balanced, nomatter where your song is played. Nothing will be overemphasized or anything.

The Amiron, well,.. I would not mix in that :) it's job is something else. Like making music come alive.

Try listening to Katie Melua - A love like that with one pair, on a Amiron, and you will think it's the best headphone every.

Now listen to "crawling up a hill" - again Katie Melua, and you will hate the Amiron and love the DT900.

Short version:
DT900 will make almost most sounds sound good.
Amiron will make some songs sound great, and others like crap :)

Hope that answers your question.

Ps, that's why some of us have more then one headphone...

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #278 of 898
Try listening to Katie Melua - A love like that with one pair, on a Amiron, and you will think it's the best headphone every.

Now listen to "crawling up a hill" - again Katie Melua, and you will hate the Amiron and love the DT900.
Actually I own neither Amiron or DT 900 Pro X. I had to give up my Sundara since they made my neck uncomfortable despite their moderate weight, and I'm looking for my next pair.
I listened to the two songs you listed with my Grado SR80e, and I think I immediately understood what you meant. The brass in Crawling Up A Hill would hit right in the Beyer's peak, wouldn't it? And based on what I've gathered so far, I guess DT 990 Pro would make it even worse?

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #279 of 898
The brass in Crawling Up A Hill would hit right in the Beyer's peak, wouldn't it? And based on what I've gathered so far, I guess DT 990 Pro would make it even worse?
Yep... That's about it :)

Nov 7, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #281 of 898
Well you know what they say, it takes longer for one to find the right headphones than for Frodo to ditch that ring.
I found them finally.
Sennheiser IE900

Nov 9, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #282 of 898
Tip:
If you find these Senn + Beyer Frankenstein's to be honky or lacking in clarity just swap the foam discs.
Leaving the jokes asides,
These are some great headphones.

I'm liking them a lot, with the stock filters or 1990's filters.
Great tuning overall!

Too bad I don't have the 1990's anymore to try them with the 900's filters.

For me these are the budget king.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #283 of 898
Hi I am a newbie to full size headphone, and thinking to grab a pair of 900 pro x. Any owners of dt 1990 pro can share which pair is better in terms of treble. I love the punch feeling of drum yet mids and highs cannot be too far away.

Nov 13, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #284 of 898
Hi I am a newbie to full size headphone, and thinking to grab a pair of 900 pro x. Any owners of dt 1990 pro can share which pair is better in terms of treble. I love the punch feeling of drum yet mids and highs cannot be too far away.
The chance of finding a DT1990 owner that also has the DT900 are pretty slim, as the DT900 would for most be a downgrade. As for treble, - most Beye headphones target the diffuse field target curve, so listening to any older DT model will give you a good idea how the DT1990 sounds when it comes to treble.

Anyway, if you really like drums, and you what that "3D" from Rides and Hi-hats, then also remember to try a pair of Grados.

And before anyone starts yelling about how crappy the frequency curve, build and so on is... We all know. All I'm saying is, that because the grado has so many peaks in the treble, then it's good if you like drums.

Watch this,- the title is misleading -

Anyway, best of luck on your hunt.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #285 of 898
Hello,

I have tried both of the 1990 and currently the DT900. Atleast for me the DT900 are way more enjoyable on the ears than the 1990. The latter had great bass and imaging but the treble was just unbearable. I could not find any song where the treble became painful on the 900s. Also the bass on the 900s is good and punchy. For me, the 900s are the best sounding Beyers I have tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back