New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Oct 19, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #167 of 898
Hey guys, so I've been using DT770s to game for a while now and I've been wanting to get a replacement and pass these down to my brother.

I was gonna go for the MMX 300 or Tygr 300R but then I saw this new range. I know what the 700 Pro X might sound like, but the 900 Pro X caught my attention and I was wondering how much bass am I losing with the open backs?
Like I play a lot of Apex Legends so I can imagine how nice they may be, but then I also play some Far Cry 6 for example and wanna hear the blasts and explosives bass punch. Doesnt need to be ear rumbling like the 770s but is it there?

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #168 of 898
Hey guys, so I've been using DT770s to game for a while now and I've been wanting to get a replacement and pass these down to my brother.

I was gonna go for the MMX 300 or Tygr 300R but then I saw this new range. I know what the 700 Pro X might sound like, but the 900 Pro X caught my attention and I was wondering how much bass am I losing with the open backs?
Like I play a lot of Apex Legends so I can imagine how nice they may be, but then I also play some Far Cry 6 for example and wanna hear the blasts and explosives bass punch. Doesnt need to be ear rumbling like the 770s but is it there?

Maybe this user review at Reddit will help

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/q40hvx/beyerdynamic_dt_900_pro_x_impressions/

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #169 of 898

I don't know about the 900 but I own both the 770's and 990's and the 990's definitely have a serious punch and excellent subbass. I like to EQ to increase their subbass a bit because it sounds really great, but I don't feel it's a necessity. From what I read the 900's have at least as much bass as the 990's, so you should be good. I'd say go for it :smile_phones:. You could also save some money and just go for the 990's.

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #170 of 898

I started playing Apex Legends as my main since season 4, I love this game! The DT 990 Pro gives you a great rumble down low. As I mainly play at night I'll be looking to grab the 700 Pro X for isolation! From what the other members are reporting, these are largely the same sound signature but now with a 48 Ohm impedance. Thus not needing too much power to drive these babies! If you already have the 770 Pro then maybe you could go for the 900 Pro X which is similar to the MMX 300 or Tygr and call it a day!

Side note: If you're competitive like me, then you'll also notice Apex Legends sound engine is broken aF for the last few seasons! Still comes down your aim and positioning! Season 11 + New map looks to be cool but be prepared for the same broken servers and bugs that Respawn seem to do at every launch! :grinning:

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #171 of 898

I've got the 770 Pro (80 ohm), 990 Pro (250 and 600 ohm) and the new 900 Pro X. Compared to the 770, the 990 bass is reduced but there is still a bass boost and more so than most other open back 'audiophile' type headphones. In terms of the general sense of how 'bassy' the 900 Pro X sounds, without concentrating too much, I'd say it is broadly the same as the 990 Pro. As soon as you do start actively listening hen it is clear that the 900 Pro X is more defined/tighter in that region and it also extends deeper, so you get sub bass too. I'd got so used to my 990's that hearing the bass go so low was quite a a surprise. Not that the 990's are especially bad in that area, in fact they are like most other open backs. The 900 Pro X also isolate better than the 990 Pro, which makes me think that they are heading towards a semi-open design, which would also explain how they avoid as much low frequency roll-off.

In other ways, to me, the 900 Pro X differs from that generally V shaped signature that the 770 and 990 share. The mids are more projected and the high frequencies have definitely been rolled-off. Personally I like less of a treble roll-off and enjoy the V shaped sound, but I am confident that many will consider the 900's to be more accurate in those areas, whilst also enjoying the presence of some sub bass.

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #172 of 898
I don't know about the 900 but I own both the 770's and 990's and the 990's definitely have a serious punch and excellent subbass. I like to EQ to increase their subbass a bit because it sounds really great, but I don't feel it's a necessity. From what I read the 900's have at least as much bass as the 990's, so you should be good. I'd say go for it :smile_phones:. You could also save some money and just go for the 990's.
Thats awesome to hear, and yeah why not try, Im sure they'll sound amazing! Thank you for the reply

I started playing Apex Legends as my main since season 4, I love this game! The DT 990 Pro gives you a great rumble down low. As I mainly play at night I'll be looking to grab the 700 Pro X for isolation! From what the other members are reporting, these are largely the same sound signature but now with a 48 Ohm impedance. Thus not needing too much power to drive these babies! If you already have the 770 Pro then maybe you could go for the 900 Pro X which is similar to the MMX 300 or Tygr and call it a day!

Side note: If you're competitive like me, then you'll also notice Apex Legends sound engine is broken aF for the last few seasons! Still comes down your aim and positioning! Season 11 + New map looks to be cool but be prepared for the same broken servers and bugs that Respawn seem to do at every launch! :grinning:
I thought about isolation too but I game in my own room so it shouldnt be too much of a problem!
Apex got me hooked from season two, was a competitive PUBG player till I found it, and yes while the sound is buggy from game to game, its still better than a lot of other FPS (cough cough Warzone). And yes Apex servers are the bane of my existence, even worse so for someone playing out of Africa( 220ms ping to closest server!)

I've got the 770 Pro (80 ohm), 990 Pro (250 and 600 ohm) and the new 900 Pro X. Compared to the 770, the 990 bass is reduced but there is still a bass boost and more so than most other open back 'audiophile' type headphones. In terms of the general sense of how 'bassy' the 900 Pro X sounds, without concentrating too much, I'd say it is broadly the same as the 990 Pro. As soon as you do start actively listening hen it is clear that the 900 Pro X is more defined/tighter in that region and it also extends deeper, so you get sub bass too. I'd got so used to my 990's that hearing the bass go so low was quite a a surprise. Not that the 990's are especially bad in that area, in fact they are like most other open backs. The 900 Pro X also isolate better than the 990 Pro, which makes me think that they are heading towards a semi-open design, which would also explain how they avoid as much low frequency roll-off.

In other ways, to me, the 900 Pro X differs from that generally V shaped signature that the 770 and 990 share. The mids are more projected and the high frequencies have definitely been rolled-off. Personally I like less of a treble roll-off and enjoy the V shaped sound, but I am confident that many will consider the 900's to be more accurate in those areas, whilst also enjoying the presence of some sub bass.
Thank you so much for that detailed response, much appreciated towards my buying decision!!!

Oct 21, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #174 of 898
Guys someone told me I should really look into the Tygr 300R if I'm looking at a set of DT 900 Pro X. What's your take on this?

Also what would be a good DAC in the iFi Zen DAC V2 budget? Should I go with it, get the Fiio K5 or the Schiit Stack? And other solid options welcome please

Oct 21, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #176 of 898
would be nice to hear more impressions on DT 900 vs DT 1990

btw DT 1990 vents look different than one could think

BEYERDYNAMIC DT 1990.png

Oct 22, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #178 of 898
I was waiting on a frequency response for these new Beyers, thanks👍

The DT900 genuinely looks like a combination of the DT990 and the DT1990, still with the infamous mount Beyer treble. It’s a little difficult to judge by the measurement alone, but looking at the frequency response for the DT1990 made on the same rig (presumably), it’s obvious we’re witnessing the same treble behaviour.
Dammit…

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #179 of 898

The DT900 genuinely looks like a combination of the DT990 and the DT1990, still with the infamous mount Beyer treble. It’s a little difficult to judge by the measurement alone, but looking at the frequency response for the DT1990 made on the same rig (presumably), it’s obvious we’re witnessing the same treble behaviour.
Dammit…
Im cursed because I hear Mount Beyer every moment of every day. My tinnitus tone is located at 10,200 hertz. Fortunately the volume is very low. Who knows, maybe because of this, having one of these headphones might be a good thing for me. 🤔

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #180 of 898

Dammit…
Honestly, I've not heard a DT1990, but the DT990 (600 and 250 ohm) are my regular drivers and the DT900 Pro X has significantly less treble, to the point where I would even EQ it up a tad. To me, the tonality is quite different, as the DT900 does not have the same V shaped sound and the mids are much more forward than the DT990. I've flicked between a bunch of my headphones recently and I'd say that he DT900 is closer to my K371's in treble and midrange than to to the DT990's. I still prefer my DT990's, but I'm sure many will prefer the DT900's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back