New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Oct 15, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #151 of 898
DT900 Pro X is in.

From my listening impressions it seems as if the DT900 Pro X is a more laid back DT 990 Pro 250ohm, with less of a V shaped response.

The highs in the 6-8k region seem to be tamed down a little bit, (not a lot) to a more comfortable level for most folks. - Maybe 1-3db down vs the DT 990 Pro?

The overall sound signature is less of a V shape like the DT990 Pro 250ohm. I noticed if I EQ the low-mids down in the 300-800hz range the headphone starts to sound similar to the DT990 Pro 250ohm, except with a little less 8k ear pain as I said above. So you can expect mids that are a little more flattened.

Bass texture is much improved over the older DT990 models, certainly digs deeper, less distortion. - Yes it still has that dynamic punch to it.

Imaging seems to be a little odd, there seems to be a small gap of sound that is missing. It's almost like trying to put two of the same poles on a magnet together. - The imaging just can't quite connect, but it is close.

Sound stage is on par with the DT 990 Pro 250ohm, not the widest you can find, but wide enough.

The clamp is a bit tight on these, I anticipate when pads break-in that will be less of an issue.

I have the headphones almost at the largest head settings, those of you with giant heads might have issues. - My head is medium/large sized

Weight is definitely not an issue, fairly light still, not LCD-4 weight.

These headphones feel more like a semi-open back, than fully open. There is a fair bit of isolation to outside noise. Those of you who have tried the DC Aeon Open can expect those levels of isolation.

You guys can come to your own conclusions, these are just some of my thoughts after listening. Cheers! :beerchug:

Oct 16, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #154 of 898
DT900 Pro X is in.

From my listening impressions it seems as if the DT900 Pro X is a more laid back DT 990 Pro 250ohm, with less of a V shaped response.

The highs in the 6-8k region seem to be tamed down a little bit, (not a lot) to a more comfortable level for most folks. - Maybe 1-3db down vs the DT 990 Pro?

The overall sound signature is less of a V shape like the DT990 Pro 250ohm. I noticed if I EQ the low-mids down in the 300-800hz range the headphone starts to sound similar to the DT990 Pro 250ohm, except with a little less 8k ear pain as I said above. So you can expect mids that are a little more flattened.

Bass texture is much improved over the older DT990 models, certainly digs deeper, less distortion. - Yes it still has that dynamic punch to it.

Imaging seems to be a little odd, there seems to be a small gap of sound that is missing. It's almost like trying to put two of the same poles on a magnet together. - The imaging just can't quite connect, but it is close.

Sound stage is on par with the DT 990 Pro 250ohm, not the widest you can find, but wide enough.

The clamp is a bit tight on these, I anticipate when pads break-in that will be less of an issue.

I have the headphones almost at the largest head settings, those of you with giant heads might have issues. - My head is medium/large sized

Weight is definitely not an issue, fairly light still, not LCD-4 weight.

These headphones feel more like a semi-open back, than fully open. There is a fair bit of isolation to outside noise. Those of you who have tried the DC Aeon Open can expect those levels of isolation.

You guys can come to your own conclusions, these are just some of my thoughts after listening. Cheers! :beerchug:
I've done some more listening and our observations match very closely. Whereas previously I stopped at just saying that the amount of bass was about the same, I can now add that it seems a little more defined than the 990 Pro (both 250 and 600ohm variants). I definitely agree about being less V shaped, too, though I did get the impression that it is more the higher mids that are raised in comparison to the 990 Pro. Yes, treble definitely reduced, but I can't correlate by how much I perceive to a db figure, So, I'd like to play around with some EQ, like you did, as that will help me hone in on the differences as I perceive them. However, the last time I messed with EQ I was using Windows and APO/Peace, but have my DAC and amp hooked up to a Mac now so will need to look for an equivalent.

Oct 16, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #155 of 898
This is my main issue with my DT770's as well. Compared to my Fidelios they lack that grunt and bite in the midrange that makes guitars and vocals an enjoyable listen. They are usually slightly reserved, smooth and clean sounding absolutely and I don't find objective fault here, but it doesn't really "kick ass". I understand this is a really personal thing. But for instance the Alice in Chains unplugged set, on the Fidelios it arrests me the moment Nutshell kicks off. The acoustic guitar is just so huge and vibrant sounding. And then Layne starts singing and I just wanna turn it up cause his voice is that gripping. On the 770's I never found the same engagement sadly, despite many attempts at EQ and even using toilet paper.

I was hoping the 700's would "solve" some of this since I desperately need closed cans and there are a LOT of times where the 770's actually sound great, but looks like I'll have to keep searching, at least it's not worth giving up my 770's for the 700's then. Thank you for your impressions, it's interesting to me that you raise the exact same issue I experience.
You mean the Fidelio X2HRs? If so, those are already pretty thin sounding in the mids, imho. I think I'll have to pass on the DT700's....

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #156 of 898
I got the 900 Pro X a couple of days ago. IMO this thing has an impressive Subbass for an open Headphone but its definately more half-open then fully open. There is some Hardness to the mids like @ 2,5k. Sound a bit like some AKG Headphones. I would prefer it to be 2,3 dB lower to follow the line shown in these measurements (not a fan of this websites measurements). Also 1,5k is a little weak. I EQ this too for 1 dB or 2. The Measurements are on a 10dB Scale so everything looks kinda flat. The 4k dip is audible of course.

The highs are interesting. I think highs are very individual because of HRTF, earcanal-resonances and stuff. In these regions Headphones can measure different on different Heads. The little 6k Peak is more at 5k in my ears. I also dont hear that extreme 10k Peak... On the DT990Edt there is too much treble-energy for me. The 900Xs Treble is ok for me.

I dont like the fit&comfort but thats subjective as well. It wears nothing like the older models...

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #157 of 898
There is some Hardness to the mids like @ 2,5k. Sound a bit like some AKG Headphones.
Yes, I only have one pair of AKG headphones, the K371's, but for me they share this same kind of hardness, which is making some of what I used to enjoy listening to less enjoyable/comfortable now.

Oh, and try adjusting these back and forth on your head....expect this will vary depending on head/ear anatomy, but this does alter the tonal balance quite a bit more for me than say with the 990 Pro. For me, the mix veers more towards top end (and possibly the mids ease off a tad) as I move them a bit further back....and I don't mean until they feel they are falling off or crushing against the ears...all within a normal range where they might end up if you just put them on without adjusting.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #159 of 898
Oct 17, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #160 of 898
The TYGR 300 R has the most correct tonality in current's Beyerdynamic line-up (somewhat adhered to Harman/Diffuse Field) and it's very well praised over the community because of that.

I don't know why manufacturers refuse statistic preference studies that actually PROVE what's most people like, particularly when it comes to headphones targeted for the professional market.

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #161 of 898
The more i listen to the 700, the more i realize this is a no nonsense product, high standard professional tool that is built to last and reveal everything you need to hear cleanly yet its also fun to listen to thanks to fast deep bass and snappy balanced presentation, clean is the word though. Its a bargain for the price, been comparing to TH900 2s, they are better in every respect, but considering price and comfort the dt700 are a keeper

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #162 of 898
The more i listen to the 700, the more i realize this is a no nonsense product, high standard professional tool that is built to last and reveal everything you need to hear cleanly yet its also fun to listen to thanks to fast deep bass and snappy balanced presentation, clean is the word though. Its a bargain for the price, been comparing to TH900 2s, they are better in every respect, but considering price and comfort the dt700 are a keeper
I completely agree with your sentiment. You can dissect songs precisely and the added isolation, both inward and outward, is a nice addition to that.

Snappy is very accurate in regards to the DT 700. The attack and initial impact of the sound is really fast.

These are a great tool both for monitoring and listening to music.

They have a similar ability to expose badly recorded/mixed/mastered songs compared to the HD560S, which can be both a blessing and a curse.

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #163 of 898

I got a chance to demo the DT700 this weekend for about 20 minutes. I was very impressed with the quality and the amount of the bass.

I much prefer them to the Meze 99 Noir. Which I found to be overly warm and too bassy, where the extra bass and warmth tends to intrude on everything. That was not the case with the DT 700.

Oct 19, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #165 of 898
The TYGR 300 R has the most correct tonality in current's Beyerdynamic line-up (somewhat adhered to Harman/Diffuse Field) and it's very well praised over the community because of that.

I don't know why manufacturers refuse statistic preference studies that actually PROVE what's most people like, particularly when it comes to headphones targeted for the professional market.
You answered your own question. Also clearly not a professional either. When you record music you want boring revealing balance to mix and master with. When gaming or music listening most people have a preference for fun sounding balanced headphones the harman curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back