New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Apr 27, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #616 of 896
Agree, the SRH1540 are fantastic. I wouldn't go as far as to say they're end-game for me (never say never and all that...) but I feel no need to keep looking at other closed-backs for now.

I've actually just bought the DT900 Pro X as an open-back 'companion' set for my SRH1540. The SRH1840 were an obvious choice but just too pricy. So far, can't say I feel I'm missing out and very happy with the DT900.

Listening to 'Nuyorican Soul' on them right now and they're sounding great.
After using my 1540 for awhile now decided to wait till any "sale" price on 1840 to replace my DT990 PRO. Nevertheless, still think that both 770 and 990 are simply great for the price, can't say the same about 700 PRO X because of comfort issues I had with them.

Apr 28, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #619 of 896
UR welcome, Shure SHR1540 all the way, compared directly and pretty Shure there is no better closed backs under 1k IMO.
No, sir. I happen to have the SRH1540 too. Next week I have to go to the office, and I'll bring them home to make a comparison. I haven't used them much since I work mostly from home. I keep the DT700 home and the 1540 I left them at the office.
You may like their tonality more than the DT700 (not me, I sure prefer the DT700's tonality), even their comfort, but I sure don't see the 1540 as objectively better in anything other than detail.
And materials, that's true. But that should be expected, as they're twice the price of the DT700.
But I don't know that the use of more expensive materials in the 1540 makes them more durable.
I definitely prefer the tonality of the DT700, and it's more spacious too. As for comfort, it's true that the 1540 are lighter and I like their headband more.
So, no, I wouldn't call a twice as expensive headphone with just a little more detail, comfort (very subjective) and materials a better one.
I will comment again once I bring the 1540 back home.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #620 of 896
No, sir. I happen to have the SRH1540 too. Next week I have to go to the office, and I'll bring them home to make a comparison. I haven't used them much since I work mostly from home. I keep the DT700 home and the 1540 I left them at the office.
You may like their tonality more than the DT700 (not me, I sure prefer the DT700's tonality), even their comfort, but I sure don't see the 1540 as objectively better in anything other than detail.
And materials, that's true. But that should be expected, as they're twice the price of the DT700.
But I don't know that the use of more expensive materials in the 1540 makes them more durable.
I definitely prefer the tonality of the DT700, and it's more spacious too. As for comfort, it's true that the 1540 are lighter and I like their headband more.
So, no, I wouldn't call a twice as expensive headphone with just a little more detail, comfort (very subjective) and materials a better one.
I will comment again once I bring the 1540 back home.
You're lucky one if you found 700 Pro X better, no need to pay more, right?

My direct comparison:
700 Pro X instrument separation is worse, much heavier, stupidly tight clamp causing headache in my case after only after an hour, small ear cups, tiny sound stage, lack in the detail/resolution.
1540 sounds almost the same wide as open back headphones, awesome detail/resolution for any instrument. I'm not here to fight till the death in order to prove that my choice is the best choice and others do not understand crap, I'm here to provide an opinion for others to help them in their decision making process.
But, still want to highlight one point: if someone can't hear difference doesn't mean there is no difference, it can be just limitation of person who's doing comparison, always trust your ears and choose something that you like, not someone.

Apr 28, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #621 of 896

My direct comparison:
700 Pro X instrument separation is worse, much heavier, stupidly tight clamp causing headache in my case after only after an hour, small ear cups, tiny sound stage, lack in the detail/resolution.
1540 sounds almost the same wide as open back headphones, awesome detail/resolution for any instrument. I'm not here to fight till the death in order to prove that my choice is the best choice and others do not understand crap, I'm here to provide an opinion for others to help them in their decision making process.
But, still want to highlight one point: if someone can't hear difference doesn't mean there is no difference, it can be just limitation of person who's doing comparison, always trust your ears and choose something that you like, not someone.
My guess is everyone here is providing opinions. I could be wrong...
First, about being a lucky one. Maybe I would've been a lucky one if I didn't already have the 1540, like I said.
Second, I didn't say the DT700 is better than the 1540. I just said I don't think the 1540 is better considering level of detail, durability, tonality (I insist on this a lot) AND price of the 1540.
I never said I didn't hear differences. I actually said detail is better in the 1540. Even when the DT700 is more spacious (to me, since I found soundstage perception is not as objective as I'd like it to be), detail isn't up to the 1540 level. There's better separation in the 1540, that's true. Not a lot better, though. Slightly so.
My opinion is you always get what you pay for. But in the 1540 vs DT700, a lot of the price you pay for in the 1540 goes to materials. I don't find the tuning superior nor the comfort in the DT700 bothers me at all. I can wear them (and often with glasses) for hours without a problem.
If both of them cost the same, I'd agree, the 1540 has some things that would tip the balance in its favour. But at twice the price, I don't consider it better.
To each his own, of course.
Have a nice day!

Apr 28, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #622 of 896
My guess is everyone here is providing opinions. I could be wrong...
First, about being a lucky one. Maybe I would've been a lucky one if I didn't already have the 1540, like I said.
Second, I didn't say the DT700 is better than the 1540. I just said I don't think the 1540 is better considering level of detail, durability, tonality (I insist on this a lot) AND price of the 1540.
I never said I didn't hear differences. I actually said detail is better in the 1540. Even when the DT700 is more spacious (to me, since I found soundstage perception is not as objective as I'd like it to be), detail isn't up to the 1540 level. There's better separation in the 1540, that's true. Not a lot better, though. Slightly so.
My opinion is you always get what you pay for. But in the 1540 vs DT700, a lot of the price you pay for in the 1540 goes to materials. I don't find the tuning superior nor the comfort in the DT700 bothers me at all. I can wear them (and often with glasses) for hours without a problem.
If both of them cost the same, I'd agree, the 1540 has some things that would tip the balance in its favour. But at twice the price, I don't consider it better.
To each his own, of course.
Have a nice day!
Perception of space, soundstage, imaging, etc. can vary a lot due to numerous factors. One of these is physiological differences (ear/ear canal shape, sensitivities to frequencies, etc.). Another is system
synergy. I found perceptions and impressions of imaging, sense of space, soundstage, etc. can vary a lot person to person. There is usually a general trend of soundstage, imaging, etc. on a headphone but there are times you don’t experience these things quite the same as the general consensus. Detail perception is not even fully consistent imho. This is why finding reviewers with similar perceptions on headphones (similar gear helps too) helps a lot in making decisions.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #624 of 896
Guys, anybody tried making these balanced?
No, as far as I know. What for? They are very efficient anyway...
You might get lucky replacing the mini-xlr connector and changing the inner driver connections accordingly.

Apr 29, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #625 of 896
Guys, anybody tried making these balanced?
I haven't seen any yet. IMO it's not worth the hassle, as you'll have to open the cups and replace the socket, and rewire to the driver. Given how efficient they are, not sure what the benefit would be, unless you're trying to use them with a DAP that's balanced out only.

May 1, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #627 of 896
In this weekend's review we check out the DT 900 Pro X on Headfonia. We're giving it our Recommended Buy award!

https://www.headfonia.com/beyerdynamic-dt-900-pro-x-review/

chrome_2022-05-01_10-46-36.png

May 3, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #628 of 896

My direct comparison:
So today I picked up the 1540 and I've been listening to them side by side with the DT700.
Whichever I try first, when I change, I immediately perceive a smaller, more compressed soundstage. It doesn't matter the order.
After a while, both sound spacious, but the added clarity in the treble in the DT700 makes it feel more open. Sense of depth of that stage, is better in the 1540. No doubt.
The difference in comfort is substantial. I have to admit that's a big win for the 1540. More so than I remembered.
There is definitely more detail in the 1540. I already knew it, but I had been more used to the DT700 than the 1540, which I rarely used anymore. The difference is subtle, but enough to make it clear it's a better headphone.
I still believe the DT700 at half the price is the winner. It feels more rugged, it isolates more and there's more punchiness to the sound, even though sometimes it sounds more congested than the 1540.
Anyway, I wouldn't call the DT700 the best under 500 euros anymore. I eat those words.

IMG_8353.jpg

May 3, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #629 of 896
So today I picked up the 1540 and I've been listening to them side by side with the DT700.
Whichever I try first, when I change, I immediately perceive a smaller, more compressed soundstage. It doesn't matter the order.
After a while, both sound spacious, but the added clarity in the treble in the DT700 makes it feel more open. Sense of depth of that stage, is better in the 1540. No doubt.
The difference in comfort is substantial. I have to admit that's a big win for the 1540. More so than I remembered.
There is definitely more detail in the 1540. I already knew it, but I had been more used to the DT700 than the 1540, which I rarely used anymore. The difference is subtle, but enough to make it clear it's a better headphone.
I still believe the DT700 at half the price is the winner. It feels more rugged, it isolates more and there's more punchiness to the sound, even though sometimes it sounds more congested than the 1540.
Anyway, I wouldn't call the DT700 the best under 500 euros anymore. I eat those words.

What I'm going to add is not anyhow related to direct comparison, but to the general thoughts around market value of the things. Sometimes we have to pay even more than 2 times just to have little more/better here and there, not because added value is actually cost that big, but because of the market. It is related not only to headphones, but to everything. And it is up to you what to choose - cheaper and better price/value or top notch with awful value.
And when it comes to headphones things are even more complicated, mix here your music preference, style, anatomical differences and so on.
Peace.

May 3, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #630 of 896
What I'm going to add is not anyhow related to direct comparison, but to the general thoughts around market value of the things. Sometimes we have to pay even more than 2 times just to have little more/better here and there, not because added value is actually cost that big, but because of the market. It is related not only to headphones, but to everything. And it is up to you what to choose - cheaper and better price/value or top notch with awful value.
And when it comes to headphones things are even more complicated, mix here your music preference, style, anatomical differences and so on.
Peace.
Well, I think everybody knows that. You know, law of diminishing returns and all. For every piece of audio gear, for sure.
At the price bracket these two headphones are, you already find it impossible to get twice the quality by paying twice the price.
Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back