New Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm has slight distortion
Aug 27, 2014 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Moustached Duck

New Head-Fier
I just got a new pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm, and compared to my old earpods they're crazy good! I have one problem with them though, sometimes they make this kind of scratching eletronic noise, i'm not sure if distortion is the right term, but the best way i can describe it would be that it's similar to the noise that can be produced by removing a headphone cable, twisting it around, plugging a cable into a guitar amp while it's on, or you know kind of like the "KZZZ" you hear right before the hbo logo appears except more electronic, anyway this sound appears useally in small "pops" during a song, not very loud but just loud enough that it's noticeable.

In most songs it's either not there i the music is loud enough to overpower it (again it is not loud at all, but enough to be annoying when it appears),and on most songs it is only a slight annoyance, but on some songs it is distracting enough to ruin the song, like on Action Bronson's Easy Rider, or Fu Manchu's Godzilla - during the guitar parts there is a very noticeable "SCHZZ" in the background, an example of it only being slightly noticeable would be The War on Drugs' Lost in the Dream. 

The sound only appears in certain songs, and it is always during the same parts.

I listen to music with the 990's cable plugged straight into my laptop without and amp, i use Spotify, and i have set it's options to the high quality option, and turned off "same volume for all songs." At first i thought it could be the watermark that is supposed to be in some Spotify songs, but i listened to the clips from http://www.mattmontag.com/music/universals-audible-watermark, and could not hear a diffrence, except the distortion was in the background of those aswell.

I relly hope one of you headphone savvy people has some insight on this.

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 8
Have you checked for rogue loose hairs?
If it's clean, sounds like you could have a faulty set.

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 8
  It just sounds like you have a crappy soundcard. Get a DAC.

I disagree.
I've never heard anything like this from cheap soundcards or on-board (motherboard) soundcards. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 8
  Didn't find any loose hairs, so i'll have to send these back.

Thanks for the help!

happened to me as well with a pair of t51p, a replacement fixed the issue

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 8
Was your issue fixed after replacement?
My brand new 990 250 Ohm is also exhibiting the same pops.
Not sure whether it's in the tracks or it's because they're underamped (I use Fiio A5 at full volume, low gain for moderately loud track)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back