NEW BEYER REFRESH TOO! 990, 880, 770!
Nov 23, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #92 of 181
right when i was interested in the "darth beyer" dt770/80s, here comes another..

i guess i have to wait until someone gets one of these 32ohm dt770s and see how they sound ... and maybe even wait until someome actually gets one of theirs "darth beyered" haha

Dec 12, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #95 of 181
I don't understand this idea of a product line "refresh." Suppose Sennheiser decided they weren't happy with their product lineup, so they renamed the HD600 "HD650" and HD650 named to "HD700." Now HD700 is their new top end (with choice of grille color), so they decide to rename HD580=HD600. Wow, wouldn't we have fun deciphering all this new stuff (not)...
rolleyes.gif

This must be in response to competition from several other brands releasing new headphones. IMO Beyer would be doing better by releasing a new upper tier product themselves instead of this nonsense.

Dec 12, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #96 of 181
Does anyone know what really defines the impedance of an headphone?
I wonder how Beyer manages to change impedance just to their liking. Isn´t it like impedance is defined through things like number of coil-windings, strength of magnetic field and stuff like that?
How is it possible to change this parameters without seriously touching the sonic signature of the phone?

Dec 12, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #97 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I don't understand this idea of a product line "refresh."

Its a cosmetic thing. If GM still sold you the 1987 Cavalier, manufacturer in 2006 it would not sell. Its dated, old in every way. However if they refresh it cosmetically, the chassis hasn't changed, you buy it because its fresh and new. Eventually those refreshes aren't enough and a new model is released, ala Cobalt.

Beyer did the same, the 770/990 were designed many moons ago and look dated. The 'new' ones though internally unchanged look modern and therefore more appealing to new buyers. They now buy themselves time to refine the product into a new 'top' of the line while their market share is secured.

Dec 12, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #98 of 181
I just called Beyer USA to see if we could get any black velour DT770 pads over here, but I can't reach anyone but a machine, rats.

Jan 30, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #101 of 181
I auditioned the new DT990 250ohm at a local hifi store today. Just a quick audition with a brand new pair and some basic Yamaha mini hifi setup as a source.

Their sound reminded me very much of old DT880 but now there really was the bass! It was deep and punchy, very good overall. Even with a good amount of bass they kept that crystal clear sound which is familiar to every DT880 owner.

They really convinced me even with that modest source and amp. It's sad that they won't borrow equipment for home test in that store but I could buy them and return them if I don't like them at home. Maybe I'll just wait them to arrive in other stores so I can give them a thorough home audition.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #103 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sture
Where hifi store you tested those?

Actually it wasn't a hifi store. It was more of an appliance store. Musta Pörssi sells them (yeah I was surprised also).

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #104 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I auditioned the new DT990 250ohm at a local hifi store today. Just a quick audition with a brand new pair and some basic Yamaha mini hifi setup as a source.

Their sound reminded me very much of old DT880 but now there really was the bass! It was deep and punchy, very good overall. Even with a good amount of bass they kept that crystal clear sound which is familiar to every DT880 owner.

They really convinced me even with that modest source and amp. It's sad that they won't borrow equipment for home test in that store but I could buy them and return them if I don't like them at home. Maybe I'll just wait them to arrive in other stores so I can give them a thorough home audition.

So the new DT990 seems better than my beloved DT880.

Have you ever heard the "old" DT990?

bye
Andrew

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #105 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
So the new DT990 seems better than my beloved DT880.

Have you ever heard the "old" DT990?

bye
Andrew

No I haven't heard the old DT990.

Don't take my short audition as a fact. Source and amp were mediocre, they were brand new with no burn in and it was a very short audition.

But as said, they still impressed me. Must have for home audition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back